• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This is a crucial year for maligned coach Jeff [Redacted] and his boss...

grendel

Reaction score
Nonconference ACC schedule analysis by Eamonn Brennan:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...d/88014/nonconference-schedule-analysis-acc-3

WAKE FOREST: Toughness scale (1-10): 5 — Even if Xavier still isn't back to Top 25-level hoops by late December, the Cintas Center is a brutal place to play. But the main feature of this nonconference schedule is Wake's trip to the Bahamas for the Battle 4 Atlantis, where it will play Wiggins and Kansas in the first round (which, good luck with that)...

Wellman really needed a good football season. The torches are being lit and the pitchforks are being sharpened right now.

Is this what your sources in the AD are saying? What's the minimum level of success Buzz must achieve to keep his job? NIT or GTFO I'm hoping?

Last edited:
Is this what your sources in the AD are saying? What's the minimum success Buzz must achieve to keep his job? NIT or GTFO I'm hoping?

I don't know of a set magic number, but there is no way Wellman can keep him around if he fails to win at least 18 games. Looking at the schedule, that ain't happening. We might not score against Kansas.

My gut says 18 wins. Anything less and he's hitting the bricks. I think the staff feels like this, too.

The problem is Wellman. Until he's gone, the vortex of sucktitude will never end.

Wellman really needed a good football season. The torches are being lit and the pitchforks are being sharpened right now.

By the right people, I hope. I don't think think things could get bad enough for Wellman to come back from the NCAA Tournament to an empty office and a pink slip. If the Ben Suttons of the world bought into this crap so far, can things really get bad enough to change their mind?

Oh, I don't think Wellman is in danger of losing his job, but trying to support Bzzz is made much more difficult by another crappy football season rolling into another crappy basketball season.

Oh, I don't think Wellman is in danger of losing his job, but trying to support Bzzz is made much more difficult by another crappy football season rolling into another crappy basketball season.

OK. I agree with that.

Sad state of affairs that in discussing our basketball coach's status we mention what our AD needed to happen -- in other sports mind you --- to keep him around. He shouldn't be attached to a coach like that

Wellman should not survive past [Redacted]. He tied his legacy to Bz and deserves the same result. The rest of the athletic program has fallen far as well. December (or well before) would make perfect sense for Wellman to announce his retirement and avoid what should be inevitable.

To actually address the article, I think that a 5 is very generous for that schedule. I'd probably give it a 3.

I don't know of a set magic number, but there is no way Wellman can keep him around if he fails to win at least 18 games. Looking at the schedule, that ain't happening. We might not score against Kansas.

My gut says 18 wins. Anything less and he's hitting the bricks. I think the staff feels like this, too.

Lose

Every

Fucking

Game

#ScorchedEarth

Reactions: DG3
To actually address the article, I think that a 5 is very generous for that schedule. I'd probably give it a 3.

5 is generous because we didn't technically schedule the part of the schedule that we're getting credit for scheduling! Without Atlantis, we're a 1.

Also, Xavier may not be top-25, but Semaj Christon is going to Wiggins us...

Seppuku

The only honorable option at this point, Mr. [Redacted].

Wellman is apparently not showing his cards with any stated goal except that he needs to see improvement. With such a subjective measure it is anyone's guess as to what happens. My gut feeling is we will be terrible this year winning perhaps 4 conference games and Wellman will be forced to make a move.

20081126173842!Orly.jpg

Back