• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stay John Collins!

If Collins thought for a minute he might stay we'd have won by 10 tonight.

The only silver lining of this pathetic tournament exit is that our interior defense will almost certainly improve after JC's exit. Manning will have to work to replace his offensive production, but the 20 point game streak has drastically overrated Collin's value to our team.

This is a Winter Storm Stella-cold take. You think he killed himself all season only to mail it in tonight? Makes no sense.

He's gonna have a huge uphill battle in the pros whether he leaves now or next year. You can't teach or coach defensive effort, that one is and will always be on the individual player. When he wanted to play defense he performed well, when he wanted to maximize his minutes to maximize his offensive output maximize his chance at being a lottery pick he chose to minimize his defensive presence and effort. With that mentality I won't be sad to see him gone. Good luck in the d league big guy, we won't forget you.

Come on, this is foolish. He will be greatly missed. Guy finished 2nd in ACC player of the year voting this year. Had what like 12 straight 20-10 games? If he is playing in the d-league he will still be making millions of dollars off his rookie deal, so I can't blame him.

This is a Winter Storm Stella-cold take. You think he killed himself all season only to mail it in tonight? Makes no sense.

Yeah. Plenty of players boost their draft stock in March. Collins could have vaulted himself into the lottery with a good week.

Baptists. Good Lord. Can never hold their booze. You all a damn mess.

Collins should go. Maybe he stays. But he should go. He'll get drafted in the 1st round and make more money than even donaldross and take care of his family.

He's the only reason we did anything this season, to be honest. He does still have all sorts of flaws to his game, but he's already proven to be a quick learner and capable of making unanticipated jumps between seasons. Guess what! The NBA likes potential and drafts accordingly. He's a stud. Thanks for the ride, JC, appreciate you making us care again.

As long as he's assured that he goes by 20, he has to leave. Only a crazy person would come back and turn down that money when the draft is so heavily slanted towards underclassmen. If he stays, it basically is a strike against him unless he plays significantly better next year. If he goes another season and still can't handle bigger defenders and still can't play defense then the whole "upside" reason for drafting him is gone.

Whether Collins stays or goes, we're still two years away from Manning getting enough talent to compete with the very best teams at this level. We don't have the personnel on both sides of the ball yet to be truly elite.

I agree that our current roster is severely deficient; however, I think a team with Collins on it next year could be a pretty damn good team. Especially if we can add another big man with some semblance of athletic ability via a grad transfer. Personally I think Collins had to play out of position this year on defense, as he was basically the only rim defender on the court for what basically end up being perpetual lay-up drills for the other teams. After picking up a lot of cheap fouls early in the season on hedges, block attempts, and other help defense, I think he finally realized that it was better for him to just back off a lot, in an effort to stay on the court more. If he had somebody else on the court with him that could be the last line of defense around the hoop, that would probably allow Collins to play better defense out on the court.

Yeah. Plenty of players boost their draft stock in March. Collins could have vaulted himself into the lottery with a good week.

But it's insane and dumb and idiotic to think coming back for another year could do the same thing...LOL...okay.

Reactions: DDA
he's gone

Agreed. Why would he stay when he could stick several guaranteed millions in the bank...especially if it turns out that he will be a lottery pick?

I think the question people need to begin asking is whether Crawford might leave as well. He would be drafted, too, if he decided to opt out. Once Collins is gone, another year in college might not look very appetizing to Crawford, either.

Come on, this is foolish. He will be greatly missed. Guy finished 2nd in ACC player of the year voting this year. Had what like 12 straight 20-10 games? If he is playing in the d-league he will still be making millions of dollars off his rookie deal, so I can't blame him.

I have no qualms with him leaving and no sour grapes, just wish he would recognize the biggest flaw in his game and address it. I really hope he tears the NBA up, but if I'm a scout for one of the teams with a lottery pick or hell, any NBA team looking at him for a first round pick, I would be very very hesitant. If he adds 10-15 lbs and gets even halfway solid on the defensive end he will do very well. Thanks for the good times this season JC!

Definitely will fit right in to the long streak of Deacon first round picks that didn't do squat in the NCAA Tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it's insane and dumb and idiotic to think coming back for another year could do the same thing...LOL...okay.

What does that have to do with what I posted?

I have no qualms with him leaving and no sour grapes, just wish he would recognize the biggest flaw in his game and address it. I really hope he tears the NBA up, but if I'm a scout for one of the teams with a lottery pick or hell, any NBA team looking at him for a first round pick, I would be very very hesitant. If he adds 10-15 lbs and gets even halfway solid on the defensive end he will do very well. Thanks for the good times this season JC!

I just don't think people realize how highly unlikely this is if he did come back and how much money he would cost himself.

Whether Collins stays or goes, we're still two years away from Manning getting enough talent to compete with the very best teams at this level. We don't have the personnel on both sides of the ball yet to be truly elite.

And you're not ever again going to have that kind of personnel at WF in this ACC. That's what so many Wake fans can't get thru their heads....and what is going to lead to perpetual frustration if they do not find a way to come to grips with the reality of WF's situation today.

Unless there is some crazy competitive fire in Collins, which I've never seen, that wants to come back to show how good he can be, then there is no reason to believe he's not gone. And even if there is a crazy competitive thing going on, its still a bad idea to stay and give up a year of NBA guaranteed money.

What does that have to do with what I posted?

THat you're a hypocrite...when I called for JC to stay you and others stated he couldn't move up if he came back....but he could with a couple games in March?

Yes. Absolutely. 100%. Without question.

Look, I love me some Collins. He's our best player, he's dominant when he wants to be on offense. But yes, when he scores zero blocks or steals on our side of the floor for the first time since our ACC opener against FSU - the hype took its toll. No bullshit - if he played for any other team you'd look at our critical games and see Bonzie crushing him and LeDay shooting 80% over 2 games - it'd be a huge issue. He was high offensive output but poor defense all year, and we were hoping he'd step it up in the tourney. He didn't. And our guards didn't play well enough to cover him.

Collins leaving is no worse than Devin graduating at this point.

Agreed. Why would he stay when he could stick several guaranteed millions in the bank...especially if it turns out that he will be a lottery pick?

I think the question people need to begin asking is whether Crawford might leave as well. He would be drafted, too, if he decided to opt out. Once Collins is gone, another year in college might not look very appetizing to Crawford, either.

Crawford is a year away from being drafted, imo. He needs to improve defensively to be able to stick in the league. One thing that could work in our favor is that the next CBA will increase rookie contracts significantly. Collins could not improve his stock and still make substantially more getting drafted in the same spot.

Not to be Debbie downer, although we are all down anyhow, it doesn't matter who comes back. Crawford and Collins back means nothing. This team just gave up 95+ points in their last two postseason games. 95! Not to ucla. Not to Kentucky. Not to Duke. Not to unc.
The powerhouses of Virginia tech and Kansas state.

If wake doesn't fix the defensive problems it doesn't matter who is on the roster

Just my humble opinion
;)

Back