• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The race for 2016 has started already...

GWB was good with Hispanics though. He spoke fluent Spanish on telemundo/univision, and up until that point had promoted friendly immigration policy.. that he and the rest of the party have pretty much run away from since. Jeb would at least do as well, I agree.

GWB was good with Hispanics though. He spoke fluent Spanish on telemundo/univision, and up until that point had promoted friendly immigration policy.. that he and the rest of the party have pretty much run away from since. Jeb would at least do as well, I agree.

English as a Second Language?

I know him through one of his oldest friends so every time I have been around he is in "boys" mode. Does not seem like the same stiff guy that is on TV.

I can attest to this.

If (and it is a big if) his last name was not Bush he would have run and won this time. He would have done 30 points better than Romney did with Hispanics.

Easy to say. You don't know what dynamics would have been different. That's a simplistic argument.

List the issues.

The issues everybody cares about. Hispanics aren't one issue voters. Have you ever heard a Latino say "if Republicans only moved on immigration, I'd vote for them?"

A few things for you:
http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/10/11/top-issues-in-this-years-presidential-campaign/

1. The deficit and taxes are as important as immigration.

When it comes to immigration, one-third (34%) of Latino registered voters say the issue is “extremely important” to them personally. This is unchanged since 2008 (Lopez and Minushkin, 2008). This year, Latinos rank two other issues—the federal budget deficit (36%) and taxes (33%)—as important as they rank immigration.

2. Jobs/economy, health care, and education are MORE important than immigration.

The same three top issues are identified by both Latino registered voters and all Latinos. For all Latinos, fewer than half say that jobs and the economy (47%), education (47%) and health care (44%) are extremely important to them.

pewhispanic-2012-10-11-NSL-04-02.png

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/11/07/latino-voters-in-the-2012-election/

3. Obama won among Florida Cubans. Cubans!
Obama carried Florida’s Hispanic vote 60% to 39%, an improvement over his 57% to 42% showing in 2008. Also, Hispanics made up 17% of the Florida electorate this year, up from 14% in 2008.

The state’s growing non-Cuban population—especially growth in the Puerto Rican population in central Florida—contributed to the president’s improved showing among Hispanic voters. This year, according to the Florida exit poll, 34% of Hispanic voters were Cuban while 57% were non-Cuban. Among Cuban voters, the vote was split—49% supported Obama while 47% supported Romney. Among the state’s non-Cuban voters, Obama won 66% versus 34% for Romney.

---------------

No Latino group has a more favorable immigration policy than Cubans and the "wet foot, dry foot" policy. A Cuban and a Mexican could cross the border at the same time and the Mexican would be deported and the Cuban would be welcomed and given a path to citizenship. This is a group that has been in the tank for Republicans for a long time. Cubans don't have to worry about immigration at all and they still go for Obama. It's going to grow as the old Cubans who survived the revolution die off and younger more moderate and liberal Cubans take their place.

I'll sum this up with one important thing that Republicans don't seem to realize. Hispanic voters are US citizens. They're already here. While many do care about the plight of Hispanics trying to come to the US and Hispanic non-citizens who are here legally and illegally, the key thing is Hispanic Americans don't want to be treated as second class citizens by xenophobes who want to check their papers because they don't look like what Republicans believe Americans should look like. Again, your biggest problem is that Republicans DO NOT WANT a platform that is attractive to Hispanics. Any candidate who tries to open up the party will not get nominated.

Thanks for the insightful and long reply.

Republicans have to start by changing the notion that they want to kick all Hispanics out. Apologies first. Then they will give the ideas on education, taxes, and the economy a chance. I'm an optimist though.

The pessimists think we're screwed (and they "get" that hispanics are here to stay. stop thinking that cletus in bfe is the braintrust of the party, i don't think the obamaphone lady is the braintrust of yours). http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/332916/why-hispanics-dont-vote-republicans-heather-mac-donald

Last edited:
Republicans have to start by changing the notion that they want to kick all Hispanics out. Apologies first. Then they will give the ideas on education, taxes, and the economy a chance. I'm an optimist though.

The pessimists think we're screwed (and they "get" that hispanics are here to stay. stop thinking that cletus in bfe is the braintrust of the party, i don't think the obamaphone lady is the braintrust of yours). http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/332916/why-hispanics-dont-vote-republicans-heather-mac-donald

It doesn't matter who the brain trust is. As long as Cletus in BFE runs for office and Cletuses in BFE vote for him, there isn't much the brain trust can do. All the establishment Republicans who lost to Cleatuses are a great example of that.

Hello, I'm not sure I get why you posted the article. She made two points. The first was the same that I made above. The second was what you and others are trying to claim Republicans don't believe, "And a strong reason for that support for big government is that so many Hispanics use government programs."

Maybe it sounds smarter to you because it comes from the National Review, but she isn't saying anything new.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter who the brain trust is. As long as Cletus in BFE runs for office and Cletuses in BFE vote for him, there isn't much the braintrust can do. See all the Republicans who have beaten the brain trust's picks in the primary.

Your generalization is still wrong.

It doesn't matter who the brain trust is. As long as Cletus in BFE runs for office and Cletuses in BFE vote for him, there isn't much the braintrust can do. See all the Republicans who have beaten the brain trust's picks in the primary.

Not sure that is true. Romney and McCain were establishment candidates. There were plenty of Cletuses (Cleti?) in the Primary. You can buy a primary. As long as the braintrust is bankrolled, they will get their candidate more often than not.

Just wait till Democrats start tacking towards the "obamaphone lady" braintrust to secure their primary victory. Pandelerium.

Not sure that is true. Romney and McCain were establishment candidates. There were plenty of Cletuses (Cleti?) in the Primary. You can buy a primary. As long as the braintrust is bankrolled, they will get their candidate more often than not.

I was talking about the Senate races.

Hello, voters determine who your nominee is.

I was talking about the Senate races.

Hello, voters determine who your nominee is.

And they will eventually be fiscal conservatives that are socially libertarian. The democrats' demographic isn't the only one that is going to change and evolve. You seem to be missing that point.

Obama owes Bill and he knows it.

Bush vs. Clinton -

Clinton peace/Each Bush got us into at least one war
Clinton prosperity/ Bush 41 not really- Bush 43 nearly Hoover redux.

The slogan - Can we afford another Bush?

This will be old news by then RJ and I mean both Bosh & Clinton. I think Mark Warner would be a great President and could possibly bring the country together as a very conservative Democrat. He is a very sucessful businessman but a social moderate.

If the Dems mess around again with a northeastern candidate, they'll get creamed (see Kerry, Dean, etc.).

And they will eventually be fiscal conservatives that are socially libertarian. The democrats' demographic isn't the only one that is going to change and evolve. You seem to be missing that point.

What point? Democrat demographics are changing because America is continually becoming more diverse. Religious conservatives aren't going to become less religious. Xenophobes who hate "Mexicans" aren't going to become less xenophobic, especially since America is becoming more diverse. That's a belief thing not a demographic thing.

What point? Democrat demographics are changing because America is continually becoming more diverse. Religious conservatives aren't going to become less religious. Xenophobes who hate "Mexicans" aren't going to become less xenophobic, especially since America is becoming more diverse. That's a belief thing not a demographic thing.

Younger conservatives aren't like this. The ones after us won't be like this. The ones that are like this will be extinct eventually.

Younger conservatives aren't like this. The ones after us won't be like this. The ones that are like this will be extinct eventually.

So all the people posting this inflammatory crap on Facebook and Twitter are in their 50s?

Going back to the other thread, young Republicans are already using Facebook and Twitter to spread their hateful beliefs.

So all the people posting this inflammatory crap on Facebook and Twitter are in their 50s?

Going back to the other thread, young Republicans are already using Facebook and Twitter to spread their hateful beliefs.

citing stupid things young people say on the internet is a terrible argument and can literally be made for anyone. for fun, type in "mitt romney cracka" on the twitter search bar. That's really tolerant what those "Young Democrats" are saying.

citing stupid things young people say on the internet is a terrible argument and can literally be made for anyone. for fun, type in "mitt romney cracka" on the twitter search bar. That's really tolerant what those "Young Democrats" are saying.

I don't get your point:

[h=2]Results for "mitt romney cracka"[/h] [h=2]Tweets Top / All [/h] 6 Nov Sneak-Biggilo ‏@sneakyboss2527
Fucc mitt Romney! Cracka Bitch!

Expand

6 Nov Maleeee♡ ‏@OhThatsMalee
I Wish This Mitt Romney Cracka Would Start Slavery Again ! Pshiiddd He Bumped His Head ! BANT BAAANT BANNT !

Expand

4 Nov ☝AlwaysStayTrue ‏@_M_G_TWON
If dis mitt Romney cracka win yall betta be prepared ion trust em at all

Expand

You’ve reached the end of the Top Tweets for "mitt romney cracka".
View all Tweets.

Back