• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

We're not gonna fire Steve this year.

If we find ourselves in the same situation next season and Pat Kelsey or Ryan Odom are available and interested, it may be time to make a move.

I hate it, but I don't think WFU is going to be a regular tournament team in the current NCAA arms race. And look, I'd love to be wrong. Some of my best memories are cheering on the Deacs in big games in the ACC and NCAA tournament. A gigantic check, a top tier coach, a hugely surprising class where they stay 3-4 years.... all would be amazing, but none of those things exist in the same world we live in today.

Forbes is a good dude and great portal magician. He's brought medium excitement to a program that was truly in the dumps. People came to some games this year. We beat Duke. We flirted with a top 10 tournament seed. Cool. If the next few years don't pan out with tournament appearances, we can loop back to the above, which will still be true.

Time to form the Magnolia league.
Not until we get the right coach but when you find him we will be regulars once again.

You must have missed the previous decade when we lost 20 games every year and were the worst program in the league. Getting that team to the precipice of the NCAAT was an enormous step forward. I know we’re all disappointed in how the season just ended and sick of being on the bubble every year now, but no need to scoff at the fact that Forbes has improved the program substantially since he was hired.
You could have cut and paste this from 2022 and 2023 as well. Yeah it’s better. That happened almost immediately. We haven’t continued to improve.

We're not gonna fire Steve this year.

If we find ourselves in the same situation next season and Pat Kelsey or Ryan Odom are available and interested, it may be time to make a move.
how old is Russel Turner (too lazy to google) Maybe his wife wants to move back closer to Rke.

This team should have had Bobi and Efton all year. That coupled with the personal issues surrounding Johnetta and I give Forbes a pass this season.

It’s not fair to compare what Odom did because Odom didn’t have to built a brand new roster every year because of transfer portal and NIL.

He’s taken 3 transfers and turned them into First Team ACC/ACC POY players.

That being said, if he doesn’t make it next year his seat is definitely hot. He took a team from the dumpster that had historically terrible coaches for a decade and made it exciting again.

nebraska football hasn't been to a bowl game in eight years, but their fans still expect to be national contenders. everyone else laughs at them.

after a decade plus of unwiped ass to go along with the innate challenges we face, i'm personally pretty happy with the the last three seasons in the grand scheme of things. and hopefully that leads to a positive cycle of things getting better for the long-term.

This team should have had Bobi and Efton all year. That coupled with the personal issues surrounding Johnetta and I give Forbes a pass this season.

It’s not fair to compare what Odom did because Odom didn’t have to built a brand new roster every year because of transfer portal and NIL.

He’s taken 3 transfers and turned them into First Team ACC/ACC POY players.

That being said, if he doesn’t make it next year his seat is definitely hot. He took a team from the dumpster that had historically terrible coaches for a decade and made it exciting again.
Those aren't valid excuses. Bobi was gone last spring before the NBA draft. Efton practiced with the team all season and was eligible for months. He played in all of the games that we blew that would have easily gotten us in had we won. Hell, he was a big part of some of our bigger implosions. Forbes had plenty of talent and could not get over the basic first hurdle of making the tournament. He just is not a good coach at this level.

Those aren't valid excuses. Bobi was gone last spring before the NBA draft. Efton practiced with the team all season and was eligible for months. He played in all of the games that we blew that would have easily gotten us in had we won. Hell, he was a big part of some of our bigger implosions. Forbes had plenty of talent and could not get over the basic first hurdle of making the tournament. He just is not a good coach at this level.

They’re certainly mitigating circumstances. And you can’t say that practice time is equivalent to live game action.

Maybe Efton doesn’t struggle with fouls trouble if he has those first games under his belt.

Not rhetorical questions - you believe Forbes seat won’t be “hot” unless he doesn’t make the tournament next season? At that point it will be 5 seasons with no tournament. So is your timeline for a Wake basketball coach 6 seasons?

Not rhetorical questions - you believe Forbes seat won’t be “hot” unless he doesn’t make the tournament next season? At that point it will be 5 seasons with no tournament. So is your timeline for a Wake basketball coach 6 seasons?
I hope his seat is comfortably warm next year. It's probably not a great way to incentivize winning to make the guy's seat too hot.

Now that the dust has somewhat settled and tempers should have somewhat lowered, the sun rose again this morning. The world did not end.

Posting within the first few hours of a season ending loss always leads to impassioned accusations and conflict over where to lay the blame. No one single factor is the exact cause here. Damari's absence certainly hurt the team and caused some chemistry issues. Coach Forbes had quite a bit going on in his personal life this season that had to have some minor effects. Cam's injury may have been another issue. And no, John Currie and Mr Wellman is not the boogeyman to blame for all of this. No single issue, but a myriad of other minor problems may have caused the death of a thousand cuts so to speak.

25-10, 19-14, and 20-13. Those are pretty good averages for the past three years, all things considered.

Let's see what Coach Forbes does in the transfer portal and if Hunter Sallis comes back for one more year. Still a good chance that we have an even better season next year and finally get over this hump.

Things will get better and there's certainly a lot to look forward to next year.

The hell you say...

For those of you who count the first four as a tournament bid, Mississippi State’s coach Chris Jans is likely to have made the tournament his first 2 seasons there when they had not gotten in the 10 years previous.

I have to strenuously argue that new D-1 coaches don’t need multiple seasons of program building/erasing demons just to make the tournament. They just don’t. With the transfer portal a coach can completely rebuild a roster every season. Giving a coach 6 years to simply just make the tournament is charity. Nobody making millions of dollars really deserves that much runway.

With the portal, 3 seasons should be enough time.
Season 1: stop the bleeding and plan strategy going forward
Season 2: show improvement, but may not be there yet
Season 3: tweak season 2’s gaps
Season 4 (if there is one): AD should re-evaluate decision and if need be rip the band-aid off.

Back