• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

Tell me you love to use the idea of jewish votes for your campaign while at the same time reserving the right to continue to actually dislike those same people.

That’s a very Christian nationalist view of Jewish people.

Not hypocrisy, but didn’t know where else to out this and didn’t think it warranted it’s own thread:

The United Methodist Church voted yesterday at their general conference to end its prohibition of gay clergy and removed “celebration same-sex unions” from the list of chargeable offenses.

The vote was 692-51

Not hypocrisy, but didn’t know where else to out this and didn’t think it warranted it’s own thread:

The United Methodist Church voted yesterday at their general conference to end its prohibition of gay clergy and removed “celebration same-sex unions” from the list of chargeable offenses.

The vote was 692-51
Great news, but the main reason it passed was because most of the more conservative Methodist churches that opposed allowing gay clergy and marriage and had been blocking it have left the UMC to form their own separate denomination. The UMC has been the third-largest Christian denomination in the country for awhile (behind Catholics and Southern Baptists) but after this split it may no longer be. At any rate it's nice to see that the remaining UMC churches finally did the right thing.

I think the international churches were also heavily against it, IIRC

That is great news for the United Methodist Church. And the hate filled churches that left them have joined the global methodist church. So if you have a church in your community that has recently joined the Global methodist church, you know exactly what they are because they just came out and told us with that move.

Great news, but the main reason it passed was because most of the more conservative Methodist churches that opposed allowing gay clergy and marriage and had been blocking it have left the UMC to form their own separate denomination. The UMC has been the third-largest Christian denomination in the country for awhile (behind Catholics and Southern Baptists) but after this split it may no longer be. At any rate it's nice to see that the remaining UMC churches finally did the right thing.
True, about 20% of churches have left since 2019. It's still the 3rd largest denomination ahead of LDS and COGIC.

an oldie but still my favorite....What's the difference between a Methodist and a Baptist? The Methodist will speak to you at the liquor store.

What's your best Methodist joke?
How many Christians does it take to change a lightbulb?

Charismatics: Only one and his hands are already in the air.
Pentecostals: Ten. One to change the bulb, and nine to pray against the spirit of darkness.
Presbyterians: None. Lights will go on and off at predestined times.
Roman Catholic: None. Candles only.
Baptists: At least 15. One to change the light bulb, and three committees to approve the change and decide who brings the potato salad.
Episcopalians: Three. One to call the electrician, one to mix the drinks and one to talk about how much better the old one was.
Methodists: Undetermined. Whether your light is bright, dull, or completely out, you are loved. You can be a light bulb, turnip bulb, or tulip bulb. Church wide lighting service is planned for Sunday. Bring bulb of your choice and a covered dish.
Nazarene: Six. One woman to replace the bulb while five men review church lighting policy.
Lutherans: None. Lutherans don't believe in change.
Jehovah's Witnesses: Three. One to screw in the bulb, and two to knock on your door and ask you if you've seen the light!
Amish: What's a light bulb?

an oldie but still my favorite....What's the difference between a Methodist and a Baptist? The Methodist will speak to you at the liquor store.
An old one: What's the difference between Methodists and Baptists? Methodists are Baptists who can read.

I grew up in the Methodist church and we would always joke about how the service had to end right at noon so we could beat the Baptists to Morrisons Cafeteria.

One of my first churches where I worked was a small rural church in Blum, TX (pop. 399!) and every Sunday about 11:45, if the pastor hadn't finished the sermon, one of the old-timer ranchers in the back would hold up his hands and do the "spin your fingers, wrap it up" motion because the Cowboys came on at noon.

I grew up in a often way too modern ARP Church. I remember on Ascension Thursday our hip Hymn Committee sang "Leaving on a Jetplane".

Back