• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

I’m disappointed in the lack of clean looks we are getting on offense. This is not a new problem with Forbes teams. Other squads seem to move it side to side, drive and kick and get extra pass layups/open 3s quite easily. We rely on a ton of iso high screen and pops.
On the show this week, Sallis talked about the freedom that coach sells and fosters. It’s great for bringing in talented transfers who are not excelling at higher touted programs who largely run system offenses. So the Alondes, tyree, Hunter and Efton guys get to come here and “just play free”. When it’s going well, fun as shit to watch. But when the rest of the team is subpar and we don’t do anything else well, it’s not a sustainable system
The Dukes of the world have the luxury of being able to “just throw the balls out there”. We do not. And, with these key injuries and the Reid situation, we really struggle. Forbes is a great guy and has injected enthusiasm that Bz and Manning lacked willingly. I’m appreciative of that. But winning basketball games is more than big plays by second-chance stars looking to bolster their NBA résumé’s
My two cents.

I’m disappointed in the lack of clean looks we are getting on offense. This is not a new problem with Forbes teams. Other squads seem to move it side to side, drive and kick and get extra pass layups/open 3s quite easily. We rely on a ton of iso high screen and pops.
On the show this week, Sallis talked about the freedom that coach sells and fosters. It’s great for bringing in talented transfers who are not excelling at higher touted programs who largely run system offenses. So the Alondes, tyree, Hunter and Efton guys get to come here and “just play free”. When it’s going well, fun as shit to watch. But when the rest of the team is subpar and we don’t do anything else well, it’s not a sustainable system
The Dukes of the world have the luxury of being able to “just throw the balls out there”. We do not. And, with these key injuries and the Reid situation, we really struggle. Forbes is a great guy and has injected enthusiasm that Bz and Manning lacked willingly. I’m appreciative of that. But winning basketball games is more than big plays by second-chance stars looking to bolster their NBA résumé’s
My two cents.
I don't worry about our offense. We've been top 3 in scoring in the ACC the past two years. The defense is what has held us back. The second half defense today was improved - 9 TOs and held them to 7 made baskets. But we need to be able to play defense like that against good teams, and for the entire game.

I don't worry about our offense. We've been top 3 in scoring in the ACC the past two years. The defense is what has held us back. The second half defense today was improved - 9 TOs and held them to 7 made baskets. But we need to be able to play defense like that against good teams, and for the entire game.
Agreed mostly. But our offense has also come up woefully short in clutch moments bc our guys are wiped from 1-on-1.

Closest example I can recall is the Teachey, Cline, Rudd, Young and Green team of 1983 that retired Ray Meyer and went to Final 8. A LONG, LONG time ago.

That was 1984 and it was one of my favorite Wake basketball teams. Imagine how good they could have been if Todd May had been able to play up to his recruiting rankings?

I would also consider the 1995 team in there. Sure TD and Childress are 2 of the greatest Wake players ever, but the rest of that team would have not made the NCAA tournament

That was 1984 and it was one of my favorite Wake basketball teams. Imagine how good they could have been if Todd May had been able to play up to his recruiting rankings?

I would also consider the 1995 team in there. Sure TD and Childress are 2 of the greatest Wake players ever, but the rest of that team would have not made the NCAA tournament

The DePaul game was 1984. It was the 1983-84 basketball team.

Btw, here is the entire game if anyone wants to re-live some of our glory days.

Slightly disconcerting game today. Even more disconcerting overall start to this season that has for the first time put even a little doubt into my mind around the long-term ceiling of the program under this staff, but context always matters - so let’s look big picture.

I’ll go year by year below, but what I will say is Forbes has generally been very good at figuring out which guys need to play a ton, and after about game #10/12, really plays only guys that need to. We’ve just always been 1-2 guys short (which is on him in the big picture if it doesn’t change, but not shocking to date given the circumstances of his arrival and not something I’m overly worried about). This topic deserves its own post (or series of them) which I’ll save for another time, but I’ll just say that there have been signs of tracking towards deeper teams with some continuity supplemented by a few transfers and I’m not overly worried about this aspect of roster building getting to the point where we finally have that piece that rounds the roster out enough to make the tournament.

2020-2021 - COVID year - the only P5 coach to take over a program after the pandemic restrictions had changed life for everyone — took over a dumpster fire AND wasn’t allowed to meet with potential recruits in person to give himself a competitive roster. I believe that not only did that impact this season, which I don’t count against him in the least, but it contributed to the lack of depth and zero continuity the following season that ultimately kept us about one guy short of making the tournament in year 2….

2021-2022 - 25 wins. 23-9 (13-7) on Selection Sunday.
KP:35, 41 O, 42 D, both solid.
  • This team dominated the paint — 58.5% from 2, 46.6% against, 3rd best gap in the country, behind the top 2 overall teams in the country for most of that season - Arizona and Gonzaga - and this gap was even better in conference play than overall.
  • Good defensive rebounding team, ok overall.
  • Achilles heal was TO with Alondes playing PG - take the bad with the good.

The story of this team that sort of got lost in memory is that coming off the prior disaster of a season, this team struggled for a while early on. When even one rotation player was out, everything got ugly because we had guys that had no business forced into bigger roles than they were ready for because there were no options behind them. (See VMI/Charlotte without Laravia, Clemson without Mucius, Oregon St with Sy limited.)

Also lost in memory, we really figured something out from about January 19 onwards, ranking 24th overall the rest of the way (including the tournaments, complete with BC loss). What happened then? Damari Monsanto played his first game. We didn’t get last year’s version of Damari that could dominate stretches of a game. We got a slightly limited 7th man that played about 16 minutes, showed flashes of his brilliance at times, and had an O-rtg barely above 100, and gave capable doses of rebounding and defense. So how could we have gotten that much better? Our rotation shortened to an awesome group of 7 that fit together well and didn’t have any gaping holes. And just as importantly, it gave us the ability to more or less permanently move Carter Whitt to the bench (and play the freshman version of Hildreth with his 96 Ortg much less).

The team was good enough to make the tournament, we had 6.5 dudes, and didn’t but for a large number of bad breaks that didn’t go our way and opportunitIes left on the table. A masterclass in overhauling a roster and a solid coaching job pulling that output together, but also a missed opportunity in that it won’t alleviate the pressure to make the tournament from a tortured and impatient fan base. In some ways, being that good that year may be to their detriment versus more slowly rising out of a hole as it dangerously raised expectations.

2022-2023 - Second full year with his players. Still little continuity given most of the prior year’s contributors were grad transfers. Only Monsanto and Williamson had been contributors the prior year, and Hildreth and Marsh made steps forward. Appleby and Carr big additions.

19-14, 10-10 against a harder ACC schedule
O - 52, was running around 30 prior to Monsanto injury
D - 133

This team was decent but clearly and objectively worse than the prior year’s team. It was clear early on that we only had 4.5 guys that didn’t hurt us: Appleby, Hildreth, Monsanto, and Carr, and in some matchups Marsh.

That starting lineup had one of the best +\- in the country through January — but any other combination of players wasn’t working (at all). Williamson was playing injured and a shell of himself most of the way (and we got obliterated with him on the court until basically the ACC tourney). Klintman wasn’t ready until we lost one of those guys. There was some bad luck with Laravia not coming back. I’m sure they weren’t counting on Walton or Mucius so it’s tough to give them credit there. Bradford and Ituka missed.

In any case, short at least one guy, leaving roster holes that led to tough lineup decisions all year. Given one lineup worked, we had to play it. It gave us a great offense (top 30), scrapped to slightly below average rebounding, but left a lot to be desired on rim protection (and overall defensively). I’m also pretty sure the coaches have been instructing/teaching the core not to foul due to that lack of depth, which I think exacerbates some of those problems and contributes to some of the slow starts defensively (we look a little better on that end in the second half — bad being better than putrid —every game this year so far). Klintman finally started to kick ass down the stretch…after we lost Monsanto, leaving us in the same spot all year.

It’s a team that likely shouldn’t have sniffed the tournament. But they fought hard enough and were good enough offensively that they gave themselves many chances to stay in big games. Which then made it all the more infuriating when they never got over the hump against better teams, losing 7 games by exactly 2, including 4 straight that all would’ve been the Q1/Q2 wins we needed. Season basically over. Monsanto hurt, season fully over.

2023-2024 That leads us to this year, another wonderful frustration in the life of a Wake Forest basketball fan. Year 3 with a roster of his doing. On paper, we might have a bit more minutes continuity vs last year’s 296th (24%). Hildreth, Carr, Monsanto, Marsh all returners that played big minutes. Two (or maybe just 1) former 5-stars each with multiple years left. An electric PG transfer with 3 years left. Ituka possibly as well. Never mind. Bobby Klintman. GDMF. Never mind.

Minutes continuity is up to 38%, 177th. Great. The base of guys that carry over gets a little bigger and better each year. Another good sign. All 13 players have remaining eligibility, so hopefully that number is much higher next year.

But…we have 4 guys 7 games in. 4 very good pieces, but a little redundant. It’s a roster issue again, and I’m not feeling great. Everyone else is a minus season to date. I like the freshmen, but not this year. Some good pieces around one gaping hole in the front court. Marsh is our best option at C, which is not great as it doesn’t appear he’s improved much from last year. He’s going to need to or else these pieces have no chance to be better than a below average rebounding team and average defensive team when on the floor together.

The product also hasn’t been better than the overall talent so far, which is the first year I fell that way. Sallis, Hildreth, and Boopie are all going to need to get more rebounds and force more turnovers than they are to date. They don’t have a choice. They’re playing 36, 36, 30 minutes. Along with Carr, they’re being asked to carry the offense. But they’ve got to do everything unless help comes. Maybe Reid or Monsanto provides that — not counting on it.

Last thing is looking at overall direction into next year. There are legit excuses or reasons why we’ve been 1-2 guys short. NBA, Australia, injuries, waivers. Most of that outside their control so I don’t hold those against them when looking at potential ability to build a program. But I also know that at some point momentum of a program stalls out if results are bad enough for long enough. At some point lack of talent can’t be the excuse. There has to be a season where there’s enough talent and it all comes together and shows you can make the tournament at a minimum.

I’m looking at the next year or two as put up or shut up years where there should be more than 5 playable guys, where you have all the pieces you need, and then you actually win games to get over the hump. Even if we don’t solve this year in time, our current top 4 plus Reid, Marsh, Juke, Marion, Parker plus/minus any transfer replacements should solve the roster piece of talent/depth at the same time going into next year. Enough to withstand injuries or Juke/Marion/PF not being ready or any other excuses. Pulling the plug before next year would be really short-sighted and set us back into a rebuild. But that roster will have 1 shot together. And the coaching needs to be good enough to not get in their way or there will be a lot more questions.

Last edited:
One of the consistent issues that seems to crop up is the gigantic drop off between those players that can be considered ACC level and those that aren't (or aren't, yet). I wonder if that gap contributes to the core getting worn out as the season goes on and gives us those year-end performances we're so disappointed in.

One of the consistent issues that seems to crop up is the gigantic drop off between those players that can be considered ACC level and those that aren't (or aren't, yet). I wonder if that gap contributes to the core getting worn out as the season goes on and gives us those year-end performances we're so disappointed in.
This is talked about a lot in some places. Teams need depth. More than 7 good players to make a serious run to and then into post season success. Wake is currently has three scholarship guys unable to play. Another guy doesn't look like he will contribute much. This year, two freshmen look like at least spot minute guys who can play in most games. Yesterday, it appears that a third freshman may be joining that group. The more effective minutes that the guys not starting can play, the better.

Right now we have 4 good players. We will have 5 with Monsanto. MMM and Parker are going to be good, but they’re not quite ready. Center is just going to be a struggle.

If NIL does its job, we should have those same 4 next season plus Juke and Reid. And Parker and MMM after a year of development. Next season could be special.

Right now we have 4 good players. We will have 5 with Monsanto. MMM and Parker are going to be good, but they’re not quite ready. Center is just going to be a struggle.

If NIL does its job, we should have those same 4 next season plus Juke and Reid. And Parker and MMM after a year of development. Next season could be special.
Based on yesterday's game (#small sample size), Clark could be right there with Parker and MMM.

Based on yesterday's game (#small sample size), Clark could be right there with Parker and MMM.

Small sample size against one of the worst teams in NCAA basketball

Kenny Pong has them at #342 of 362 D1 college basketball teams

I could see Keller having a Visser-esque senior year if he sticks around.

Does anybody have any idea wtf is up with Canka?

I’d be very interested to hear what Forbes expected from Canka and what he sees his role being in the future. I have…low expectations.

My two cents.
Utah had good ball movement/move without ball/passing. Not quite Spurs 2014, but good.

We dribble a lot.

I’d be very interested to hear what Forbes expected from Canka and what he sees his role being in the future. I have…low expectations.
We could really use Aaron Clark and Canka to commit to being wing defenders.

Neither will be Josh Howard, but no shot blocker means we need a commitment to wing defense.

As in right now. Don't wait. Forbes is smart and he sees what Clark did.

This is literally based on nothing.

Vissers Sr year was an incredible surprise. And Keller has not shown much of anything yet except the ability to hit a few 3s.

I’ll trust my gut if that’s okay with you, man.

Congrats on the big win today!

Back