• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

There is someone I went to high school with posting about letting their 3 week old "cry is out." Isn't that super young for crying it out? I always thought that was like a 4-6 month thing (luckily our kid has always been a good sleeper and only cried for food).

That makes me sad and I'm not even a NEVER LET A KID CRY IT OUT person.

3 weeks old is ridiculous for CIO at sleep time. However during that purple crying time occasionally I'd have to just put Birdie's ass in the middle of the floor cause my consoling wasn't doing shit and I was about to go insane.

There is someone I went to high school with posting about letting their 3 week old "cry is out." Isn't that super young for crying it out? I always thought that was like a 4-6 month thing (luckily our kid has always been a good sleeper and only cried for food).
I'm curious about this. Is the person super into being the perfect parent and has a schedule to get their kid doing x at y time, and thinks they have all the answers?

Or is it someone who kinda fell into parenting, either as an accident or what they were "supposed to do," and just can't handle that shit?

Either way, super dumb.

Yeah, a 3 week old can absolutely die if just left to cry it out and there is something wrong (like fever spike). Someone needs to let that guy know exactly how dumb he is. CIO is a tool to assist with sleep patterns. 3 week olds are just trying to stay warm and eat for fuck sake.

Since I don't have kids there are a lot of things I didn't know were things. Like one of my friend's daughter just turned 2 and is a biter. Like she draws blood through jeans and shit. They're kinda worried about her biting other kids.

Yeah that's too young. Though with both my kids by 4 months I could tell from the sound of the cry if it was legit (go in) or not (wait).

Exactly. Way too young. The child needs some food or is cold for fuck's sake.

3 weeks old is ridiculous for CIO at sleep time. However during that purple crying time occasionally I'd have to just put Birdie's ass in the middle of the floor cause my consoling wasn't doing shit and I was about to go insane.

this is when I found his mother and said "i give up" "help me" i'm a moron" whatever.

Way too young.

I'm dealing with a close friend whose nearly 2 month old baby just underwent his 6th surgery. I'm glad I'm not seeing bojangles friends post because I would be hard pressed not to say something about how horrible it is to cry it out that young. (and I'm not a parent)

My first reaction is pick the baby up and soothe it. In the case of my friend, she wishes that she could pick her son up when he cries.

"that's right, we're taking a wagon ride, yo."

2ldhfed.jpg

My wife's due date is Oct 10, but she was convinced she'd go a few weeks early like she did with #1. It is getting pretty tense in the household.

My wife's due date is Oct 10, but she was convinced she'd go a few weeks early like she did with #1. It is getting pretty tense in the household.

I went later with # 2 than #1 and I am pretty convinced I will actually go past my due date with this baby. Maybe it's because I have never made it to my due date, but I don't understand why that would be tense. Just the uncertainty?

Last edited:
What do/did your little ones sleep in? Our 1+ year old has been sleeping in tshirt/pant pajamas but the temperatures have definitely been dropping in his room at night. I put him down on his back but he always flips to a belly so I feel like a blanket would just get tangled up but a sleep sack might affect his mobility.

What do/did your little ones sleep in? Our 1+ year old has been sleeping in tshirt/pant pajamas but the temperatures have definitely been dropping in his room at night. I put him down on his back but he always flips to a belly so I feel like a blanket would just get tangled up but a sleep sack might affect his mobility.

Nobody sleeps naked in this house!

Seriously though, you can just get long-sleeve pjs or those zip-up full body footy pjs and the squirrel will be nice and toasty.

officially joining this club in March. First baby boy on my side of the family since I was born. My wife's side has never had a boy (she is one of two sisters, and her sister has two daughters). Should be pretty fun.

My wife nursed our 3 till 10 months.
3 week old crying would be held and probably spending the night in bed between us.
My youngest mostly slept with us till 5 years.

Seriously though, you can just get long-sleeve pjs or those zip-up full body footy pjs and the squirrel will be nice and toasty.

It was 67 in his room last night so I thought that might be a little chilly for his feet so maybe the footed pjs are the way to go. I have no concept of what's necessary because I like to sleep under approx 100 blankets.

officially joining this club in March. First baby boy on my side of the family since I was born. My wife's side has never had a boy (she is one of two sisters, and her sister has two daughters). Should be pretty fun.

Congratulations! That boy's going to be king!

My wife nursed our 3 till 10 months.
3 week old crying would be held and probably spending the night in bed between us.
My youngest mostly slept with us till 5 years.

I'm still nursing at 14 months but luckily he's sleeping through the night so I just go in there in the morning. He was never really in to sleeping with us. Kid likes his space!

Back