• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smart TV vs Regular TV

RD, thanks for pointing that model out. I hadn't reviewed it. I guess i had been focussing on the vt50, gt50, st50, and ut50 which are all smart tv's and have great picture quality. Apparently in a dark room,the U50 lineup will do pretty well. Getting a 60" plasma for under $900 isn't too shabby. So, my analogy wasn't exactly equivalent, i was just trying to prove a point.

I bought a smart tv back in August, but didn't choose that particular model for that reason (it's a plasma and the lower end models don't do well with ambient light). I use the Netflix functionality frequently, but it still wouldn't alter my thinking for the same reasons mentioned by others.

ETA: for those curious, I bought a Panasonic ST50, and absolutely love it so far.

I bought the U50 a couple months ago and I love it. Blu-rays on it look amazing. My PS3 covers all the "smart" features I need.

Edited to add: Just checked on Amazon - $599. That's a hell of a price for this TV.

Last edited:
RD, thanks for pointing that model out. I hadn't reviewed it. I guess i had been focussing on the vt50, gt50, st50, and ut50 which are all smart tv's and have great picture quality. Apparently in a dark room,the U50 lineup will do pretty well. Getting a 60" plasma for under $900 isn't too shabby. So, my analogy wasn't exactly equivalent, i was just trying to prove a point.

No worries, and I freely admit if you want the top, top, TOP of the line picture, your original statement certainly holds true.

I bought the U50 a couple months ago and I love it. Blu-rays on it look amazing. My PS3 covers all the "smart" features I need.

Edited to add: Just checked on Amazon - $599. That's a hell of a price for this TV.

I think I paid $1000 for mine. Obviously more, but I get some sun on that wall of my living room so I was worried that the U50 wouldn't be bright enough.

I love Plasma and i'm a big proponent of 720p, but once you get to 50 inches you can tell the difference between 720 and 1080, especially on bluray. I still think Plasma is the way to go, the color, black levels, and refresh rates for low-mid level plasmas are much better than LCD's and most LEDs in their same price range.

I love Plasma and i'm a big proponent of 720p, but once you get to 50 inches you can tell the difference between 720 and 1080, especially on bluray. I still think Plasma is the way to go, the color, black levels, and refresh rates for low-mid level plasmas are much better than LCD's and most LEDs in their same price range.

Just for the record, the U50 is 1080P.

I bought a smart tv back in August, but didn't choose that particular model for that reason (it's a plasma and the lower end models don't do well with ambient light). I use the Netflix functionality frequently, but it still wouldn't alter my thinking for the same reasons mentioned by others.

ETA: for those curious, I bought a Panasonic ST50, and absolutely love it so far.

My current Panny is on the way out and the ST50 is at the top of my list for obvious reasons.

Any negatives so far? My only tough decision is 50" or 55"...

Bought a gt55 about a year ago and absolutely love it.

For those considering what size to buy I agree with consumer reports. If the cost difference is not a factor and the room you have, need to fit into an existing spot/piece of furniture etc, is not an issue go a size bigger than you think you want. You won't be disappointed.

My current Panny is on the way out and the ST50 is at the top of my list for obvious reasons.

I bought the ST30 last year and love it. The bezel isn't one of the thin, pretty ones, but the picture, quality and the price were all phenomenal. Panasonic also releases updates and fixes for the TV, which is cool.

Nope. I guess it's probably thicker and heavier than most LED and LCD TV's, but I have had no issues whatsoever.

It is kind of annoying that by default there's an ad that shows up sometimes (maybe just when you power it on, I don't remember), but that's easy enough to turn off.

Nope. I guess it's probably thicker and heavier than most LED and LCD TV's, but I have had no issues whatsoever.

It is kind of annoying that by default there's an ad that shows up sometimes (maybe just when you power it on, I don't remember), but that's easy enough to turn off.

Is it the add for the 3 free apps? Mine still does that too.

120 Hz rate is better than 60...correct??? Looking at a "cheap" 40 inch tv's at costco...one is a Vizio that is 60 hz...the other is a 120hz Both tv's are about 350 bucks. Just need a new set to put in the office and to hook the XBOX up to. The sofa is about 6 feet away from the tv.

Is it the add for the 3 free apps? Mine still does that too.

I don't remember, I turned it off immediately.

menu-->set-up-->advanced set-up-->Viera Connect Banner

Ugh, I am kicking myself. I was going to buy the Panasonic U50 from Amazon and have it here in time for the Ohio State/Michigan game on Saturday. Then it went on sale at Amazon (only $798 right now!) and I didn't immediately buy it and set up the delivery date. Now the earliest I can get one here from Amazon is December 10. #firstworldproblems

ETA: Hmmm, just did some measuring and the 50 inch may fit better than the 60 in the space I have. May go with that and save some more money!

Last edited:
Back