• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Think I'd go

Alisson; Trent A-A, Stam, Van Dijk, Robertson; Beckham, Wijnaldum, Keane, Giggs; Salah, Mane.

Maybe Yorke instead of Gini to get some more goals, though I think if you asked Gini to get goals, he'd get them, and if you ask him to be invisible and never touch the ball for 90 minutes but "block space" or "offer an option" or "cover fullbacks" or "use ass to bounce people off him and never lose the ball," he could do all those things. Alisson/Schmeichel is the tough one, but Alisson has been best in the world the last two seasons and is more complete; but it's a tossup.

blomqvist and Jordi make the bench for sentimental reasons.

I am fucking SHOCKED you didn't put Irwin in the XI.

Thought you loved him! (rightfully so, what a player he was)

Also, keita? Wtf, dv7?

I got my all everything in Keane, I got my attacking middie in Scholes, I'll take the best box-to-box guy available.

I rate him more then Gini. And while my man-crush on Becks has never gone down, that isn't his role.

the team the crowd picked was a 4-4-2

Schmeichel
A-A -- Stam -- Van Dijk -- Robertson
Beckham -- Scholes -- Keane -- Giggs
Salah -- Mane

your everton kids are taking new york by storm on winter break

EQjwEtJUcAMhDXQ

EQfhCp0WsAA_mPq

I did love Irwin, I just think Robertson is at a different level. Now I'm thinking that the whole Liverpool front 3 should get in there, but whatever, not too many bad choices!

I did witness (many times in person) Massimo Taibi have one of the greatest goalkeeping runs I've seen at any level in the Spring of '99 at Venezia, so I was def biased. It happens. I saw Jesper Blomqvist destroy Milan in the Champions League one year with IFK, and followed him since. I thought he was pretty silky at Parma and at the time I needed a username for some early soccer comment space on the interwebs or something, kind of forget exactly what now -- I was going down the alphabet and Baggio and Batistuta were taken, and the "qv" is rare, so no one had taken that name.

Jordi I just liked because he was Cruyff's son -- I had sort of followed him at Barca, but really liked him in Euro '96. Was pretty stoked when he, Karel Poborsky, and Blomqvist all went through Manchester in quick succession. I was always mainly supporting Liverpool, but I LOVED Cantona, couldn't help it. He transcends. I focused a lot on Manchester United in the 90s.

Lotta Timo Werner to Liverpool rumblings lately. Think he might be the "big" signing, and they fill in the gaps a couple of other places (relegation steals with Jamal Lewis and Buendia?, center back when Lovren goes - they were linked to Diego Carlos at Sevilla and Ben White at Leeds (loaned from Brighton)), but they will mostly keep it simple, this group has at least another year in them, but Timo makes sense.

Havertz, Sancho, and Mbappe might have to wait.

Rumors out of Holland are that Chelsea have a verbal agreement with Ziyech.

I did love Irwin, I just think Robertson is at a different level. Now I'm thinking that the whole Liverpool front 3 should get in there, but whatever, not too many bad choices!

I did witness (many times in person) Massimo Taibi have one of the greatest goalkeeping runs I've seen at any level in the Spring of '99 at Venezia, so I was def biased. It happens. I saw Jesper Blomqvist destroy Milan in the Champions League one year with IFK, and followed him since. I thought he was pretty silky at Parma and at the time I needed a username for some early soccer comment space on the interwebs or something, kind of forget exactly what now -- I was going down the alphabet and Baggio and Batistuta were taken, and the "qv" is rare, so no one had taken that name.

Jordi I just liked because he was Cruyff's son -- I had sort of followed him at Barca, but really liked him in Euro '96. Was pretty stoked when he, Karel Poborsky, and Blomqvist all went through Manchester in quick succession. I was always mainly supporting Liverpool, but I LOVED Cantona, couldn't help it. He transcends. I focused a lot on Manchester United in the 90s.

Poborsky was a God among men. He was a part of the side when I first started following United. What a fucking player he was!
I mean, he was rightfully shifted out due to the class of '92, but damn, he was a fine player.

Cantona is the attitude all footballers should emulate. Love of the game; Artistry; and Passion.
That's football. That's complete. That's what matters.

Lotta Timo Werner to Liverpool rumblings lately. Think he might be the "big" signing, and they fill in the gaps a couple of other places (relegation steals with Jamal Lewis and Buendia?, center back when Lovren goes - they were linked to Diego Carlos at Sevilla and Ben White at Leeds (loaned from Brighton)), but they will mostly keep it simple, this group has at least another year in them, but Timo makes sense.

Havertz, Sancho, and Mbappe might have to wait.

Of course now Dom King is going with Liverpool wanting in on the Sancho chase this summer, so who knows.

Of course now Dom King is going with Liverpool wanting in on the Sancho chase this summer, so who knows.

Where does Sancho fit? Nothing more annoying than a top team taking on exciting talent as a bench or rotational player. Werner is a better 9 than Firmino, but Mane and Salah are perfect for Liverpool.

United should just blow everyone else out of the water on wages offered to Sancho

I think if they are considering Sancho AND Werner, one of the front three might be leaving. If it's just one, it's partly just planning ahead for an inevitable transition once this group's peak has past, but also all three have played a TON of soccer of the last few years, and I think you're rolling the dice that they stay as healthy as they have been. We've already seen Salah and Mane out a bit this season. Salah may be going to the Olympics and miss preseason, and both he and Mane will probably be out at least a month for AFCON in January.

I also think that that both of these guys could play almost anywhere across the front line, and they are producing. Sancho has the added bonus of being English, so maybe you go to 100 for him. Werner apparently has a pretty reasonable release clause -- around 60m -- for a dude putting up the numbers he has at his age.

So, rotation, cover for injury, and potential to switch to a 4-2-3-1 in certain situations/games. If Sancho continues to develop how he has, he'll force his way in. It's tough to improve the best team in the world, but I think having genuine interchangeable parts able to come in and not have the level drop even a bit is that step. Werner/Sancho > Origi/Shaqiri/Lallana. But two posts ago I was thinking they'd go relatively small, and just a week ago there were stories about how they were going to stick to what got them there, which is more in line with 60m for a 24 year old Timo than 100m for a 20 yo Sancho. Sancho may be too good to pass up, though, you just have to have faith that if he comes he'll know the deal. I don't think Klopp/Edwards would go for it if they had any doubts about his character (I know he's been disciplined a couple of times in his spell at Dortmund), and he (and/or Werner) would have to buy in to how it might be a period of transition before he plays regularly or starts.

I don't know, I totally get why that might be annoying, and it's a genuine legitimate concern, but it's less of an issue with me, I guess.

Last edited:
United should just blow everyone else out of the water on wages offered to Sancho

I know it's a bit "game theory/4D Chess," but I also wouldn't totally be surprised if Liverpool are leaking that they are jumping in just to kind of muddy things up and make it take more money/time for United/Madrid/Chelsea to get it done. I don't know if that's how things actually work though.

SMOKESCREEN.

But he probably fits better, more immediately with United, yeah. They need a new manager though.

I think if they are considering Sancho AND Werner, one of the front three might be leaving. If it's just one, it's partly just planning ahead for an inevitable transition once this group's peak has past, but also all three have played a TON of soccer of the last few years, and I think you're rolling the dice that they stay as healthy as they have been. We've already seen Salah and Mane out a bit this season. Salah may be going to the Olympics and miss preseason, and both he and Mane will probably be out at least a month for AFCON in January.

I also think that that both of these guys could play almost anywhere across the front line, and they are producing. Sancho has the added bonus of being English, so maybe you go to 100 for him. Werner apparently has a pretty reasonable release clause -- around 60m -- for a dude putting up the numbers he has at his age.

So, rotation, cover for injury, and potential to switch to a 4-2-3-1 in certain situations/games. If Sancho continues to develop how he has, he'll force his way in. It's tough to improve the best team in the world, but I think having genuine interchangeable parts able to come in and not have the level drop even a bit is that step. Werner/Sancho > Origi/Shaqiri/Lallana. But two posts ago I was thinking they'd go relatively small, and just a week ago there were stories about how they were going to stick to what got them there, which is more in line with 60m for a 24 year old Timo than 100m for a 20 yo Sancho. Sancho may be too good to pass up, though, you just have to have faith that if he comes he'll know the deal. I don't think Klopp/Edwards would go for it if they had any doubts about his character (I know he's been disciplined a couple of times in his spell at Dortmund), and he (and/or Werner) would have to buy in to how it might be a period of transition before he plays regularly or starts.

I don't know, I totally get why that might be annoying, and it's a genuine legitimate concern, but it's less of an issue with me, I guess.

If any of the top three leave, my money would be on Mane moving on.

Zidane loves Mane, apparently, but they're just one year removed from buying Hazard and have those two young Brazilian studs AND Jovic, but I guess it doesn't matter with Madrid. My guess would be Salah to PSG for something ridiculous, or to Barca when City buy Messi (jk, jk). I think all three stay at least one more year, though.

Last edited:
Back