• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

To Tip or Not to Tip?

you don't have to do anything, but i think it's appreciated. i'd rather be the guy that tips than be the guy who says "we have to pay extra for assembling my order in a bag? what?" but i'm not a cheap asshole.

A question I have been meaning to ask the board and the article brought up... Do you tip on take-out food? The check always has the space for a tip but I typically mark through it and write the total below - but I feel vaguely bad when I do so. On the other hand, what would I be tipping for and who would get it? The cashier? How are they paid - like servers or like 'regular' people?

I always tip 10% for take out (just because it's easy to calculate and I feel like they should get something, but not as much if they had to wait on me).

A question I have been meaning to ask the board and the article brought up... Do you tip on take-out food? The check always has the space for a tip but I typically mark through it and write the total below - but I feel vaguely bad when I do so. On the other hand, what would I be tipping for and who would get it? The cashier? How are they paid - like servers or like 'regular' people?

i always have (and i usually tip the full 20%). reasons being that somebody is still putting everything together, still checking that it's right, etc, but also because by getting it to-go, if i don't tip them, i'm keeping them from having real tips from me sitting at a table.

but i've heard comments all across the board. i think a lot of people don't tip at all. i personally think i should.

i just think that's funny logic.

if it's a locally owned place i go to on a regular basis (especially if I also dine-in there occasionally) i'll tip. if it's Subway or dairy queen or something? no, sorry kids. tipping is out of control

well i dont eat at those places let alone get takeout from them.

if it's a locally owned place i go to on a regular basis (especially if I also dine-in there occasionally) i'll tip. if it's Subway or dairy queen or something? no, sorry kids. tipping is out of control
Nobody tips there.

So you only tip on take-out if you go there regularly and it's not a chain? How about if you were out of town on business and called in a takeout order to PF Chang's?

i think the girl working the carryout window has a higher hourly rate than what a waiter makes

um, subway and dairy queen? do you tip at ANY fast food restaurants? tipping isn't normal at fast food places. i'm talking about when you call in an order to a regular restaurant and get it to go rather than sitting down.

um, subway and dairy queen? do you tip at ANY fast food restaurants? tipping isn't normal at fast food places. i'm talking about when you call in an order to a regular restaurant and get it to go rather than sitting down.

Only if I sit at the bar and have a beer. Check that. Maybe 10%

I do not tip my burrito makers at Moe's.

Last edited:
i always have (and i usually tip the full 20%). reasons being that somebody is still putting everything together, still checking that it's right, etc, but also because by getting it to-go, if i don't tip them, i'm keeping them from having real tips from me sitting at a table.

but i've heard comments all across the board. i think a lot of people don't tip at all. i personally think i should.

I understand these thoughts, but, my question is - who is putting it together and checking that it is right, etc.? The only point of tipping is that the people you are tipping do not make minimum wage but make some ridiculously low wage with the expectation that the tips they earn bring them up to a reasonable hourly amount. If the people who put together my take-out order are already making a "regular" wage and they are the ones that would receive my tip, then it doesn't seem to make sense to tip them. Right?

Hell, at the Chinese place where I get most of my take-out, I think the person putting my meal together and handing it to me is the owner. Am I supposed to tip her?

Which brings me to my real outrage - the hairdresser. My wife goes to a place that is very expensive and the guy that does her hair is one of the owners. I guarantee he makes way more money than I do. And yet she feels the need to tip him like $20, on top of a very expensive hair cut... I don't think that makes sense? Am I living in crazy town?

i'm talking about when you call in an order to a regular restaurant and get it to go rather than sitting down.

As was scooter when he asked the question (and everybody else). Subway doesn't have a place for tips on their bill to my knowledge.

"When we switched from tipping to a service charge, our food improved, probably because our cooks were being paid more and didn't feel taken for granted. In turn, business improved, and within a couple of months, our server team was making more money than it had under the tipped system. "

I'm skeptical. Let's say that a restaurant has 10 servers and 5 cooks. (No idea if this is a realistic ratio.) If you start distributing the tips evenly, total tips paid by customers would have to go up by more than 50% in order for servers to collect more tips than they did previously. So an improvement to the cooks job satisfaction increased business by over 50% in a couple months? It seems highly unlikely that customers would start coming in droves so quickly based on such as subtle change.

I understand these thoughts, but, my question is - who is putting it together and checking that it is right, etc.? The only point of tipping is that the people you are tipping do not make minimum wage but make some ridiculously low wage with the expectation that the tips they earn bring them up to a reasonable hourly amount. If the people who put together my take-out order are already making a "regular" wage and they are the ones that would receive my tip, then it doesn't seem to make sense to tip them. Right?

Hell, at the Chinese place where I get most of my take-out, I think the person putting my meal together and handing it to me is the owner. Am I supposed to tip her?

Which brings me to my real outrage - the hairdresser. My wife goes to a place that is very expensive and the guy that does her hair is one of the owners. I guarantee he makes way more money than I do. And yet she feels the need to tip him like $20, on top of a very expensive hair cut... I don't think that makes sense? Am I living in crazy town?

I am fine tipping the owner. He/she is probably going to take better care of me than anyone else working there.

Typically there is some sharing of the tips.

in most places where i get take-out, the person giving me the order is a bartender. so they don't get "regular" wages either. granted, they probably weren't the ones that assembled the meal, but i don't really think it's up to me to determine who deserves it and who doesn't. if i get the right food at the right time, i'm tipping. i don't care who ends up with the money.

and with the haircut, yes, you tip. i actually read once that you tip the owner and the stylist separately, but that was a long time ago that i read that, and all the places i've ever gone have been big businesses, not a place where i would have any idea who owned it.

I'll tip $10 on a $40-50 haircut. I get my hair cut once a year... I'm ok throwing a little extra money at the person who's able to cut it so it looks decent for that long.
I do $4 on a $20 brow wax, too, because my girl does a good job.

I'll tip $10 on a $40-50 haircut. I get my hair cut once a year... I'm ok throwing a little extra money at the person who's able to cut it so it looks decent for that long.

UNIBROW.jpg

i know if someone is making minimum wage then there is absolutely no reason to pay them more with tips because it's a very acceptable wage for a person to live on.

Once a year? Wow. I get the concept. I guess I just feel it is weird to tip a guy $20 on a $100+ cut and highlight when he is probably making $500k a year or something... For a regular stylist, where the place gets a lot of what you pay them, it makes more sense to me.

I get $10 haircuts and generally tip another $2 or more, depending... Of course, I don't have much hair so there is only so much you can do - and it takes like 5 minutes...

Back