• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Songs that changed your life

Nothing life changing, but...

My "eureka" music moment happed soph year of high school. I wasn't 16 yet and a neighbor who was a year older lived a street away would usually give me a ride to school. I grew up listening to classic rock. One morning he had Reba by Phish playing. I had never heard anything like it before but my ears and mood were just so happy listening to it. That one song/moment opened the door to an entire different genre of music that to this day I still primarily prefer. Actually now Phish are not really my thing, but are who got me started.

Went to the Wake/UVA game in Charlottesville in February 1996. Wake was a top 10 team and heavy favorite. UVA won. Went back to a friend of friends place who went to UVA and proceeded to have a typical college night. So happened that my 20th birthday was the next day. Sometime after midnight a bunch of us ended up haning out of a rooftop with music playing. It was then I heard Neil Young's "Sugar Mountain" for the first time, literally hours after turning twenty years old. Very surreal.

Went with a friend to see Neil at Chapel Hill in college right after his 22nd birthday.

POWDERFINGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alice in Chains is one of my favorite bands of all time. Their Unplugged show on MTV IMO is one of the best soundtracks from start to finish ever produced.

Absolutely!

Robert Earl Keen's 'Feelin' Good Again' tipped me off to singer/songwriters on the fringes of country. Heard it on the alternative rock station for some reason the summer after my freshman year at Wake. I had been rock/grunge/alternative to that point so this one bridged the gap for me. Once I started listening to the rest of REK's stuff, I went more in the country-alt rock direction, though that arguably could have started with Cracker. Saw REK for the first time at Ziggy's in the fall of my sophomore year.

Florida Georgia Line is picking up where Rascal Flatts and Sugarland left off in redefining how awful modern "country" music can be.

Last edited:
You mean FGL is really good? This statement is confusing.
No, they are truly horrid. I used to really dislike Rascal Flatts and Sugarland among others and wonder how much more awful "country" music could get. Then Florida Georgia Line came along and completely redefined awful.

"I Touch Myself"

I love myself, I want you to love me
When I feel down, I want you above me
I search myself, I want you to find me
I forget myself, I want you to remind me

I don't want anybody else
When I think about you, I touch myself
Ooh, I don't want anybody else
Oh no, oh no, oh no

You're the one who makes me come runnin'
You're the sun who makes me shine
When you're around, I'm always laughin'
I want to make you mine

I close my eyes and see you before me
Think I would die if you were to ignore me
A fool could see just how much I adore you
I'd get down on my knees, I'd do anything for you

Oh no, oh no, oh no

Oh no, oh no, oh no

I want you
Ooh ooh ooh ooh ah ah ah ah oh ah

I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I honestly do

I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I honestly do

I touch myself
I touch myself

Interesting thread idea. A few that have been hugely influential to me:

"Giant Steps" - John Coltrane
"I let a song go out of my heart" Duke Ellington (featuring Johnny Hodges)
"Say it Ain't So" - Weezer
"When I come Around" - Greenday
"Wild Thing" - The Troggs
"Back in Black" - AC/DC
"Red House" - Jimi Hendrix
"Action & Action" - The Get Up Kids

And for my serious response:

"Good ol boys like me" -Don Williams

"Choices" - George Jones

"My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" - Willie Nelson

"Sunday Morning Coming Down" - Johnny Cash

Who - The Live at Leeds version of 'My Generation' - liked the who already but in around 10th grade a friend played this album side (with Magic bus) and it blew my mind.

Pink Floyd - Astronomie Domine - First time I ever tripped listened to Umma Gumma over and over

GD - The Golden Road (to unlimited devotion) - 10th grade introduction into the Dead first song on cassette of Skeletons from the Closet

Dylan - Visions of Johanna

Steely Dan - My Old School

Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK - intro to punk rock in the 7th grade

Sabbath - War Pigs - aforementioned reasons

Rod Stewart - Hot Legs - feel like I have to mention my first favorite song when I was about 7 or 8 and then the first album I bought with my own money was Foot Loose and Fancy Free.

Rush - Red Barchetta - my intro to Rush, lifelong fan

I remember exactly where I was when I first heard "Long and winding road" by The Beatles. I was a little kid but it blew me away. Also, the first song I heard after the birth of my son was "You are so beautiful" by Joe Cocker so that song has always been special to me

[video=vimeo;51713268]http://vimeo.com/51713268[/video]

Alice in Chains is one of my favorite bands of all time. Their Unplugged show on MTV IMO is one of the best soundtracks from start to finish ever produced.

My wife is a huge Nirvana fan. We argue all the time about which band had the better Unplugged album/session, but I maintain that it is and will forever be Alice in Chains.

Hotel California was the first album I owned as a kid. Still know every word from every son on it.
Born in the USA album got me into Springsteen and his prior music. Seeing the Bllack Crowes at Baity's was awesome. Hard to Handle.

"I Touch Myself"

I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I honestly do

I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I touch myself
I honestly do

I touch myself
I touch myself

My feelings about that song changed when I realized it was written by a man.

Back