• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Wellman Coaching Profile

Whiskey Foxtrot

Reaction score
Love the boards as it helps keep me connected to everything up here in what Gary called Alaska. While I've seen lots of names thrown around for our next coach, I haven't seen a discussion on Wellman's thought process. However, we already know as it was laid out after the Clawson hire. I've got no other reason to think this time (I hope) will be different.

I've adapted the copy from Collins' 12/10/13 article "Choice of Clawson as easy as 1-2-3-4 for WFU"

Wellman said that [NEW BASKETBALL COACH] checked off all the boxes on Wellman’s wish list for a [BASKETBALL] coach. A [15-25 YEARS AGO] graduate of [SMALL PRIVATE SCHOOL IN THE U.S.A.], [NEW BASKETBALL COACH]’s career record is [JUST HIGHER THAN .500] as a head coach at [PRIVATE COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY 1, PRIVATE COLLUGE/UNIVERSTIY 2 AND SMALL STATE SCHOOL].
He was [MINIMUM .500] at [PRIVATE SCHOOL 1], but [ABOVE .700] over his final three seasons. He was [NEAR .600] at [PRIVATE SCHOOL 2], but [NEAR .700] over his final three seasons. He was [BACK TO .500] at [SMALL STATE SCHOOL], but [NEAR .700 AGAIN] over his final two seasons.
[NEW BASKETBALL COACH] won conference championships at all three schools and [MORE THAN ONCE] was named NCAA Division [TBD] Coach of the Year, once at [PRIVATE SCHOOL 1] and again at [PRIVATE SCHOOL 2].
“When a position comes open, we always develop a profile for our next coach,” Wellman said. “In this case the profile was real simple.
“No. 1, we wanted someone who had been a head coach. No. 2, we wanted someone who had head coaching experience, but was also a winner. No. 3 we wanted someone who had been at a private institution. There are differences when you’re at a private institution versus a public institution, and that experience we wanted. So we established that as a priority.
“And No. 4, we wanted someone who we believed would understand the values, standards and ideals of Wake Forest University. And we found that man in [NEW BASKETBALL COACH].”

The original

Wellman said that Clawson checked off all the boxes on Wellman’s wish list for a football coach. A 1989 graduate of Williams College in Massachusetts, Clawson’s career record is 90-80 as a head coach at Fordham, Richmond and Bowling Green.
He was 29-29 at Fordham, but 26-10 over his final three seasons. He was 29-20 at Richmond, but 26-12 over his final three seasons. He was 32-31 at Bowling Green, but 18-8 over his final two seasons.
Clawson won conference championships at all three schools and twice was named NCAA Division I-AA Coach of the Year, once at Fordham and again at Richmond.
“When a position comes open, we always develop a profile for our next coach,” Wellman said. “In this case the profile was real simple.
“No. 1, we wanted someone who had been a head coach. No. 2, we wanted someone who had head coaching experience, but was also a winner. No. 3 we wanted someone who had been at a private institution. There are differences when you’re at a private institution versus a public institution, and that experience we wanted. So we established that as a priority.
“And No. 4, we wanted someone who we believed would understand the values, standards and ideals of Wake Forest University. And we found that man in Dave Clawson.”

There are far more private schools that play D-1 basketball than football. Almost everybody on the lists that have been floating around meet 1-3.

MASIELLO hits all four.

All but one sadly :(
look crew, if ron wellman won't consider steve masiello, we need to find an athletic director that WILL consider steve masiello

i am sick of being told that wellman hates italians, there are plenty of athletic directors that do not hate italians, let's get one of them

trying to replicate the hiring of a football coach who has yet to coach a single game would be a huge mistake. The basketball situation is completely unlike the football situation.

Back