• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SHELTON MITCHELL DECOMMITS?

Someone asked about Baby's comment on Moto, here it is:

Being "more comfortable with" the previous staff does not necessarily mean that the players like them. For the final time, the players did not like our former HC (except for DGreen). Their opinions varied, but he was not liked. However, he was all they knew. They learned some things from him. Among those things were that if you were a marginally good player who was recruited by that coach and threatened to transfer if things didnt go the way you liked, then you pretty much got what you wanted.

There is a new sheriff in town. When a rising junior goes in to the new HC and says that he wants to play one position and not another, and if he cant play where he wants to play then he will transfer, then the new HC says, "fine, good luck to you."

In this case, it means that we are much better off with our basketball program than we were few months ago. Things are moving in the right direction.

This seems odd to me. Wouldn't Manning have simply said, "Sure. Work on your ballhandling and jumper and I'll let you compete for the job." Our threes are Rountree and Gmac. It's not like we're stacked at the 3. I know people have claimed Gmac looks good, but so did Cam Stanley and Steve Lepore. He's a skinnier version of Moto with no jumper. I just don't see Manning letting him go that easily.

This seems odd to me. Wouldn't Manning have simply said, "Sure. Work on your ballhandling and jumper and I'll let you compete for the job." Our threes are Rountree and Gmac. It's not like we're stacked at the 3. I know people have claimed Gmac looks good, but so did Cam Stanley and Steve Lepore. He's a skinnier version of Moto with no jumper. I just don't see Manning letting him go that easily.

I think Manning probably said that we have absolutely nobody on this team other than Thomas who can get a rebound over a middle school team, so get your ass in the weight room and learn how to box out if you want to play. When Moto explained his visions of being a point forward, Manning probably watched 30 seconds of tape, asked him if he could beat Josh Smith in a jumpshooting contest, and laughed him out of the room.

You know, BabyDeac's been on the money on everything else in the past four years, but I'm sure this is the time he posted misinformation.

Well that's not true at all. Our recruits not in the top-79 by year:
2003 (2/4) - Kyle Visser (NR), Jeremy Ingram (NR)
2004 (1/1) - Cameron Stanley (NR)
2005 (2/4) - Harvey Hale (NR), Joe Dukes (NR)
2006 (4/6) - Ish Smith (NR), LD Williams (NR), Chas McFarland (NR), Casey Crawford (NR)
2007 (1/3) - Gary Clark (NR)
2008 (0/3)
2009 (1/2) - CJ Harris (NR)
2010 (2/5) - Melvin Tabb (93), Tony Chennault (NR)

So in the eight years preceding [Redacted], 13 of our 28 recruits were not in the 70s. A recruit in the 70s was always a good get for us.

Good lord look at 2006. Would kill to have that class of "NR".

Manning is molding HIS team. Shelton, for whatever reason was not a fit for HIS team. I'm sure there will be more 'adjustments' coming in the near future. We may not have the most talented team next year, but I think we will have a team that will give 100% effort on both ends of the court. Don't forget the cupboard was left pretty bare for both DC and DM.

Kenny Beck ‏@kennybeckWXII 5m
PG Shelton Mitchell tweets that he has now officially been released from his national letter of intent at Wake Forest.

Kenny Beck ‏@kennybeckWXII 4m
As we reported last night, Mitchell's HS coach, Steve Smith at Oak Hill Academy says Mitchell was very close with Jeff Battle

Kenny Beck ‏@kennybeckWXII 4m
Battle was not retained as an assistant coach when Danny Manning replaced Jeff [Redacted] as head coach.

Do we know if Battle was ever in consideration for the final assistant job or did he want to move on? I would've preferred him far more than Chill (and no, that's not hindsight talk).

Do we know if Battle was ever in consideration for the final assistant job or did he want to move on to somewhere else? I would've preferred him far more than Chill (and no, this isn't hindsight speaking).

I don't think you'll get much fight from anyone on this one.

You know, BabyDeac's been on the money on everything else in the past four years, but I'm sure this is the time he posted misinformation.

I didn't say he was wrong I just don't think it was as simplistic as stated. Moto was one of our better players I doubt he would push him out if the kid simply asked for a chance to play the 3. I don't think Manning is that dumb. Could be that Moto wanted assurances which Manning refused.

Do we know if Battle was ever in consideration for the final assistant job or did he want to move on? I would've preferred him far more than Chill (and no, that's not hindsight talk).

The last position is the lowest paid. Plus wasn't Jeff Associate or Assistant Head Coach? Keeping him as #3 would be an insult on multiple levels.

Battle was on staff with both Dino and [________]. It was time for him to move on.

I didn't say he was wrong I just don't think it was as simplistic as stated. Moto was one of our better players I doubt he would push him out if the kid simply asked for a chance to play the 3. I don't think Manning is that dumb. Could be that Moto wanted assurances which Manning refused.

BabyDeac's post implied the Moto demanded to play the 3 and threatened to transfer if he didn't get to, so Manning said good luck on the transfer market. The new head coach can't bow down to demands and threats.

You can bring in "your guy" or you can bring in the best player.

From every conceivable account, Mitchell > Wilbiken unless I have been on MARS.

How do you know for sure he is the best player? We have seen times before where the lower rated player ends up being the better player. Not saying it will be for sure but it isn't an exact science.

He was close to Battle (as is/was most of the team).

He was friends with Larue's sons and got close to our former staff.

No surprise he wanted out...and I don't think thats a condemnation of our new staff. It just sucks because we are so thin on talent.

Personally, I think he would have been good for us. Not basing my opinion on rankings, just a gut feeling.

The old staff couldn't coach and couldn't recruit. Shelton could be a good player on an average team, not someone that can change a program. If he was so dead set on playing for a bunch of clowns(larue included) and wouldn't want to be at Wake with a better coach,then he can go elsewhere.

The old staff couldn't coach and couldn't recruit. Shelton could be a good player on an average team, not someone that can change a program. If he was so dead set on playing for a bunch of clowns(larue included) and wouldn't want to be at Wake with a better coach,then he can go elsewhere.

Hard to sell a 2* program with a 1* HC to a 4* or 5* player.

Battle is a great recruiter and even he had problems.

Sucky HC, very little chance of even making the NCAA tourney AND you have to go to class? On a campus full of spoiled, rich white kids who don't even bother to show up for the games?

No thank-you.

1eqrl.jpg

Phone pos

Hard to sell a 2* program with a 1* HC to a 4* or 5* player.

Battle is a great recruiter and even he had problems.

Sucky HC, very little chance of even making the NCAA tourney AND you have to go to class? On a campus full of spoiled, rich white kids who don't even bother to show up for the games?

No thank-you.

Fair points. It is truly astonishing what Wellman did to this program. If love to know the entire truth about how we ended up with the [Redacted], but I suspect we will never really know for certain.

Back