• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The "Bridge" Theory

At Wake you need a mix of NBA talent and 4 year supporting casts. Our #1 team with Dino was an anomaly because two 50-ish ranked recruits both blew up into top 20 picks after their soph years, that doesn't happen often. Getting two years out of Aminu was a coup and I'm sure everyone on the staff felt the same way. More likely our future good teams will look like the 2005 #1 team, with one superstar and a bunch of supporting 4 year players. Or the JHo team that won the ACC... one superstar who just blew up later.

We need at least one bonafide star to ever be a top 4 ACC team. Devin has been our best freshman this year and I still think he is a 4 year supporting player on a top 4 team. CJ and Travis could have been good supporting players, they shouldn't be best players on any team. We need at least one early entrant candidate or one ACC POY candidate to be good consistently. We have to start bringing in at least 1 guy who has that potential every 2-3 years and the rest can be the type of guys we brought in in 2012.

ETA: We didn't come close to bringing that guy in 2011, 2012, or 2013. Shelton can maybe be that kind of guy and we still have another season to go before he gets here.

Last edited:
Try adding CJ, Travis, and Devin to any of our best teams in the post-Staak era. Where do they fit?

I think CJ would have started with Rutland on the 1997 team, maybe on the 1996 team. He'd have come off the bench for the 2003-05 teams. I'd have paired him with Teague as the starting backcourt for the '09 team and put LD on the bench. I don't think Travis or Devin would have started on any of those teams.

I know. But people thought it might happen. I at least explained why: money and perception regarding next hire.

I still think you'r a putz Racer. Even though we basically agree on stuff currently.

What I'm surprised at is that if we had won like 15 or 16 games I think Bzd would definitely be coming back. I thought it would take more success in year 3. Not even 100% sure he gets canned this year. I fear a VTech win and a win in the ACC tourney plus a competitive quarterfinal loss. That's what I fear.

jaybone, how do you know your "why" was correct?

Ph, that is fairly good assesment, however I think Devin could easily fill the Scooter Banks or Sean Allen rolls on those teams.

jaybone, how do you know your "why" was correct?

I guess I don't, but we do still have the same coach. For me, perception and money trump all other reasons. That and Bzd and Battle had put together an important class. Wellman may think Bzd is a helluva coach and a helluva guy, but if anyone sitting on our budget and responsible for our athletic programs put the cards out on a table, you'd keep circling back around to who you could hire two years after firing a 20win coach and after only giving the replacement two years and a bad hand (lost talent before Bzd stepped on campus). That and going to your Trustees and say I want to have three different head basketball coaches on payroll at the same time. That review process would be pretty quick.

IMO, the Carson departure specifically, but also TC and Fields opened up Wellman to do whatever he wants this year. The perception will be that he gave Bzd enough time.

Try adding CJ, Travis, and Devin to any of our best teams in the post-Staak era. Where do they fit?

I think CJ would have started with Rutland on the 1997 team, maybe on the 1996 team. He'd have come off the bench for the 2003-05 teams. I'd have paired him with Teague as the starting backcourt for the '09 team and put LD on the bench. I don't think Travis or Devin would have started on any of those teams.

1996 - Sean Allen, Braswell and Goolsby - these guys would have lost time
1997 - Same cast but now add Peral to the list based on his performance

I'd think Devin right now would start over Allen.

Back