• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Selling a ring

Skydog Deac

Reaction score
I know nothing about selling jewelry, or gold, so I'm soliciting expertise. A weird thing happened about five years ago. I received a ring in the mail from someone in Chicago. There was no note inside, I have no idea who sent it, or why they sent it to me. Maybe an errant ebay sale, but why they sent it to my address, I will never know. Anyway, it's heavy gold with a purple stone. A jeweler in my town appraised it and said it might be worth about $1000, and might be from the 1950's. I want to sell it now. Do I just get an official appraisal and try to sell it via ebay? Just sell it somewhere where they buy gold? If so, are there some gold buyers more legit than others? Thanks for any advice.

I know nothing about selling jewelry, or gold, so I'm soliciting expertise. A weird thing happened about five years ago. I received a ring in the mail from someone in Chicago. There was no note inside, I have no idea who sent it, or why they sent it to me. Maybe an errant ebay sale, but why they sent it to my address, I will never know. Anyway, it's heavy gold with a purple stone. A jeweler in my town appraised it and said it might be worth about $1000, and might be from the 1950's. I want to sell it now. Do I just get an official appraisal and try to sell it via ebay? Just sell it somewhere where they buy gold? If so, are there some gold buyers more legit than others? Thanks for any advice.

You will probably get much more if you are able to sell it as a ring, not just for the gold. Gold buyers usually only pay by weight and purity of gold.
So, if you want to maximize return, get it appraised and sell it as a piece of jewelry.

Sounds like the Heart ring, the lamest of all the CP rings.

law enforcement used to deploy that tactic as a way of tapping peoples homes. I assume you have kept that ring somewhere in your bedroom the last few years?

You will probably get much more if you are able to sell it as a ring, not just for the gold. Gold buyers usually only pay by weight and purity of gold.
So, if you want to maximize return, get it appraised and sell it as a piece of jewelry.

Thanks, all I wanted was one real answer!

Back