• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Study Hall: Clemson 56, Wake Forest 7

TexasDeac10

Alphonso Smith
Reaction score
Some advanced stats in here, and none of it is pretty for us: http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/10/1/4788138/clemson-wake-forest-football-stats-recap

In Wake Forest's last four games versus ranked teams, the Deacs have been outscored 52-0 (at No. 5 Florida State last year), 42-13 (to No. 14 Clemson), 38-0 (at No. 3 Notre Dame), and 56-7 (Saturday at No. 3 Clemson). Average score: 47-5. Ouch.

In the offseason, Jim Grobe and Wake talked a lot about moving back toward the run a bit. But the run was an outright disaster on Saturday, and a potentially solid secondary got lit up repeatedly but big pass plays, especially on passing downs. This game was over quickly.

Average 1st half score: 34.75-3.5
Average 2nd half score: 12.25-1.5

What is your point, I think looking at the rankings would be the only stat worth thinking about?

No statistical analysis is needed to confirm that Clemson trounced/embarased/disgraced WF. In fact, no need to even watch a half of football to confirm that fact.

Why on God's green earth would the rankings be the only stat worth thinking about?

Obviously the stats just show that we were brutalized, ineffective even at the things pundits thought might be our strengths.

The more interesting part to me was that the author, Bill Connolly, has started to take notice of how inept Wake Forest has been. He's one of the better CFB writers around, imo, and usually has good, measured takes on different programs around the nation. Grobe's ACC Championship ring from 7 years ago is just a distant memory.

What is your point, I think looking at the rankings would be the only stat worth thinking about?

the other team significantly pumps the breaks/ pulls starters as well as our inability to score in garbage time. Our starters can't compete with there uninspired backups.

For the hell of it, add NCSU 37-6 and Vandy 55-21.....

Ethan Reeve isn't getting the job done.

I mean, he's stuck in the 80's right? Just bread and butter work for every player?

Times have changed. Physical training is so advanced now.

Don't forget Notre Dame.

We can't even score in garbage time.

The reason we can't score in garbage time is because by the middle of the second quarter (and sometimes earlier) Grobe is more concerned with trying to run clock than he is with scoring.

What is our record against top 5 teams? 3 of the teams mentioned are top 5. Do you really think we are going to do that well against them? 1-34 is our record against top 5 teams in football. Show the scores from all those games for more relevance.

Back