• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So....how many guys said 'no thanks' ?

HONDO2

Reaction score
With all due respect, Danny Manning was NOT an obvious choice from day one and if this is a 'home run' as per Dan Collins than those outfield fences are ALOT shorter than I thought. It certainly appears the search hit at least 2-3 dead ends and Wellman/Hatch/Big Donors started scrambling to salvage the whole situation. On the plus side, Manning won't be as expensive as the other targets would have been but he's a definite newbe at head coaching and now he's heading up an ACC team ? YIKES !!

I doubt this hire is gonna really energize the fan base. Rather, I already get a clear sense that many here have initially taken a cautious wait-and-see or hope-for-the-best view. After the last 4 years, that's not what we wanted IMO.

He hasn't been hired. He's the only guy we know who was interviewed. People are going to feel pretty stupid if an A hire is announced.

He hasn't been hired. He's the only guy we know who was interviewed. People are going to feel pretty stupid if an A hire is announced.

Others were interviewed. Our "A" wont be hired

Define "no thanks".

From what I know we offered the job to two guys: Shaka and Manning.

3631997-uh_wtf_gif.gif

Why would they fly him to Winston if he hadn't been hired? At this rate, it would look worse for Wake if Manning said no. We'd be a bigger laughing stock than we already are.

Why would they fly him to Winston if he hadn't been hired? At this rate, it would look worse for Wake if Manning said no. We'd be a bigger laughing stock than we already are.

Maybe he was visiting family on Wake's dime?

anyone who you can imagine above manning told wellman to fuck off

the coaching fraternity hates rons guts

Agree that he hasn't been hired yet, but when have you ever seen a candidate come visit the campus and team openly and then not be named coach?

Agree that he hasn't been hired yet, but when have you ever seen a candidate come visit the campus and team openly and then not be named coach?

Exactly. It would be even more bizarre and embarrassing if he went through all those steps only to say no.

there are probably only 2 or 3 people on earth who know the answer to that question, and they don't post here

You have to be relevant to be a laughing stock. This is far, far down the news cycle nationally. No one cares but us, and whatever school we hire the coach from.

I haven't heard of one, but if I had to guess it would be possible with a guy who leaked early in our search that he was a candidate purely to leverage his shot school, is paid by burger King to tweet about burgers, takes more than two seconds to decide between WF and Tulsa, chose to go to Kansas because his dad was given a phony job, tweets about burger King....

Why would the coaching fraternity hate Ron's guts? As Wake fans, we have our reasons. But outsiders?

We only can surmise, given the consensus that RW went hard after Shaka Smart, that Smart said no. Amaker may have been interviewed, but we don't know that he was offered, only that he wants to stay at Harvard. We don't know where in the order of candidates he was. I doubt if Gregg Marshall was on the list. His somewhat disparaging remarks about Wake make me think that he harbors a grudge for not getting the job, or at least an interview, four years ago, plus, I doubt if he would get along with his boss which is seldom a good thing. There must have been more to the Ben Howland situation at UCLA than meets the eye, as there have been no rumors about an approach to him, unlike the rumors that Marquette was after him. So, to be fair, the only one we can be reasonably sure said "no" to an offer is probably Shaka Smart. However, unless Manning was much higher on RW's list than most of us supposed (and there were some of us who touted him from the beginning when it looked like Shaka was out), we can assume, but probably never know, that at least a couple of others declined, or, alternatively, that their interviews did not go well and RW moved along. I think the earlier comments that RW was going to "swing for the fences" got everyone's hopes up. We momentarily forgot the old adage that disappointment is a function of expectation. I certainly expected better than this and I suspect RW did, as well.

Back