• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Time to grow up

Announcers actually were commenting on our defense being so aggressive in the early going. The bogus traveling calls impacted our offense as we became hesitant and off stride for the remainder of the half. Collins picked up an early foul which was a cheap one of I recsll and was hell bent not to pick up another allowing Clemson to operate inside. Then there was a play where the ball came loose , was batted around various Clemson players and finally by one of there bigs as he was falling to the floor who pushed it to a guy on the wings who buries a three (or passed it cross court for one). It was one of those halves. Clemson hasn't shot the three or FTs well all year but couldn't miss against us. It was one of those games...

Announcers actually were commenting on our defense being so aggressive in the early going. The bogus traveling calls impacted our offense as we became hesitant and off stride for the remainder of the half. Collins picked up an early foul which was a cheap one of I recsll and was hell bent not to pick up another allowing Clemson to operate inside. Then there was a play where the ball came loose , was batted around various Clemson players and finally by one of there bigs as he was falling to the floor who pushed it to a guy on the wings who buries a three (or passed it cross court for one). It was one of those halves. Clemson hasn't shot the three or FTs well all year but couldn't miss against us. It was one of those games...

The traveling calls were not bogus. They may not have been called evenly, but the ones that were called were legit....and there should have been many more of them called...on both teams. Players travel with the ball more times than they do not travel with the ball.

Have you watched this season? This is just wrong. You're really the definition of MFF.

tigerswood, do you believe this is "a good team"? Newsflash: You are what your record says you are.

Hoopheads like you really, really need to come down to Earth and realize what kind of a program we [don't] have.

tigerswood, do you believe this is "a good team"? Newsflash: You are what your record says you are.

Hoopheads like you really, really need to come down to Earth and realize what kind of a program we [don't] have.

Well said. This team is never going to advance very far with Manning as the head coach. He should be a top assistant in charge of recruiting for a team with a good bench coach....like he was at Kansas.

If you believe the computers, our record shows we are a Top 40 team. that's a good team. We have gaping holes, but the "numbers" say we are a good team.

Good teams have awful nights.

The traveling calls were not bogus. They may not have been called evenly, but the ones that were called were legit....and there should have been many more of them called...on both teams. Players travel with the ball more times than they do not travel with the ball.

The only thing called less is palming the ball... if you do something every day in practice and in every game, it becomes routine and not something you think about. Then when it is pointed out to you, it becomes all you can think about and gives you pause which takes you off your game.

For example, it was once pointed out to me that during my golf swing my right thumb would begin pointed down the shaft but at the end of my swing it would end up crossed over my fingers. I had no idea I did that but for a rather long period of time I was very acutely aware of the movement on every swing. Needless to say it negatively affected my finely honed swing!

The only thing called less is palming the ball... if you do something every day in practice and in every game, it becomes routine and not something you think about. Then when it is pointed out to you, it becomes all you can think about and gives you pause which takes you off your game.

For example, it was once pointed out to me that during my golf swing my right thumb would begin pointed down the shaft but at the end of my swing it would end up crossed over my fingers. I had no idea I did that but for a rather long period of time I was very acutely aware of the movement on every swing. Needless to say it negatively affected my finely honed swing!

That's why we have such a big problem today. For years & years, neither the coaches nor the players gave a damn about the rules of the game....and the referees gradually let them get away with it to keep the game moving along. Of course, the more the referees let them get away with ignoring the rules, the more the players ignored the rules.

It mirrors a lot of other things that are going on in this country today. If you let people get away with breaking the rules without paying a price for it long enough, it gets harder and harder to make people live by those rules.

We have more than enough talent to defeat Clemson; but we have to play hard from the beginning. Our play in the first half was lethargic on both ends of the court and that lost the game. We were not focused, for some inexplicable reason.

Of course we do. And maybe we get a 3rd meeting with them in the ACC tournament to make good on this. On the flipside, N.C. State has enough talent to beat us, and if we match up with them in the ACC tourney, our players need to be very much aware of it.

Agree with this. I've seen Crawford and Woods drag their feet with the ball countless times this season ... and have wondered how they got away with it. Just seems a bit odd that Wake was the recipient of so many of these calls last night.

Of course we do. And maybe we get a 3rd meeting with them in the ACC tournament to make good on this. On the flipside, N.C. State has enough talent to beat us, and if we match up with them in the ACC tourney, our players need to be very much aware of it.

One of the opening day games in the ACCT is going to be WF vs NC State.

In 99.9% of basketball games, traveling isn't called like you think it should be called and the players adjust to that reality. Last night was different and because of it, those calls rattled us at the same time Clemson was able to hit shots....a lethal combination. JC got called for traveling twice and subsequently dropped passes twice that would have led to points. That's potentially 8 points off the board.

It's a shame it happened, but games like that happen.

oh good, BKF is here to complain about rules enforcement

talk about time to grow up

I wish this was just one bad game. But we have had several bad games. We have led in a number of our losses and just flat out collapsed. It is a lack of will. We need guys to decide to play tough defense. Yes there are match up problems, but playing good defense is often a matter of committing to it every time down the floor. We defended no one the first half. The team needs to toughen up as does the coaching staff.

In 99.9% of basketball games, traveling isn't called like you think it should be called and the players adjust to that reality. Last night was different and because of it, those calls rattled us at the same time Clemson was able to hit shots....a lethal combination. JC got called for traveling twice and subsequently dropped passes twice that would have led to points. That's potentially 8 points off the board.

It's a shame it happened, but games like that happen.

The way I "think" traveling should be called has nothing to do with it and is immaterial. Traveling should be called according to the written rules of the game. There is a simple cut & dried rule about what constitutes traveling and it doesn't require any "thinking" or "interpretation".

What the players have been "adjusting to" for too long is seeing how far they can go in violating the rules without having to pay a price for it. As I said, if the players had always had to play the game by the rules of the game, the referees' job would be much easier, there would be far fewer fouls called....and there would subsequently be far less potential for uneven officiating in the game. When the game is played in a way that the rules are virtually ignored...as it is today...the situation is rife for the kinds of problems that we are talking about on this thread.

This team, like Skip's teams for that matter, plays no D but can win games 90-89.

If the other team scores in the 90s and we only score in the 80s that is no bueno and obviously not the recipe for our success. :(

I wish this was just one bad game. But we have had several bad games. We have led in a number of our losses and just flat out collapsed. It is a lack of will. We need guys to decide to play tough defense. Yes there are match up problems, but playing good defense is often a matter of committing to it every time down the floor. We defended no one the first half. The team needs to toughen up as does the coaching staff.

Sound defense requires intensity, desire & sound fundamentals.....and all of those things begin with a head coach who instills the value of those things in his players as a priority.

I can immediately think of two coaches who excelled at that....and that is one big reason why they have won 8 NCAA Championships, 24 Conference Championships and 1,961 games.

There's no excuse for Steph Curry to go 1-11, but he did.

There's no reason for the 42-13 Spurs to lose to the 13-27 Suns in San Antonio.

It's called sports. Bad games happen.

This is absolute truth, but Wake's issue thus far is they haven't come across a superior opponent that has had a bad game (maybe Miami). To have last night happen isn't shocking, but that needs to be balanced out w/ a game like FSU or Notre Dame where they don't find their rhythm & Wake wins.

Back