• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The "lol" Divide

Manifest Destiny

Broderick Hicks
Reaction score
I find it interesting how turned off I am by the written expression "lol". I can't stand it. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because no one actually says "lol" and that in real life if you "lol"ed you would just be making laughing sounds. I think it's because I like to read in a conversational manner and that sticks out because it wouldn't be in a conversation. Many other online expressions apply (smh, rofl, etc) but this is the most used.

I must admit that people who use "lol" instantly seem corny, silly, or dumb. I know it's not fair. Or accurate. Anyone else feel this way?

i only use lol when i actually find something funny; rarely do i laugh out loud. if i do, i usually say "i actually laughed out loud at that one" or whatever.

"haha" is a polite acknowledgement of my turn in conversation or a reponse to a lame humor attempt

drowning.jpg

my mother thought it stood for lots of love for a long while. We realized she didn't quite understand the meaning after she offered condolences to a friend on facebook on the one year anniversary of his father's death...and followed it with LOL

I do know people who say "lol" in real life. They are women. It's not great.

my mother thought it stood for lots of love for a long while. We realized she didn't quite understand the meaning after she offered condolences to a friend on facebook on the one year anniversary of his father's death...and followed it with LOL

A vendor gave me a coffee mug filled with candy. It was a black mug with LOL engraved. I brought it home so my kids could eat the candy. My wife (a Wake grad and sister to a reasonably humerous/clever poster) asks "Why would this girl vendor give you a mug saying Lots of Love??!!??" You could say I had some fun with that one.

I do the same thing as Deacphan. Sometimes I add the 'z' for affect lullz

I do the same thing as Deacphan. Sometimes I add the 'z' for affect lullz

I get this. Its like saying "totes" when you are ironically saying it to mock people who actually say it.

Another problem I have with "lol" is that it is a broad sweeping expression that gets used in all kinds of ways for which words actually exist to describe those situations.

I get this. Its like saying "totes" when you are ironically saying it to mock people who actually say it.

Another problem I have with "lol" is that it is a broad sweeping expression that gets used in all kinds of ways for which words actually exist to describe those situations.

yes, but some ways are better or more effective than others. Do you honestly receive a text that says "that was funny" (not preceded by an lol or haha) and think "yeah, he's legitimately entertained"

yes, but some ways are better or more effective than others. Do you honestly receive a text that says "that was funny" (not preceded by an lol or haha) and think "yeah, he's legitimately entertained"

i assumed MD was talking about board/text/email/chat usage of lol, not IRL usage

Yeah im definitely talking about board/text stuff. See, for me, haha is totally acceptable but "lol" is not. Maybe the thread title should be the Haha/Lol Divide.

Back