• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Deacon Sportscenter commercial IS our coaching search

I one day hope to become a billionaire so that I buy ESPN and raze the place to the ground...just for that commercial. I'll bet Stuart Scott had something to do with it. effing Carolina.

Actually, according to the latest edition of the Wake magazine in a piece about where Banshees are now, a Wake grad created it and worked the Deacon in as a reference to his alma mater. Link:

Andy Ferguson (’98)
New York, N.Y. | Film and television writer

In a 2007 “This is SportsCenter” commercial titled “Secrets,” writer and Banshee alum Andy Ferguson stayed true to his school by featuring a curious Demon Deacon vexed by a “mitt-over-mouth” conversation between ESPN anchors and New York Mets third-baseman David Wright. It was one of several projects in which Ferguson, who worked for ESPN and Nike at a major New York ad agency before becoming a freelance TV and film writer, worked in a reference to his alma mater. Andy saw the show freshman year and was stunned at how good it was; he auditioned and made the troupe his sophomore year. “The Banshees experience was one of the highlights of my Wake Forest career,” he says. “It was great affirmation and a confidence boost to get into the troupe and for other people to identify you as funny.” While their goal was to make fun of Wake Forest, he notes, the group shared an appreciation for a University that gave them the freedom to be creative, provocative and just plain silly. “For people who like to laugh there’s nothing like being around people who make you laugh. The thing I remember most was the camaraderie.”

Last edited:
Bump because it makes me laugh.

Actually, according to the latest edition of the Wake magazine in a piece about where Banshees are now, a Wake grad created it and worked the Deacon in as a reference to his alma mater. Link:

Andy Ferguson (’98)
New York, N.Y. | Film and television writer

In a 2007 “This is SportsCenter” commercial titled “Secrets,” writer and Banshee alum Andy Ferguson stayed true to his school by featuring a curious Demon Deacon vexed by a “mitt-over-mouth” conversation between ESPN anchors and New York Mets third-baseman David Wright. It was one of several projects in which Ferguson, who worked for ESPN and Nike at a major New York ad agency before becoming a freelance TV and film writer, worked in a reference to his alma mater. Andy saw the show freshman year and was stunned at how good it was; he auditioned and made the troupe his sophomore year. “The Banshees experience was one of the highlights of my Wake Forest career,” he says. “It was great affirmation and a confidence boost to get into the troupe and for other people to identify you as funny.” While their goal was to make fun of Wake Forest, he notes, the group shared an appreciation for a University that gave them the freedom to be creative, provocative and just plain silly. “For people who like to laugh there’s nothing like being around people who make you laugh. The thing I remember most was the camaraderie.”
Andy is highlarious. His Howler pictures were epic.

Remember back in 96 when we had a great WFU ESPN commercial featuring Timmy D? Yeah, I barely remember that either. Hard to believe it's been nearly 20 years since then.

The deacon in the ESPN commercial is great.

Yeah, the Goulet one was definitely great. Also had the principal from Billy Madison as the ref.

Not a Deacon commercial but funny and...."dat ass." Damn.

Back