• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2016 Panthers Thread: Keep Pounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when we all hated Ron

Remember when people hated Shula and Funchess. That was the WORST!

To be fair though, I was more skeptical of the Kuechly pick than I was the Cam pick. It's crazy to think that if, hypothetically, Aaron Curry and Kuechly had gone in the same draft everyone here,including myself, and probably most people anywhere, would have begged for Curry. Whoops.

Last edited:
Reading back through this thread and so many people were so wrong about so many things. Not surprising though since nobody really anticipated we'd be 17-1 and going to the Super Bowl.

To be fair though, I was more skeptical of the Kuechly pick than I was the Cam pick. It's crazy to think that if, hypothetically, Aaron Curry and Kuechly had gone in the same draft everyone here,including myself, and probably most people anywhere, would have begged for Curry. Whoops.

There was reason to be skeptical of Kuechly because we had Beason. We kinda had to pick Cam because of Clausen. There were obviously some great talents at the top of that draft, but not enough to pass up a QB who while not a sure thing had a high ceiling. I remember the trade down options weren't that great either. I don't think the Bengals were offering up the picks than ended up being AJ Green and Dalton.

I don't think anyone "hated" Fonions

Many were/are skeptical

People hated trading up to get Funchess. You can still go both ways there considering we could have stayed in the same spot and gotten Tyler Lockett who was the next WR taken. But who knew Cam would go from targeting giants like KB to fitting the ball through needles to Ginn and Corey.

People hated trading up to get Funchess. You can still go both ways there considering we could have stayed in the same spot and gotten Tyler Lockett who was the next WR taken. But who knew Cam would go from targeting giants like KB to fitting the ball through needles to Ginn and Corey.

This transition was pretty damn cool to see though.

Cam might have have the whole, "Aim Small, Miss Small" thing going through his head now.

Reading back through this thread and so many people were so wrong about so many things. Not surprising though since nobody really anticipated we'd be 17-1 and going to the Super Bowl.

Meh, the one of us who got them at 40:1 odds to win the Super Bowl before the season did. You all were too busy bitching about Oher to see the big picture of Gettlemagic.

There's some good stuff in there. This one is my favorite. I definitely have some Cam hater posts myself so I'm not ragging on siff.

WTF is Cam Newton talking about? I'm listening to parts of his Charlotte presser today; he said that success won't be "like instant grits." It will be "more like collard greens."

What. The. Fark.

He's using a Southern food analogy. Seems pretty clear to me.

What wasn't clear to Ph is that it's not the analogy, but rather the silly use of foods to describe how long it might take him to succeed in the NFL. The guy is about to get a $100MM contract. Less food discussion, more specifics on what you need to do to succeed.

Dem collard greens taste real good.

Every single poster hated on Cam before the Panthers drafted him as far as I can tell. I was really worried about that Gruden special.... oops!

I was an early Cam adapter. My main argument though was "he has to be better than pickles" so I wasn't exactly singing his praises to the high heavens.

There's some good stuff in there. This one is my favorite. I definitely have some Cam hater posts myself so I'm not ragging on siff.

Dem collard greens taste real good.

Indeed.

Deserved. Oddly enough, I've found myself defending Cam most of the past few weeks. Just because I thought the food references were dumb doesn't mean I hate Cam. :thumbsup: Far from it.

This is me. I saw Funchess as a Benjamin clone when we really needed a burner to take the top off the defense (ie, eventual Ginn replacement). Lockett is also a great returner, which was another team need. I am not convinced the trade was even necessary to get Funchess. I will gladly be wrong on Funchess, but Lockett >Funchess so far in my book.

I like Cam for the hard work he's put in to improve himself; but until that was displayed that his rookie year, he was a guy who stole laptops and was in three different colleges in three years. He's done a lot to show he is not a million dollar body with a ten cent head. I appreciate the work he's put in to improve his accuracy this season. That's no longer a knock on him.

...and the collard greens analogy is better when you go 15-1, amirite?

Quite tasty. He actually resurrected the quote last week!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back