• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

Tigers MLive had this article today about how the Tigers replaced power with speed and how it was going to lead to fewer runs scored, but then spent a lot of time talking about how many runs we left on the bases last year and how few homers we actually hit over the past five years.

To me, it seems like Brad Ausmus is already keyed into maximizing runs far better than Jimmy Smokes ever was. The lineup may not seem superficially tailored to score as much, but I think the combination of smart, speed, and better lineups is gonna lead to a more efficient and effective offense.

Then again, I always feel this way in late March.

did the Tiggers replace power with speed or just get less slow? I think there might be a difference

Nope

Yeah I feel the same way.

It's Cubs pitcher Hiram Bithorn (doesn't exactly sound Puerto Rican either). He debuted in 1942.

That's actually the name of the stadium in PR. I think the Expos played there in 2003.

Pirates sign Starling Marte to an extension, 6 years, $31MM. Buys out one free agent year with options for two more. Pretty nice deal for the Pirates.

Link

Trout is going to get so much god damned money

300 mil over 10 for Miggy. Trout should receive a very similar contract I would think.

300 mil over 10 for Miggy. Trout should receive a very similar contract I would think.

Um. Trout is 23 and making 1 million dollars this year.

Miggy is 30, almost 31 and making 21 million this year.

If it were all merit based maybe but that's not how it works.

Eventually baseball has to learn that you have to pay for projected future performance, not reward players for prior success, right? Miggy is great, possibly one of the all-time greats (depending how many people you include in that circle), but $30M for age 37, 38, 39, and 40 season? Maybe time will prove me wrong, but I'd say "no thanks." Trout, on the other hand, at this point in his career, should absolutely clean up.

True that. I think Trout's will set the bar higher than we'll ever see in terms of length.

I don't think it will get to $35 million/year. Maybe ~32/33 over 12 years. We'll see.

Eventually baseball has to learn that you have to pay for projected future performance, not reward players for prior success, right? Miggy is great, possibly one of the all-time greats (depending how many people you include in that circle), but $30M for age 37, 38, 39, and 40 season? Maybe time will prove me wrong, but I'd say "no thanks." Trout, on the other hand, at this point in his career, should absolutely clean up.

You're trying to inject logic here. But with contracts like A-Rod, Ryan Howard, Miggy, etc., it's a case of both agents pointing to precedent to drive up price/years and teams being too emotionally invested and attached to the guys that took them to World Series or won MVPs or whatever. Some teams are content throwing stupid money at the end of contracts to keep their heroes around in the short term, and I dont see that changing any time soon. Most teams can't afford to do that, or have learned to build around a strong farm, keeping guys on cheap deals til arbitration, and then either going short/cheap through their prime in late 20s or letting them go (Cards with Pujols etc).

I think the theory is that he is worth more than 30 M for ages 31-35. So it all evens out

And the tigers will start the season with Alex Gonzalez at short who they got for lombardozzi who they got for giving up fister so SUCK IT NATS WE WIN

Holy shit, Miggy.

So.... what exactly is the upside of locking him up now? Did the Tigers think he would be more expensive if they waited until the end of the season?

Back