• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The foundation blocks are being laid

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
Manning is building something @ MSD and the last two games have shown it. None of us know the "Xs and Os" as much as we think but it is easy to see when a team is playing hard and Manning's Deacs do. To me that is major factor in coaching. I love what I see and I can't wait to see what the future holds.

I can't agree more! He's definitely proven it on the court and on the recruiting trail. You would be stupid not to see it. It's time to fill the Joel up like the days of CP3! There is no excuse why the lower bowl is not all black and gold. I'm kinda disappointed in the lack of support so far. Hope to see the Joel packed soon. Shame on you if you have given up your seats or just not going. We got us something special in DM.

Obviously against top 5 teams, but the last two games have been damn loud.

Do you build foundations out of blocks? I'm genuinely curious. I don't know anything about construction.

I'm not sure if we have something special, but it's an obvious improvement over Buzz, who never gave us anything to be optimistic about. It is nice to see these kids play hard, and each seems to have accepted and settled into what their role is supposed to be (at least for the last couple of games). They are actually being coached-- and successfully, even if that isn't going to add up to a lot of wins this year. I still expect a few more games where we look like ass simply because we have marginal talent, but I think we will pull a few rabbits out of the hat before the year is over. We are starting to remind me of some of those Rick Barnes Clemson teams that were offensively challenged but gave other teams fits. I think our ceiling is a little higher, obviously, but it's a start. If you can play defense, you can play with anybody. I think what I like the most so far is that the halfassed recruiting class that DM threw together that caused us so much panic is going to give us some very solid 4 year players.

Didn't see the game but comparing talent seems like DM seriously outcoached K. That bodes well.

If we can play tough hard-nosed disruptive defense and hold our own on the boards night in and night out we will win games. Right now, the kids need to understand that the tough defense needs to be turned up a couple of notches in the last few minutes. At the moment we are not doing that. But when we start to intensify an already disruptive and challenging defense during the last 5-6 minutes of games, we will be over the hump, and the wins will come.

Don't know how many caught CMM's post game comments, but you could hear coaching taking root. Obviously frustrated about officiating, CMM focused on second chance points, turnovers, shot selection, and other "things we can control". Said we should have won both games, but made too many mistakes.

After seeing the 2nd halves of these last 2 games, I have similarly been impressed. Add to that he's doing well on the recruiting trail. He got some awfully serviceable freshmen this year, some at the last minute, he has a real nice class next year and could have a good or great 1 the following year. I think we have ourselves a real coach.

I'm not sure if we have something special, but it's an obvious improvement over Buzz, who never gave us anything to be optimistic about. It is nice to see these kids play hard, and each seems to have accepted and settled into what their role is supposed to be (at least for the last couple of games). They are actually being coached-- and successfully, even if that isn't going to add up to a lot of wins this year. I still expect a few more games where we look like ass simply because we have marginal talent, but I think we will pull a few rabbits out of the hat before the year is over. We are starting to remind me of some of those Rick Barnes Clemson teams that were offensively challenged but gave other teams fits. I think our ceiling is a little higher, obviously, but it's a start. If you can play defense, you can play with anybody. I think what I like the most so far is that the halfassed recruiting class that DM threw together that caused us so much panic is going to give us some very solid 4 year players.

I think this is a lot like Barnes' early Clemson teams except the Deacs have slightly more offense. Those Tiger teams had nothing offensively.

not only does devin look like he might be turning a corner but i might be turning a corner as well. my interest in watching the games faded to the point of forgetting we had games, not bothering to turn on espn 8 to try and watch, etc. last night for the first time in 4 years i was actually excited to watch a game. i expected a loss and was looking for the "moral victories" but saw much more than that.

Title reminds me of a joke:

Why are bricks red?

You'd be red too if you were laid in public....

Why would someone thing they were seeing a foundation being laid now? According to all-knowing RW, Bzz had already spent 4 years building the solid foundation needed. Clearly anything coming from DM at this point would be the structural unit since the foundation had been solidly laid during '10-'14.

Back