• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season long College football thread

Texas fired their AD. I think Strong was likely to be fired next season anyway.

Not disagreeing, but absent a scandal, ridiculous to fire a football coach after two seasons... Takes at least 3 or even 4 seasons for a football coach to see the benefit of his recruits and to implement his system throughout the program. Coaches that win immediately were left with talent by the previous coach; those that don't... weren't; there is little a new coach can do if there is a pervasive lack of talent. In Texas' case, Mack Brown had left the program on auto-pilot, and the talent drain at Texas was incredibly severe (1 offensive player, a 6th round pick, drafted since 2013, unheard of for Texas). Not saying Strong is the greatest coach, but he will bring in the talent and Texas would be competing for Big 12 titles if they gave him time.

Think that Strong does not help himself with Texas Boosters as he is not the warm and fuzzy type that comfortably mingles with those with influence, and if/when Texas does improve under Strong, they will be a defensive oriented team which is not as exciting as a team coached by an offensive guru. Those weaknesses will likely be enough for Texas to dump Strong, but it won't be fair.

My pulse on the situation is that most people here are still wait and see on Strong. They like that he reshuffled the offense after the Notre Dame debacle and he's done a pretty good job of recruiting in the 18 months he's been on the job.

Patterson, however, was hated by everyone. To quote one of my UT alum buddies on a group text this morning:

"Read the articles about this guy. He was inept and total piece of shit - lying to boosters, making borderline fraudulent statements about the tennis program and fundraising, etc. this was great move."

He also jacked up ticket prices and a lot of lifetime football ticket season holders have left since he came on. The whole town was against him.

My pulse on the situation is that most people here are still wait and see on Strong. They like that he reshuffled the offense after the Notre Dame debacle and he's done a pretty good job of recruiting in the 18 months he's been on the job.

Patterson, however, was hated by everyone. To quote one of my UT alum buddies on a group text this morning:

"Read the articles about this guy. He was inept and total piece of shit - lying to boosters, making borderline fraudulent statements about the tennis program and fundraising, etc. this was great move."

He also jacked up ticket prices and a lot of lifetime football ticket season holders have left since he came on. The whole town was against him.

Good thing we don't have an asshole for an AD who lies to boosters about "culture issues" and then hires his buddy to run his best revenue sport directly into the ground. Really glad that's not us!

Good thing we don't have an asshole for an AD who lies to boosters about "culture issues" and then hires his buddy to run his best revenue sport directly into the ground. Really glad that's not us!

That's the difference between a big state school AD and the AD of a private school where the opinions (and egos) of only 4-5 people actually matter.

QB is about the only problem spot for UGA but obviously that's a bad place to have a problem. They've got the #2 rated HS QB in the country, #7 in the Scout 300, coming in next year. But with either Ramsey or Lambert at QB, they will continue to struggle this year. They won't be able to rely on just the running game, which is one of the best in they country, against Alabama.

Alabama ? Hell, I'm concerned about USC right now.

Any realignment implications from this?

Good question.

Not disagreeing, but absent a scandal, ridiculous to fire a football coach after two seasons... Takes at least 3 or even 4 seasons for a football coach to see the benefit of his recruits and to implement his system throughout the program. Coaches that win immediately were left with talent by the previous coach; those that don't... weren't; there is little a new coach can do if there is a pervasive lack of talent. In Texas' case, Mack Brown had left the program on auto-pilot, and the talent drain at Texas was incredibly severe (1 offensive player, a 6th round pick, drafted since 2013, unheard of for Texas). Not saying Strong is the greatest coach, but he will bring in the talent and Texas would be competing for Big 12 titles if they gave him time.

Think that Strong does not help himself with Texas Boosters as he is not the warm and fuzzy type that comfortably mingles with those with influence, and if/when Texas does improve under Strong, they will be a defensive oriented team which is not as exciting as a team coached by an offensive guru. Those weaknesses will likely be enough for Texas to dump Strong, but it won't be fair.

Agreed, but Texas Boosters can only look up in the rankings at Baylor, TCU, and A&M for so long.

Even Justin Maynard can't stop angry Texans

Maryland had a bad Saturday, so the starting QB is now third string and a guy who can barely walk (knee surgery last season) is now starting. Also, some true freshmen are now the starting wideouts. All is not well in College Park after the loss to Bowling Green.

Maryland had a bad Saturday, so the starting QB is now third string and a guy who can barely walk (knee surgery last season) is now starting. Also, some true freshmen are now the starting wideouts. All is not well in College Park after the loss to Bowling Green.

The new starting QB has played in the past and looked a pretty solid pocket passer to me. I'd love to see Maryland implode but I'm not convinced a loss to Bowling Green means the Terps are destined for a poor season.

He had surgery a year ago, he can run fine lol

Good question.

Agreed, but Texas Boosters can only look up in the rankings at Baylor, TCU, and A&M for so long.

If Chad Morris has a good year or 2 at SMU, he or Art Briles will be in line next at Texas if Charlie can't turn it around or isn't given enough time to turn it around.

Briles isn't going anywhere. He's paid $4.2 million/year at Baylor. What would Texas be willing to throw at him? $5 million/year? I don't know if that is a big enough bump to lure him away from a program that's considerably better than Texas right now.

Back