• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

On paper, you can see why Wellman thought that would work. He hired a Big XII head coach who had been an NBA head coach. I think [Redacted] was the only Wake head coach in a major sport to come from a power conference. Wellman probably thought it was a home run.
Can you though? Prior to Wake [Redacted] was a head coach for 9 seasons. 10 if we count the season in Denver when he got fired. In those 10 seasons he only had a winning record 3 times, the last being 3 years before Wellman hired him.

On paper, you can see why Wellman thought that would work. He hired a Big XII head coach who had been an NBA head coach. I think [Redacted] was the only Wake head coach in a major sport to come from a power conference. Wellman probably thought it was a home run.
Yes I think it is most likely redacted was the top choice. Wellman was so smug about it and gave him way too long.

Can you though? Prior to Wake [Redacted] was a head coach for 9 seasons. 10 if we count the season in Denver when he got fired. In those 10 seasons he only had a winning record 3 times, the last being 3 years before Wellman hired him.
It was an objectively bad hire. Ph is just saying on the thinnest read, hiring a Big 12 and former NBA head coach, sounds alright.

It should have been a massive red flag to everyone here when Wellman told Katz that he alone would make the choice on the next coach. What kind of arrogant ass bullshit is that from an AD with a whole department full of smart people behind him? What a smug asshole Ron Wellman is, was, and will always be. Fuck that guy.

(Full disclosure: I don't remember it being a red flag to me because Wellman had built up so much capital with the fan base at that point. But it seems he let all that go to his head. Much like the ground when he fell of his bike.)

Last edited:
It was an objectively bad hire. Ph is just saying on the thinnest read, hiring a Big 12 and former NBA head coach, sounds alright.

Right. Especially to an AD. He deluded himself into thinking we’d be impressed. The actual reaction was either disappointment, “who?”, or “In Wellman I Trust I guess.”

FWIW, “insiders” at the time report [Redacted] was choice 1. Over the [Redacted] tenure, I came to believe that was true. But equally possible, was that Ronald missed on a target or two and fell on his “safe” choice, and so as to not undermine the worst coach in ACC history, he pumped out nonsense like [Redacted] was the top choice.

Whatever "insider" reported Bzd was choice #1 on the list has zero credibility. Zero.

Of course there was the typical AD spin following the hire that Bzd was the only coach "offered" the job but that's just semantics as formal offers aren't extended until almost all of the key details are agreed upon and an acceptance is basically a slam dunk.

And this isn't just a Wake thing - Most P5 revenue hires follow the same playbook

Right. Especially to an AD. He deluded himself into thinking we’d be impressed. The actual reaction was either disappointment, “who?”, or “In Wellman I Trust I guess.”

In my career, I had the opportunity to hire a bunch of people, and unfortunately, fire a few as well. I cannot think of one single instance where I unilaterally made a hiring decision without seeking the input of peers and/or subordinates. Often, others see potential red flags where you might have a blind spot. That happened on several occasions and probably saved my ass in the long run. If Wellman was allowed total autonomy to make multi-million dollar hiring decisions, then Hatch is a bigger fool than I suspected. NO ONE should be given that kind of autonomy no matter the industry.

Agree he couldn't be #1 as our insider had us going down the path of coaches like Billy Donovan and Tom Izzo.

FWIW, “insiders” at the time report [Redacted] was choice 1. Over the [Redacted] tenure, I came to believe that was true. But equally possible, was that Ronald missed on a target or two and fell on his “safe” choice, and so as to not undermine the worst coach in ACC history, he pumped out nonsense like [Redacted] was the top choice.

If by "insiders" you mean AD staff who were paid to spread bullshit? The only day he was #1 was the day he signed the contract.

We had staff in San Jose for the first 2 rounds trying to be first in line for Alford and Stevens, among others we reached out to.

One has to remember that Forbes worked for three of the all time sleazeball recruiters in Marshall , Gillespie, and Pearl— to his credit, and our recruiting woes, Forbes was smart enough to realize those tactics and academics likely would not fly at Wake. He’s no saint on the recruiting trail.

If this means he worked for coaches who paid revenue generating players before is was "legal" in NIL, then I am fine with that. The rules at the time said that players had to be exploited. This sleaziness should make Forbes a better recruiter now, right? Or does he suffer bc the playing field is now level?

I have no problem with Forbes being sleezy on the recruiting trail or flat-out breaking the rules. Give the kids bags of cash, hookers, and cocaine, idgaf. But goddamn it get us some tournament appearances to show for it.

I have no problem with Forbes being sleezy on the recruiting trail or flat-out breaking the rules. Give the kids bags of cash, hookers, and cocaine, idgaf. But goddamn it get us some tournament appearances to show for it.

This is why at least a few of us would have been fine with Bruce Pearl.

i remember joining "premium" on those old boards for the month after we fired dino

no joke - some insiders said we were talking to izzo and billy donovan about the gig since both were "unhappy"

truly insane rumors! now we're not sure if wake is a better job than butler

i remember joining "premium" on those old boards for the month after we fired dino

no joke - some insiders said we were talking to izzo and billy donovan about the gig since both were "unhappy"

truly insane rumors! now we're not sure if wake is a better job than butler
methinks they were lying to you

We've done the exercise before of "who could we have hired post-Skip" and it's pretty staggering. Even post-Dino, it's wild. The reverence that Wake continues to give Ron Wellman is sickening.

I mean I realize this is likely partly in jest. But we may well could get hot and win something like this. That surely is not what we want.

There are a few of us that would like to go to 3-4 Sweet 16s and play on the last weekend once a decade. That is sustained success. We have not had that in the post-Odom era.
we didn't have that in any era in the history of basketball. We have played on the last weekend one time ever. We have played in 9 sweet 16s ever (1939 we were in the 8 team field but didn't have to win a game to get there.) so we average one Sweet 16/decade over the last century; if you take out the Rogers/Childress/Duncan era it's six total.

1711563248507.png

11/29/06: Air Force 94 Wake 58
Could argue biggest loss in program history. If this game doesn’t happen, the past decade plus would have been different.
I remember watching this and thinking "man I want a couple of these sharp shooters on the Deacs". Not "man I hope we get that goofy ass coach on our sidelines"

Back