• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

What I want to know is why Carolina doesn't have a sham Asian & Asian-American Studies Department? Don't Asian students deserve their own fake classes?

They do. It's called any liberal arts class.

Bloomberg article: Proof That NCAA Doesn’t Really Want to Punish UNC Basketball for Fake Classes

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-05/proof-that-ncaa-doesn-t-really-want-to-punish-unc-basketball-for-fake-classes
This is the part that really shows their true intent. You sort of know the "impermissible benefits" stuff is how they're going to duck it but seeing it written out like this smacks you in the face.

The NCAA bizarrely sees academic fraud as a ‘benefit’

The college sports regulator has long been obsessed with policing athletes’ freebies—steak dinners, automobiles, the occasional cash-stuffed envelope—while overlooking egregious academic fraud. In its UNC allegations, the NCAA describes placement in fake paper classes and other forms of cheating as “impermissible benefits to student-athletes that were not generally available to the student body.”

Think about that for a moment: The NCAA is describing access to phony courses as a “benefit.” By intellectually crippling their star athletes, UNC did these young men (and women) a favor? In fact, it’s exactly the opposite. Academic fraud was a hidden penalty—granted, one that many athletes voluntarily subjected themselves to—not some kind of prize.

UNC has been placed on probation by SACS.

http://abc11.com/777947/

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill received a "very serious" punishment Thursday in the wake of the damaging Wainstein report on academic fraud.

The agency that provides accreditation to institutes of higher learning, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, announced its decision to place UNC on probation for 12 months.

SACS cited the university for 7 out of 18 compliance violations including integrity, comprehensive standards, control of athletics, program content, academic support system, and academic freedom.

"The board intended to send a serious message with the 12-month probation," SACS President Dr. Belle S. Wheelan said. "The issue that academic integrity is at the heart of everything our institutions do ... they need to take every step possible to ensure the academic integrity of their programs and degrees."

UNC has a year to respond to the agency and explain exactly how it plans on addressing the violations.

Earlier this year, SACS sent a warning letter to the Tar Heels after officials there got a look at the now infamous Wainstein Report.

The report, commissioned by UNC, detailed so-called "paper classes" for athletes going back two decades.

Click here to read the full Wainstein Report (.PDF)

The classes required little or no work for passing grades.

SACS first put the university on notice back in 2011 when the scandal erupted, but said last fall the agency now considered the findings of Kenneth Wainstein as a new issue.

The agency claimed UNC showed a lack of "institutional integrity", wasn't diligent in providing information, and that two university employees withheld information.

In a 224-page response, UNC officials asked the agency to find them in compliance, noting numerous changes that have been made in the wake of the scandal.

Click here to read UNC's full response to the SACS accreditation warning.

Possible punishment from the SACS board included the option of stripping UNC of its accreditation.

"SACS places its member institutions on probation only rarely. One can only assume that the decision in this case reflected SACS's frustration with the University's pattern of less-than-forthright testimony about its past failures," Mary Willingham's research assistant and UNC history professor Jay Smith said in a statement following the announcement. "Let's all hope that UNC finally learns a hard lesson from this embarrassing punishment."

Willingham - the former academic adviser who publicly criticized the reading levels of student athletes, and self-proclaimed whistle blower - filed a lawsuit against UNC claiming she was retaliated against for speaking out. She and Smith have co-written a book called "Cheated: The UNC Scandal, the Education of Athletes, and the Future of Big-Time College Sports."

Whoa, holy shit. The question is, how many spots will they drop in the U.S. News rankings because of all of this (not that that really matters)?

I know it says it is rare for SACS to use probation but how big of a deal is the probation designation?

The financial aid accusations could be really bad for UNC. I'm surprised the Pell Grant fraud hasn't received more attention. I think that is about to change.

The financial aid accusations could be really bad for UNC. I'm surprised the Pell Grant fraud hasn't received more attention. I think that is about to change.

If US Justice department can find connection to US in the FIFA bribery, how much easier should it be for them to find that UNC didn't follow all the rules on Pell grants?

Yeah but is there anything more to the punishment than being told not to do it again and being on probation for 12 months? Like will they suffer in the rankings? Are they not able to use all external academic resources (conferences, etc) while on probation? Basically are there any hidden drawbacks to the probation punishment?

Any athletic repercussions? Will this have any impact on what the NCAA decides to do?

That is all I care about.

LOL. In January, UNC sent a 224 page report to SACS to show all of their reforms and asked to be cleared. SACS comes back and says, what you've done isn't enough, we'll put you on 12 months probation during which time you better get your shit together.

By the way, I hate UNC-ch as much as anyone but this is not good for the state of North Carolina and the University of North Carolina system as a whole. I know that a lot of you don't really care about either but this can be nothing but bad for the flagship university to be in danger of losing its accreditation.

By the way, I hate UNC-ch as much as anyone but this is not good for the state of North Carolina and the University of North Carolina system as a whole. I know that a lot of you don't really care about either but this can be nothing but bad for the flagship university to be in danger of losing its accreditation.

Burn it down. With any hope, the academics over there will grow some balls and actually speak up now.

Back