• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Surfing

PirateDeacon

Reaction score
I've only surfed a couple of times and it was definitely pretty difficult but I truly enjoyed the experience. Very calming and serene. To me it was nothing like snowboarding or skating. I'm looking to start surfing on a regular basis in the near future but I wanted to know if anyone here had any tips or info about beaches that offer the best swells.

Are you talking specifically about NC?

I grew up surfing in FL, and my first major purchase of my life was a 7'6" fun board from Sunrise Surf Shop at Jacksonville Beach. All joking aside, some of the best swells come from off shore storms. Sandy is too close, but when storms are farther off in the Atlantic it makes for some pretty nice riding.

anywhere really, I've only surfed in the Wilmington area but I'd like to hear about other places.

What are good price options for a surf board?

The first surfboard that my family bought was at a pawn shop when I was about 9-10 years old. You should find a lot of decent used options in any town where there is a beach and people surf.

North end of Carolina Beach is pretty solid as is Hatteras. I'm from Wilmington so I've been mostly around the WB area myself.

News footage from Wrightsville yesterday looked like guys were having a blast, including a lot of overhead barrels that were very rideable.

no time like the present...

534603_10151226896249153_180204890_n.jpg

The NYSea Crew doing Sandy tow ins this morning in the east end of Long Beach, NY - photo credit: Vinny Leis

Rincon Puerto Rico has a good swell. My roommate from Wake who lives in Carolina Beach and one of his buddies who runs a surf camp in Wilmington are going to open a Surfing Safari business down there this winter.

The real question is where do you live and how far are you willing to drive. In the southeast, Wrightsville Beach and the outer banks are going to be your best bet. Jacksonville is good in Florida and I live in Charleston where it can sometimes be good. In terms of the type of board again it matters on the type of waves. If you are a beginner, I would probably recommend starting with a long board because they are easier to learn on in my opinion and then switching to a short board. As far as pricing, my guess is you will need to spend b/w $500 and $1000 to get something decent depending on the size of the board. FYI I am not a surfer, but have a lot of friends that are here in Charleston.

i've been legit trolling facebook and twitter for more Point Break references with little to no success. In other news, all hurricanes should be named after Point Break characters going forward...

The real question is where do you live and how far are you willing to drive. In the southeast, Wrightsville Beach and the outer banks are going to be your best bet. Jacksonville is good in Florida and I live in Charleston where it can sometimes be good. In terms of the type of board again it matters on the type of waves. If you are a beginner, I would probably recommend starting with a long board because they are easier to learn on in my opinion and then switching to a short board. As far as pricing, my guess is you will need to spend b/w $500 and $1000 to get something decent depending on the size of the board. FYI I am not a surfer, but have a lot of friends that are here in Charleston.

Interesting, I never thought of Charleston as an area to surf. I know about the Wilmington area pretty well, we go every summer.

Yeah boards are expensive, I was looking at ebay and there were some more reasonable prices but I don't want to get a board that is shit. I'll probably make a trip to the Surf City Shop in WB and talk with one of my buddies that works there.

I think a trip to Costa Rica is definitely going to have to happen soon.

^craigslist and pawn shops. You can get a used fun board or something similar in a college town like Wilmington for pretty cheap this time of year.

Interesting, I never thought of Charleston as an area to surf. I know about the Wilmington area pretty well, we go every summer.

Yeah boards are expensive, I was looking at ebay and there were some more reasonable prices but I don't want to get a board that is shit. I'll probably make a trip to the Surf City Shop in WB and talk with one of my buddies that works there.

I think a trip to Costa Rica is definitely going to have to happen soon.

From what I hear Wilmington is better than Charleston, but there are waves most of the year. Hurricane season is usually the best time of the year and here are some picks from the past week or so http://follysurf.blogspot.com/.

Back