• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top 5 NBA Players from the ACC-- all time

and yet the only counterpoint offered is that Thompson made 2 1st teams

and the point that thompson's peak was longer. a point you made.

whatever. I'm done discussing this. it's ridiculous.

thompson actually made all-nba 1st team twice and was underrated as a pro.

What's funny is that this post reminded me of a simmons piece I read a while back about Thompson being on a similar trajectory to Jordan from age 22-24 before his progression stopped dead in its tracks (likely by cocaine).

I went to look up Thompson's numbers and was surprised to see that once adjusted for pace there was really no merit for such a comparison. Only then did I notice that Thompson's stats were eerily similar to Arenas.

I think many people forget how good Arenas was those 3-4 years in Washington so it was not meant as a knock on Thompson at all. And was not the conclusion I set out to make.

I'm kinda surprised that the ACC hasn't had more top-tier talent that would be part of this discussion.

That's what I learned today. You know which school besides Duke is the most disappointing? Maryland. They had Steve Francis, Steve Blake, Joe Smith, and Vasquez to represent what was a great last 20 years in the ACC. Joe Smith was a good player for a short period of time, but probably the most forgettable #1 pick over the last 20 years. At least people remember Kandi Man sucked. They had good college players like Dixon, Baxter, and Ekezie who won a championship, but didn't pan out. They had several other good players who also weren't NBA level talents either.

Last edited:
Gilbert Arenas and Kyrie Irving were essentially the same player as David Thompson. Learn something new every day.

I know it's a Wake board, and I know it's not totally within his control ... but Chris Paul at least needs to play in a Conference Finals once before he can be taken seriously as an all time great NBA player - and preferably an NBA Finals. It's a really, really giant hole in his resume.

If you make a list of the 10 greatest PG's in NBA history ... Paul is the only one who hasn't made an NBA Finals, let alone the Conference Finals. Great players eventually lead their teams to some form of playoff success. I think Paul will do it with the Clippers eventually, but it's got to happen before he can be seriously considered one of the all time greats.

This.

I put Worthy ahead of Paul for this reason.
Hate to think that Paul ends up as the best point ever without going anywhere in the postseason.

This.

I put Worthy ahead of Paul for this reason.
Hate to think that Paul ends up as the best point ever without going anywhere in the postseason.

giphy.gif

What about Chris Bosh, Shane Battier, Danny Green, and Danny Ferry? Are they also ahead of CP3?

Why not, they've won more championships? Some of them have won multiple championships.

Because winning championships (or having deep playoff runs) isn't the only qualification - of those guys, only Bosh has even ever been the #1 option on a team. It's really not outrageous to say that Chris Paul is a great player, but the lack of playoff success is a knock against his "all-time great" resume.

btw - still too many sleeping on Cunningham in this thread.

Because winning championships (or having deep playoff runs) isn't the only qualification - of those guys, only Bosh has even ever been the #1 option on a team. It's really not outrageous to say that Chris Paul is a great player, but the lack of playoff success is a knock against his "all-time great" resume.

btw - still too many sleeping on Cunningham in this thread.

Was Worthy ever the #1 option on a team? How did that team do in the playoffs?

I'm not going to pretend to know much about Billy Cunningham, but the All-NBA team means a lot less in 1968 with half the number of teams and a rival league diluting talent.

Interesting that the likes of Sheed Wallace, Elton Brand, Grant Hill, Vince Carter and even Shane Battier have been mentioned, but 8 pages in and NO mention of Antawn Jamison, a guy who averaged a very solid 18.5 / 7.5 / 1.5 over his long career.

People hating cuz his mom didn't know how to spell??

Interesting that the likes of Sheed Wallace, Elton Brand, Grant Hill, Vince Carter and even Shane Battier have been mentioned, but 8 pages in and NO mention of Antawn Jamison, a guy who averaged a very solid 18.5 / 7.5 / 1.5 over his long career.

People hating cuz his mom didn't know how to spell??

Because he's clearly not one of the 5 best ACC players? I mean, he was a good player but someone like Bosh has a far better claim to "Top 5" than Jamison. If it was a top 15 ACC players in the NBA, then I bet he'd be getting a lot more burn in this thread.

Heck, I'd rather go to bat for Mark Price than Antawn. Mark Price was All-NBA 1st team!

Back