• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The "What Can I Google in Tibet?" Game

demondeacfreak

Reaction score
I'm in Tibet for a couple of days. I was in Shanghai yesterday and read a NY Times article about how Qaddafi was shopping for $200 million worth in Chinese weapons with plans to smuggle them in via Algeria weeks before his regime collapsed while in the airport in Xian (city in central China) this morning. Checked it again this afternoon while in Lhasa and was unable to access it. Turns out the term "Qaddafi" is banned content when connected to the New York Times for any article. I was able to find some other Libyan related news on other sites, and Chinese state news is running a story about how John McCain pushed to sell weapons to Libya several years ago.

Also, I have discovered that while youtube worked in Shanghai it is apparently shut off in Tibet. I am also unable to access many blogs I like to read regardless of their lack of political content. Predictably, "Dalai Lama" is inaccessible as well.

Turns out a certain event in 1989 is censored, but I'm pretty sure that's the case in all of China. I finally met someone a couple of days ago that was willing to say he remembered the events and had seen footage of the young man standing in front of the tanks. First time in nearly twenty years of visiting China that I've heard that from a mainlander.

Personally, I find this fascinating. If anyone on the board wants me to try some search terms or specific sites and how they turn out, feel free to post them here and I'll try them out over the next couple days.

Obviously this site is still accessible for me. Apparently you guys aren't subversive enough. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
you could try chinese involvement in darfur or chiang kai-shek. wouldn't want you to get in trouble, though.

Back