• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Wall, Believe Me

Just curious MDMH, you don't think that feeling morally superior for spending other people's money is self serving?
Both sides of every argument feel morally superior about their beliefs, and please don't give me some bullshit about OPM, my family pays our tax bracket share with no write offs.

Just curious MDMH, you don't think that feeling morally superior for spending other people's money is self serving?

Townie I am going to need a ruling about the irony of this post, posted on a "build the wall" thread. Toss up between hypocritical, and ironic IMO.

Townie I am going to need a ruling about the irony of this post, posted on a "build the wall" thread. Toss up between hypocritical, and ironic IMO.

Why so touchy? As a philosophy, liberalism, which is in important ways derived from Hedonism, or Epicureanism, is about as self serving as a philosophy can get. Accept it, deal with it.

Why so touchy? As a philosophy, liberalism, which is in important ways derived from Hedonism, or Epicureanism, is about as self serving as a philosophy can get. Accept it, deal with it.
The fact that we disagree about politics is fine and natural, my problem with you is that you don't seem to realize that both of our opinions are self serving and require "OPM".

The fact that we disagree about politics is fine and natural, my problem with you is that you don't seem to realize that both of our opinions are self serving and require "OPM".

Everybody's opinions are self-serving. I've never claimed otherwise about myself or anyone else. Why do you feel the urge to project such misconceptions onto me?

Everybody's opinions are self-serving. I've never claimed otherwise about myself or anyone else. Why do you feel the urge to project such misconceptions onto me?
If you truly felt that our opposing beliefs were equally self serving, than you would have had no logical point to have brought up the concept in a previous post. The fact that you are jumping around about it now makes it seem as if you painted yourself into a corner with your argument. Maybe half baked condescending philosophy isn't your thing. But if you want to keep talking about the wall, we can do that.

I think that you are projecting your misconceptions again.

Be that as it may, my opinion on the wall is wait and see. There are many difficulties for building such a wall. At the same time a country must be able to control it's frontiers against illegal incursions. That's an inherent part of the modern state system. If a country does not, the voters will eventually punish the leadership. One way or another, the US must regain control over its border with Mexico.

Exactly, Sailor as a conservative why are you ok with spending 20 + billion dollars of OPM on a ineffective wasteful federal government program?

Exactly, Sailor as a conservative why are you ok with spending 20 + billion dollars of OPM on a ineffective wasteful federal government program?

tumblr_mkanblQoNj1rprju4o1_500.gif

Be that as it may, my opinion on the wall is wait and see. There are many difficulties for building such a wall. At the same time a country must be able to control it's frontiers against illegal incursions. That's an inherent part of the modern state system. If a country does not, the voters will eventually punish the leadership. One way or another, the US must regain control over its border with Mexico.

More people remain in the country illegally from overstaying a legal visit than from crossing borders illegally. Why build a wall, which addresses a smaller group of people in the country illegally, at a higher cost, instead of cracking down on people overstaying their visas?

Again, the answer is what I said yesterday: the wall as a physical barrier appeals to the lowest common denominator on the "stop illegal immigration side."

Last edited:
It's funny watching gullible losers fall for shit like this wall. I'm going to sit back and enjoy seeing the Wisconsin crackers still not get their shitty jobs back.

fuckin unreal that pubs are falling for this shit

paul ryan said no to 8.7BN for katrina relief but he's all for this wall that'll be somewhere in the 7-14BN range

asinine

True but building a wall might be the least effective, most expensive possible way of achieving this. It is also the definition of big federal government pushing it's will through executive powers over the states, and directly goes against the wish's of the American people living in those states. It is beyond dumb, and anyone pushing for it is being willfully ignorant.

jesus where do you come up with this shit

Sailor is a perfect example of #AlternativeFacts and why Trump got elected.

That will be sad. Just like it's sad the most vulnerable Americans are the ones who have been most hurt by our immigration policies. But none of you seem to give a fuck about your fellow Americans.

serious question: why are we always so quick to defend our fellow countrymen from harm, when all that separates us from Canadians or Mexicans is simply a line in the dirt that politicians and/or generals drew over 100 years ago? is it entirely about money?

corollary question: assuming that's satisfactorily resolved, why don't we get just as worked up about state and county boundaries?

Back