• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

I bought 4 shoulders yesterday, can't wait to get out and have my first smoke of the Spring on Friday night.

I'm doing pork on Saturday for the fiancées cousins who are coming into town. Kind of feel like I might want to do something else along with the pork.

Last time out I tried to add wings but wasn't very happy with the result. There is a restaurant here in Winston (Brothers) that has awesome smoked wings and I have been trying to copy them but unsuccessful to date.

The bbq joint near my house has amazing smoked wings. There is a spicy/salty/sweet dry rub on there that is just ridiculous.

This is my buddy's company

http://www.olehickorypits.com/mobhome

They are awesome smokers. We did this last weekend:

1284803352ecd133de867756e544ff01.jpg

1d7acd467cd609cdf02f7161659f1395.jpg

Last time out I tried to add wings but wasn't very happy with the result. There is a restaurant here in Winston (Brothers) that has awesome smoked wings and I have been trying to copy them but unsuccessful to date.

The bad thing about wings, they take on so much of the smoke, so you have to experiment a few times to determine how long they need to cook before you wrap them up.

I really need to get/build a smaller smoker, but the $$ just isnt there right now. I've still got quite a few deer shoulders in my freezer, so I may smoke one of them this weekend. I honestly need to go through my chest freezer to see what I've got in there.

I believe that many of the restaurants that serve smoked wings smoke them for a period and then finish it on the grill or oven/broiler. I know that's how a couple local places do it.

I believe that many of the restaurants that serve smoked wings smoke them for a period and then finish it on the grill or oven/broiler. I know that's how a couple local places do it.

Yeah. You only need to smoke them for a few minutes to add flavor, then finish on a grill, under a broiler or in a fryer to crisp the skin. Chicken skin "low and slow" is gross, and wings are mostly skin.

Ahh, I forgot fryer. I knew something seemed off. I believe that's what the place around the corner from me does.

Dont need to fry for crispy, tasty, smoked wings. Just smoke them @ a relatively high temp with mild wood, that way they crisp up and don't absorb too much smoke.

I hit them with BGE Viva Caliente rub, then put them on the BGE at about 350 for an hour with mild wood like apple. After an hour, hit them with your fav sauce (I use a 50/50 mix bt Franks and Fox Bros Wing sauce, and up the temp to 400 for about 15-20 minutes. This crisps the skin and glazes the sauce. Money smoked wings in 1.5 hrs.

61aWkvcyr7L._SY355_.jpg

6a00d834561f7869e20120a62fa094970c-320wi

Yeah. You only need to smoke them for a few minutes to add flavor, then finish on a grill, under a broiler or in a fryer to crisp the skin. Chicken skin "low and slow" is gross, and wings are mostly skin.

That's what I've done. Smoke for maybe an hour, pull them off for a while and then grill them later on before serving. Gotta crisp that skin.

Its not competition charcoal, but Lowe's has 2 20lb bags of Kingsford on sale this week for Memorial Day.

Yup. It's the best time of the year if you use K. Looks like it's 2 for the price of 1 at my local Lowes. Occasionally they'll have lump charcoal on sale around Memorial Day too, but I don't see it right now.

doing my first smoke since 2014 on Sunday :willynilly:

(at least that's the plan)

doing my first smoke since 2014 on Sunday :willynilly:

(at least that's the plan)

Fired her up for the first time since August 2013 (I'm an idiot above) for two pork shoulders....I think I used a little bit too much mustard before applying the rub so there didn't seem to be as much flavor from that, but it was still a big hit. Accompanied it with old bay coleslaw, addicting macaroni salad, and two tomato pies that got absolutely demolished. Made two sauces from the Franklin BBQ book (basic BBQ sauce for all-around use and a fairly hot vinegar-based guy) that I really liked but they didn't get used much. I like reheating the meat with the sauces to add some moisture, so I'm gonna play with that this week as I make more sandwiches/pork tacos.

First pic: fresh out the smoker (I did remove the skin before pulling, but I've pulled the skin too - adds a lot of fat and a different layer of flavor....the fat is great to have when reheating in a pan) and the second is right after pulling (bear claws FTW!)

I just realized the smoke ring isn't very visible, I guess because all of those pieces ended up at the bottom of the pan

3624823.jpg

3624824.jpg

I also grabbed two bags of Kingsford at Lowe's this weekend. Good deal. I didn't need much of it though. Loaded the WSM for a whole chicken and never needed to add fuel for the five hour smoke.

First pic: fresh out the smoker (I did remove the skin before pulling, but I've pulled the skin too - adds a lot of fat and a different layer of flavor....the fat is great to have when reheating in a pan) and the second is right after pulling (bear claws FTW!)

Many people down here order the skins as an appetizer. The local BBQ joints take them and deep fry them, and they're sold out within minutes.

I used to always get the skin sandwich at Pig Pickins by the stadium, loved that thing. A taco truck in WS has skins as a 'meat' so I like to get the skin taco's. My wife just shakes her head whenever I do that. I haven't done a shoulder with the skin on, I guess I need to get it from a butcher because the Costco ones don't have the skin and that is where I tend to buy my meat.

Back