• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Clawson still has a credibility thread after 7 straight bowls and an Atlantic Division championship.
Clawson: 1 winning record in 8 ACC seasons (let's not count losing record in covid season) - 12.5%
Forbes: 1 winning record in 1 ACC season (again, not counting covid season) - 100%

They are not the same.

Clawson: 1 winning record in 8 ACC seasons (let's not count losing record in covid season) - 12.5%
Forbes: 1 winning record in 1 ACC season (again, not counting covid season) - 100%

They are not the same.
This post….wow

This post….wow
I mean... if you take Wake's really poor football history out of it, you wouldn't be thrilled with Clawson. Basketball and football are very different, but in one real year of Forbes basketball catapulted into the top third of the ACC, a place Clawson has only been once. Don't see the need for a credibility thread for either coach but suggesting it's more ridiculous to have one for Clawson than Forbes is silly.

Because you can’t take Wake Forest Football history out of it. Jesus.
I'm just not really sure how the century of suck is relevant now. We currently have some of the best facilities in the ACC and a huge institutional commitment to football that we lacked in the past. I applaud Clawson for his role in creating this commitment to football, but I definitely don't think the 1950s-2000s should be any sort of barometer to judge him against. I think he should be judged against other ACC schools, and with that as a barometer Forbes has been better so far. Glad we have both of them, a credibility thread for either is needless, but yea especially after this season somehow going 3-5 including 0-3 against rivals with the most talented team we've ever had... I'm not one to make Clawson immortal, that's all.

Credibility threads are a staple of the boards.

Bowl appearances not really worth comparing.

My biggest complaint about clawson is not showing up in big games. We are lucky to have both. Was stoked about Forbes from the day his name was floated.

Bowl games aren’t really comparable to tourney appearances so let’s throw that aside. But Clawson got us to an ACC Championship game. That’s the equivalent to something that has happened twice before him if you include the first championship.

Even if you disregard history, we’re a small, academically rigorous school in a state with two state schools in our own conference and one of the biggest college brands in history. On top of that, Wake is full of rich white students. I don’t think Clawson is perfect, but what he has done here is nothing short of a miracle. If you don’t see it that way, go ask every other similarly situated school how they’d like the past five years of football on their own campuses.

Even if you disregard history, we’re a small, academically rigorous school in a state with two state schools in our own conference and one of the biggest college brands in history. On top of that, Wake is full of rich white students. I don’t think Clawson is perfect, but what he has done here is nothing short of a miracle. If you don’t see it that way, go ask every other similarly situated school how they’d like the past five years of football on their own campuses.
Wtf does having rich white students have to do with anything? It’s not like your average student plays on the team. Notre Dame is pretty good, even whiter and richer, and more academically rigorous. Duke is also rich and rigorous and Clawson somehow has losing record against them in his tenure. Also, describing UNC as one of the biggest college brands in history isn’t even close to accurate. I believe they’re like the 6th biggest football brand in the ACC in a recent study. If you think one winning league record in 9 years is miraculous for Wake Forest, you must think extremely poorly of our athletic department. Thank goodness we have Currie running the show, he does not share this mentality.

What makes ND more academically rigorous than Wake?
I would say the academics. I don’t usually subscribe to any argument about that though as every school has easy majors and classes if you want to pursue that, so it just comes down to how strict admissions are for athletes. Overall, ND is significantly more difficult to gain admission to, but I guess it’s probably similar for athletes.

Back