• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

I just don't understand how the University isn't furious at the athletic department. This is all on them.

LOL. According to UNC fans (see JHMD above), this is an academic issue and has nothing to do with athletics. It's not the fault of the athletic department that their "student"-athletes were pushed by athletic staff into classes created solely for the purpose of keeping them eligible. That's all on the professors who created the classes, obviously. They point to non-athletes in the same classes as "proof" of that.

I'd love to see the break-down of those non-athletes in the fake classes who were walk-on's, previous athletes, close friends/hookups of athletes, etc.

Athletics obviously runs the show at UNC. Anyone who has spoken up over there has been gotten rid of, paid off, silenced, harassed, etc. Hell, look what they did to McCants, and he's not an academic. Even the tenured professors are likely scared to speak up due to the potential issues from SACS...tenure doesn't mean shit if the school you're tenured at is in danger of losing accreditation should you reveal the true depths of the bullshit.

Last edited:
LOL. According to UNC fans (see JHMD above), this is an academic issue and has nothing to do with athletics. It's not the fault of the athletic department that their "student"-athletes were pushed by athletic staff into classes created solely for the purpose of keeping them eligible. That's all on the professors who created the classes, obviously. They point to non-athletes in the same classes as "proof" of that.

I'd love to see the break-down of those non-athletes in the fake classes who were walk-on's, previous athletes, close friends/hookups of athletes, etc.

Instead of taking down banners and revoking wins, SACS should show up at their jobs and take down their diplomas and revoke all credits earned at UNC over the last 20 or so years. You know, since it's an academic problem.

Jeezus Lord Mary and Joseph...I always knew UNC fans were highly ranked in the stupid fan category, but this SACS news has really brought the idiots out of hiding. My twitter and Facebook feeds are full of celebratory posts because UNC only got one year probation...lots of "time to learn and move on" and "this should only help us land Giles" "see, no banners coming down".

WTF? Do these morons even read? They don't understand this has nothing to do with the NCAA or athletics.

I'm wondering if they even realize UNC is a school.

Unbelievable. . .

From what I understand, there has been a huge uproar from the Academics at UNC who are furious that the administration allowed their reputations to be damaged for the sake of winning basketball games. But you're not hearing it in the media because snitches get stitches.

No question there are. But who wants see a pissed off Anthropology professor when they can see Roy shrug it off one more time.

I have a very good friend who is a professor in the School of Public Health...and it is 100% accurate to say that most faculty and staff are highly pissed. Your casual Walmart fan won't believe it, but there are more UNC employees and students who could care less about athletics than there are those who care, so to have a few create such a network of fraud and tarnish reputations and professional credibility is infuriating to many.

Those who speak out have this weird habit of becoming jobless, so you won't hear from those who side with SACS and want the university to clean things up.

I have been reading the Wainstein report for shits and giggles this morning and came across this little anecdote. I was so struck by it that I thought I'd share. In 2002, the Head of the Athletic Support Department (Mercer) raised an alarm with the Faculty Athletics Committee (FAC) about athletes clustering in certain majors. The information that he presented to the FAC was incomplete and failed to identify that there were 15 athletes in AFAM enrolled in "paper classes" at the time he raised the alarm. Nothing came out of that meeting, quite possibly because the FAC was not presented with all of the relevant data

Fast forward to 2006, that year Auburn was the focal point of a story by the NY Times for an academic scandal that involved a Sociology Professor assigning hundreds of independent study assignments to athletes. Mercer went to a Senior Assoc AD (Blanchard) to raise another alarm. Blanchard and Dick Baddour decided to take it to the FAC. The three men from the AD (Baddour, Blanchard and Mercer) each alleged that they told the FAC that there was an AFAM Professor that was using lecture classes as independent study classes. All three men alleged that the FAC told them that a Professor should be given latitude regarding how to instruct his students. Mercer was tasked to provide some additional data regarding these AFAM classes. The 8 Profs on the FAC tell a different story. They claim that they were never told that lecture classes were being taught as independent study classes and that if they were, they would have demanded to know more about what was happening. there is a clear disparity in the two stories about what exactly the FAC was apprised of.

Wainstein and his group could not make a clear conclusion regarding which group was telling the truth, but they noted that the preponderance of the evidence supported the FAC's version of events. Wainstein noted that Mercer had long known about the irregularity of the classes (going back to at least 2002 when the issue was first raised) and that the timing of raising the alarm (after the NYT expose) was very suspect. They also noted that Mercer never gave the FAC the additional information they requested. The report noted, "Mercer conceded in our interview that he never acted on that tasking and completely let it drop. That is a telling fact, and it lends support to the suspicion that the Athletics and ASPSA personnel were more interested in creating a record of advising the FAC about these classes than in following up and addressing the issue."

That's remarkable to me. One might conclude from this anecdote that the Athletic Director may (I am not saying he was) have been part of a conspiracy to give the department cover in the event the true extent of the irregularity of the class was discovered. I don't know if anyone else is shocked by that as I am. To me, that's game over for the Heels. Taken in the worst light possible, there is evidence that the AD knew and, quite possibly, deliberately misstated the true nature of what was happening in the AFAM Dept from the members of the Faculty for self-interested reasons. Taken in the best light, it shows a callous disregard for getting at the truth and rather demonstrated a half-hearted attempt to raise the alarm for the sole purpose of giving the department cover.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about another angle on this. We are told that Roy had no idea that this prevalent scam was going on right under his nose. However, he had a son that was on the basketball team (walk-on) right when this scam was starting go gather steam (late 90s) and a daughter on the dance team when it was really taking off (early 2000s). Is there any chance they didn't know about it? Highly doubtful. Is there any chance they didn't tell their dad about it? Highly doubtful. I think Roy not only knew about this...he knew about it before he took the job.

Is there any evidence his son or daughter were in these classes?

Not that I know of. I think his son is in finance in Charlotte (don't know what his daughter does) and I think that was his major.

I have a very good friend who is a professor in the School of Public Health...and it is 100% accurate to say that most faculty and staff are highly pissed. Your casual Walmart fan won't believe it, but there are more UNC employees and students who could care less about athletics than there are those who care, so to have a few create such a network of fraud and tarnish reputations and professional credibility is infuriating to many.

Those who speak out have this weird habit of becoming jobless, so you won't hear from those who side with SACS and want the university to clean things up.

Most of the current athletic department is pretty pissed too.

But I find it hard to believe that he didn't know anything about it.

Wayne Walden clearly knew that the classes were irregular and involved little or no professorial interaction. Walden "does not recall" whether he told Williams or not. But curiously, Williams eventually insisted that all of his players enroll in lecture classes. You do the math.

Last edited:
Found this little gem in the witness summaries:

Samuel R. Williamson
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (former) Williamson served as Chapel Hill’s Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs from 1984-1988; previously, he also served as Dean of the College. Williamson stated that during his time at Chapel Hill, the administration closely monitored academic issues among student-athletes. For example, toward the beginning of his tenure, Williamson recalled that a professor had been permitting student-athletes to rapidly enroll in and complete correspondence courses during summer school, and Williamson had had to intervene. Williamson said that generally, when he interacted with any university Athletics Department, he felt that “every time we closed the barn door, the Athletics Department built a new barn.” (emphasis supplied by me).

Does this help shed any light on what Roy or Roy did not "know" about the Independent study courses:

Richard A. Baddour
Director of Athletics (former)
Baddour was Athletics Director from 1997 to 2011 and Assistant Athletics Director from 1985 to 1997. Baddour became aware of the irregular classes when Blanchard and Mercer approached him about AFAM professors assigning independent work before the issue was taken to the FAC in 2006. Baddour did not remember the specifics of the FAC discussion in 2006. Although Baddour knew that a large number of student-athletes were enrolled in these classes, he understood them to be open to non-athletes and to involve regular dialogue between the professor and the student. Baddour remembered hearing from Blanchard and Mercer about Owen’s oversight of AFAM, but he thought she was concerned about easy grading – not about independent courses. Baddour recalled hearing from Roy Williams about McCants’ four independent studies courses in Spring 2005, but does not recall when he and Williams had this conversation. He thinks it was sometime after the Spring 2005 semester. Baddour recalled that Williams asked Baddour whether the number of independent studies McCants had taken troubled him, and Baddour replied that it did trouble him and that he wondered how the college had allowed it to happen.

How about this one:

Wayne Walden
Associate Director Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes (former)

Walden was the Associate Director of ASPSA and academic counselor for multiple sports, including men’s basketball from 2003 to 2009. Initially, Walden worked in collaboration with academic counselor Burgess McSwain, and he found that a large number of basketball student athletes were majoring in AFAM and taking paper classes. Walden was aware of the paper classes and thought they had been approved by the University because they were open to all students. Walden said that he tried to limit the number of enrollments in the paper classes for the students Williams recruited. He explained that he wanted to avoid developing a culture that depended on these classes, preferring the structure of a regular lecture course. Walden did not know Nyang’oro, but he would work with Crowder to enroll his students in AFAM and AFRI classes. He knew that students enrolled in paper classes had no contact with faculty, and he said that he thought Crowder was probably doing some of the grading, though he never knew for sure. Walden did not feel that there was anything wrong with these courses,however, because they were open to and taken by regular students in addition to student-athletes

Jennifer Townsend
Associate Director Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes
Townsend has been an Associate Director of ASPSA since 2009, when she replaced Walden. She currently serves as the academic counselor for men’s basketball and women’s swimming, and supervises four other staff members. Townsend has never met Crowder, who retired prior to her arrival, and only briefly met Nyang’oro. Townsend learned about paper classes from Mercer when she first came to Chapel Hill, but she did not have much direct involvement in part because Crowder was no longer in the AFAM Department. Townsend also explained that men’s basketball assistant coach Joe Holladay wanted the basketball athletes to go to class and not take independent study courses.

Yeah. . .it was Holladay. Really. . .

Last edited:
Back