• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This has already been explained before...

SkyDivingDeacon

Reaction score
but why in the hell does Wake Forest not have a golf course for alumni, visitors, general public, students, deacon club members, etc...?

I hate UNC, Duke and NC State but they have great courses and it seems like it adds a lot to the University's appeal. Just curious why we've never seemed to have any plans to do something very similar.

Last edited:
I'm not disagreeing with the O.P., but, at this point, I think we have FAR bigger issues to resolve.

On the other hand, why would we want one? It would cost $$ to build, would probably be a financial drain on the University, and the golf team already has an excellent deal with Old Town Club that literally shares a property boundary with campus.

but why in the hell does Wake Forest not have a golf course for alumni, visitors, general public, students, deacon club members, etc...?

I hate UNC, Duke and NC State have sick courses and it seems like it adds a lot to the University's appeal. Just curious why we've never seemed to have any plans to do something very similar.

UNC's course is boring. I enjoy State's design the best, although the condition of Duke's course is usually better. Once State's course matures, I think it has potential to surpass Duke. I just wish State had more than 1 water hole.

The University could get Palmer to buy Old Town.

There had been talk about 10 years ago, maybe more, about buying the land on Meadowlark Drive across from the elementary school and turning those rolling hills into a golf course. I think there was even talk that it would be designed by Arnold Palmer. This was on land that was once Bowman Gray's estate. But I don't think they were ever able to come up with the money it would have taken, and the land has since been developed into an upscale neighborhood. I'm not big into golf but at the time I thought that would have been sweet.

Where would it go?

Great question. Old Rural Hall Road has a lot of land around it as does Old Hollow Road and virtually all around Highway 66. Would be about a 10 miles/15 minute drive from campus.

I'm also not a golf architect so I have no idea if they could carve one out in an area closer to campus or not, but Salem Lake also has a lot of land around it. Now whether this land is for sale or not or owned by NC, I have no idea.

A more recent deal involved the Dalton farm up in Stokes county, but that also fell through.

On the other hand, why would we want one? It would cost $$ to build, would probably be a financial drain on the University, and the golf team already has an excellent deal with Old Town Club that literally shares a property boundary with campus.

Yeah the golf team has a sick setup. No argument there. I'm specifically talking about a course that Alumni, Students, Deacon Club Members, General public, etc... (i.e. exactly like Duke, UNC, State and tons of other schools have in place) could enjoy.

And I also doubt that the University would shell out big bucks at all to open a course. State's $11.2 Million cost was all raised by private donations. Finley's Fazio design was the same way. Duke's....well Duke has money to burn.

A more recent deal involved the Dalton farm up in Stokes county, but that also fell through.

Yes, the Dalton Farm. This is what I remember hearing. Any other potential deals/ideas out there or is there basically no chance that we ever have a WF course?

The ship has sailed. There will never be one. If Palmer couldn't get it done then nobody will.

It is kind of weird given the high percentage of alumni that seem to be golfers that something like this hasn't been done.

The ship has sailed. There will never be one. If Palmer couldn't get it done then nobody will.

Fair enough. Basically tried to get a good round of golf with some buddies coming down for the state game, and we ended up booking at Grandover in Greensboro. It was the only 'nice' course around that wasn't private. (Tanglewood isn't really a golfers retreat...)

It is kind of weird given the high percentage of alumni that seem to be golfers that something like this hasn't been done.

This was my thought. No idea why there hasn't been more of a push for something like this. Maybe because so many Alumni leave the area after graduation??

I'm not sure that there's really any place that's close enough to merit the economics. It would have to be public to have any chance of surviving and only be able to provide discounted greens fees for WFU folks. There just aren't enough students and alumni and I would think that most somewhat local alumni golfers already have a club.

Back