• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

All the physical tools except height and arm length!

he's got great reactions and gets down well he just has no idea how to organize a defense and is one of the dumbest keepers about positioning and making mental mistakes i've ever watched

he's got great reactions and gets down well he just has no idea how to organize a defense and is one of the dumbest keepers about positioning and making mental mistakes i've ever watched

I agree with this. He has the quickness and shot stopping ability but he's not a cerebral keeper. You can be a great keeper without having the ideal height and length but you have to play with some smarts and Pickford often looks frantic in his play.

I just like making fun of his appearance and physical limitations because I'm shallow like that.

The German government OK'd the start of the Bundesliga by middle to late May.

Games will be played with no fans. The season was almost over when play was halted in March. The season is expected to be complete by the end of June.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/german-bundesliga/story/4092272/coronavirus-bundesliga-to-become-europes-first-major-league-to-resume

Germany's new cases have gone way down, they're under 1K a day from a peak of ~7K per day. Unfort similar things not occurring in the UK, and obviously here as well

I just like making fun of his appearance and physical limitations because I'm shallow like that.

Fair enough. There's just no reason that Pickford shouldn't be as good as a shorter keeper like Shay Given was, but there's something so immature about how he plays.

They seem determined to finish the season. I personally think it's a mistake. As painful as that is... I miss Saturday/Sunday football so much!

So it must be asked - if the season doesn't finish, does Liverpool get credit for winning the league? My guess is they give it to them but the title would certainly would need an asterisk next to it, even despite it being inevitable.

So it must be asked - if the season doesn't finish, does Liverpool get credit for winning the league? My guess is they give it to them but the title would certainly would need an asterisk next to it, even despite it being inevitable.

I don’t see a need for an asterisk. They’re 25 points clear with 9 to play.

Well, the whole season would need an asterisk to denote that all the games weren't played. I don't have a problem with that. If people take that to mean the title wasn't earned, or whatever, not much to do about that. If they look at the table and do a little math they can figure it out what the deal was. Crazy shit happens.

Liverpool have earned the title by now, but I'd feel bad if Champs League spots and relegation were called based on current standings.

Yeah, that would be tough. Sheff. United for the Champs league and Villa trying to escape relegation, have played one game less. I don't know how you swing/justify that.

I think the best argument there if you literally call the season today is no relegations, just promotions. Top 2 or 3 in each league go up, nobody sent down. Then next year send down 5 or 6.

Champs league spots suck a little but not as tough as getting full on relegated.

I think the best argument there if you literally call the season today is no relegations, just promotions. Top 2 or 3 in each league go up, nobody sent down. Then next year send down 5 or 6.

Champs league spots suck a little but not as tough as getting full on relegated.

Oh sure, just have a 23 team Premier League next season. That seems like a wise decision.

Could we not just wait until it's safe to play and then pick up the season where we left off? Two matches per week and a two to three-week break (+ transfer window) would mean a tad under 2 months from restart to new season. The next year will be a compressed mess, certainly (perhaps the cups are cancelled for player safety/limiting total matches), but it doesn't seem like there are any great solutions that come from either nullifying or certifying the current season.

Gab Marcotti did a writeup on the various possibilities: https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...will-they-have-a-summer-of-soccer-or-lawsuits.

He seems to think the best idea is don't relegate or promote anyone and then give Leeds and WBA -- each with a comfortable gap between themselves and the chasing pack in the Champ -- the parachute money the relegated clubs would normally receive.

Certainly would give them an insane leg up in terms of getting promoted out of the Champ next year

Back