• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Surround sound for dummies

The bar can act as a standalone, or it can be coupled with the sub. You dont need installation for either. Just plug and play for about a grand. Soundbar is $699 I think on its own.

Does this sonos thing have Bluetooth so u can play iPhone w/o docking?

anyone have any familiarity with wireless speakers?

Rather than start a new thread, I'll try here first.

I'm looking at some new front speakers. My current fronts are okay but it's time I upgrade them (again). Does anyone have good experience with some?

The fronts do not need to cover for the lows of the sub or the dialogue/highs of the center as both of them are good on their own. Would really like to keep it below $1000 for the pair.

For a long time I've run a surround setup. I use my regular stereo speakers I've had for years (Cerwin Vegas, which are naturally bass heavy and thus negated my need for a subwoofer for a long time until I decided to get one anyway). I have a regular cheapo Sony center speaker and subwoofer. Bought some in-ceiling Klipsches from Best Buy about 10 years ago and installed them, running the wire from the attic down behind the wall. I've gone through a few receivers, but my last TV upgrade required a receiver upgrade as well to something more modern with HDMI plugs. I just got a relatively inexpensive Yamaha for that. It's a 5:1 setup, which is plenty for 99% of rooms. Unless you are running a home theater system, I don't see a need for anything else. Maybe a back center speaker would be nice, but not necessary. It sounds great as is.

With that setup, I recently upgraded to an Oppo bluray, which is expensive (even their cheapest model), but has the benefit of being able to play pretty much anything. It caused me to go out and buy a bunch of SACDs and other bluray audios with 5:1 sound. Awesomeness.

Compromise between a full system and soundbar is the Bose CineMate II 2.1 system. A friend's got this, and it sounds surprisingly good for both video and music. I think it's around $500.

(Full disclosure: I'm running my TV through an 80s model Denon receiver and B&W speakers.)

I echo Racers comment on a stereo in a box. Onkyo is a good startup brand. You need to learn what you like and what you don't before spending a bunch of money. Spend 300-400 dollars this time on a cheaper set and learn (so you aren't a 'dummy' next time). Then when you have figured out what you like, move that system to another room (bedroom or playroom) and buy the real setup that you want. Don't feel like you have to go for it all the first time.

I echo Racers comment on a stereo in a box. Onkyo is a good startup brand. You need to learn what you like and what you don't before spending a bunch of money. Spend 300-400 dollars this time on a cheaper set and learn (so you aren't a 'dummy' next time). Then when you have figured out what you like, move that system to another room (bedroom or playroom) and buy the real setup that you want. Don't feel like you have to go for it all the first time.

I think most people go about a surround system the wrong way by spending 4-500 bucks on a quality receiver like an Onkyo, and cheeping out on speakers. Cheaper receivers now have most of the same technology that the more expensive ones do, but cheap speakers are going to sound bad no matter what. My advice would be to spend 75% of your budget on the speakers, and the majority of that should go for the fronts and center. With good speakers you will probably be satisfied with a 250$ Sony or 350$ Yamaha receiver.

This 229$ Sony 7.2 Receiver got a 5* review from Crutchfield.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH740-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B00BHC7ZTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405541150&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+receiver

Also, buying used speakers is a great way of saving money. It's fairly easy to tell if used speakers are in good condition, and you don't need to break them in. Just do research on the brand and product line of the speakers before to see if they are the quality level you're looking for, and make sure that your receiver can handle the ohms.

Last edited:
I think most people go about a surround system the wrong way by spending 4-500 bucks on a quality receiver like an Onkyo, and cheeping out on speakers. Cheaper receivers now have most of the same technology that the more expensive ones do, but cheap speakers are going to sound bad no matter what. My advice would be to spend 75% of your budget on the speakers, and the majority of that should go for the fronts and center. With good speakers you will probably be satisfied with a 250$ Sony or 350$ Yamaha receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH74...&qid=1405541150&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+receiver
Agree but you don't want to go too cheap on the receiver. While a top of the line one is overkill for almost everyone, having a nicer one does matter if you have the speakers to compliment it.

I would go even further and say it's better to have a temporary 2.1 stereo setup with nice speakers than a 5.1 surround setup with okay speakers. Get at least a good receiver and two very good/great speakers (bookshelf if money is limited - move them to the sides when you get nice fronts). Then get a powered sub and a good center.

Last edited:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH740-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B00BHC7ZTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405541150&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+receiver

Also, buying used speakers is a great way of saving money. It's fairly easy to tell if used speakers are in good condition, and you don't need to break them in. Just do research on the brand and product line of the speakers before to see if they are the quality level you're looking for, and make sure that your receiver can handle the ohms.

Yeah, I got a Yamaha and it does the job just fine.

Agree but you don't want to go too cheap on the receiver. While a top of the line one is overkill for almost everyone, having a nicer one does matter if you have the speakers to compliment it.

I would go even further and say it's better to have a temporary 2.1 stereo setup with nice speakers than a 5.1 surround setup with okay speakers. Get at least a good receiver and two very good/great speakers (bookshelf if money is limited - move them to the sides when you get nice fronts). Then get a powered sub and a good center.

I don't think there really is a "too cheap" option for receivers, the cheapest-lowest quality ones are the 200-225$ Sony receivers like the one I linked to, and they are great quality. I agree with you on the 2.0 option, though I'd start with 3 or 4-way floor speakers and a center. The floor speakers provide plenty of base, and can be moved away from the television. For someone that listens to music and wants surround sound, floor speakers are nearly as important an investment as the television is.

I am about to pull the trigger on the Sonos Playbar with a couple Play 1's, but no sub. Anyone have the Sonos setup?

Back