• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2014-15 MLB Offseason/HOT STOVE Thread

Also, I'm pretty tired of teams giving up so much in deals with the Braves. The Padres took on Melvin's contract and gave up prospects? And now crazy person Carlos Quentin is in the NL East?

Also, I'm pretty tired of teams giving up so much in deals with the Braves. The Padres took on Melvin's contract and gave up prospects? And now crazy person Carlos Quentin is in the NL East?
Quentin was DFA'ed. I can understand the Braves offseason upsetting a Phils fan.

I understand what the Braves are doing and like most of the moves they have made. But why in the hell did they sign Nick Markakis? Did they decide to wave the white flag after they signed him?

Who knows. Really the only outlier in what was a fantastic offseason. Took our farm system to bottom 5 to top 5 in a matter of a few months. We accomplished 3 goals: became flexible, improved farm system, and ridded ourselves of Melvin.

Dang, Pads give up their best prospect here and a 2nd round pick? I mean, Kimbrel is good, but they just brought on $79 million over the next 3 years - and where is BJ going to play? Is he Myers insurance? Thats a ton to pay for that.

Crazy.

Dang, Pads give up their best prospect here and a 2nd round pick? I mean, Kimbrel is good, but they just brought on $79 million over the next 3 years - and where is BJ going to play? Is he Myers insurance? Thats a ton to pay for that.

Crazy.

It's insanity.

Who knows. Really the only outlier in what was a fantastic offseason. Took our farm system to bottom 5 to top 5 in a matter of a few months. We accomplished 3 goals: became flexible, improved farm system, and ridded ourselves of Melvin.

Definitely a good offseason, especially because the Braves picked the right time to pull the trigger on a rebuild. Team wasn't going anywhere great, but it had enough desirable players to get a lot of good returns.

It's basically the opposite of what the Astros did from 2008-10, which was hang on for waaaayyyy too long to aging talent. By the time they finally decided to blow it up, there was nothing left of value. (It's the main reason Jeff Luhnow had to tank for 2-3 years: he came into a farm system one-year removed from being the league's worst, AND there wasn't anything at the MLB level.) Which, in a way, is the path the Phillies are taking, they just don't realize it yet. .

Crazy.

I think SD's problem is that no one wants to sign there (except for Shields as a homecoming). Kemp was pissed to get traded there. SD must feel they have to build the team by trades in order to change the perception of the Padres as being a mediocre also ran for the past 25 years.

It's similar to when the Nats gave Werth that crazy deal, because no one would sign in Washington.

Definitely a good offseason, especially because the Braves picked the right time to pull the trigger on a rebuild. Team wasn't going anywhere great, but it had enough desirable players to get a lot of good returns.

It's basically the opposite of what the Astros did from 2008-10, which was hang on for waaaayyyy too long to aging talent. By the time they finally decided to blow it up, there was nothing left of value. (It's the main reason Jeff Luhnow had to tank for 2-3 years: he came into a farm system one-year removed from being the league's worst, AND there wasn't anything at the MLB level.) Which, in a way, is the path the Phillies are taking, they just don't realize it yet. .

They actually just realized it, likely a result of a full offseason trying to trade untradeable players. (So - too late. And possibly just due to Pat Gillick. And I'm not at all sure they know what to do about it.)

Pat Gillick: ‘We’re A Year Or Two Late In Starting Transition’

They actually just realized it, likely a result of a full offseason trying to trade untradeable players. (So - too late. And possibly just due to Pat Gillick. And I'm not at all sure they know what to do about it.)

Pat Gillick: ‘We’re A Year Or Two Late In Starting Transition’

!!!

The similarities really are crazy. I should also note that the Astros didn't kick their rebuild into overdrive until ownership changed.

ETA: although new ownership doesn't seem willing to spend nearly enough money to field a consistent competitor, sadly.

!!!

The similarities really are crazy. I should also note that the Astros didn't kick their rebuild into overdrive until ownership changed.

ETA: although new ownership doesn't seem willing to spend nearly enough money to field a consistent competitor, sadly.

The Phillies may be almost kind of following you on ownership too - their owners isn't going anywhere, but there was a shakeup where some of the owners reportedly pushed the former team president / part owner to step away from decision-making, and one owner is trying to get a majority stake in the team. We don't know much about him other than that he has a ton of money and really wants to win, though.

Back