• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Traveling to Scotland, need advice.

Should I look for lodgings in New Town or Old Town?

And I'm going to try haggis just to say I did and because it played a small role in So I Married an Axe Murderer.

Nothing wrong with well prepared Haggis. You can still walk the Old Course without playing as long as you stay out of the way. Wonderful place.

I haven't been to Scotland since '96, but definitely do Arthur's Seat. I have also been to the Edradour distillery, and it was pretty cool--did that on one of the van tours into the Highlands, which are awesome. Ours went all the way up to Inverness, and we hit Glen Coe, Loch Ness, and the like. The company we used at the time was called Go Blue Banana--their vans had William Wallace themes painted on the sides.

Moon has a great point, Stirling Castle is much cooler than Edinburgh.

Hit up the Elephant House in Edinburgh for lunch. Not only was it delicious and inexpensive, its where J.K. Rowling wrote most of Harry Potter.

I quite enjoyed Haggis. The other stereotypical tourist 'meal' is deep-fried Mars Bars. They claim to have invented deep frying random things, but I think the Dixie Classic Fair would argue otherwise.

Also, if you like booksellers, I recommend Edinburgh Books at 145-147 West Port.

Is haggis better or worse than blood sausage (which I had recently and detested)?

I actually liked black pudding. The English/Scottish breakfast is $$$. Their bacon rocks, its like a cross between our bacon and country ham, but just way more delicious.

Frankenstein.jpg

It wasn't that great, but there were some hotties when I was there.

The Edinburgh Castle is boss, but crowded.

RJ is right - I could barely understand anyone and it's damn near impossible when you're both drunk.

I do remember the food being really good, but it's rather Americanized.

They actually make nachos the way you're supposed to, with real cheese instead of that queso shit that everyone in America does these days.

I was shocked when I encountered that.

I have returned from my trip and wanted to give a recap and say thanks for the suggestions. Edinburgh was absolutely amazing. Such a cool city. I ended up staying in New Town, which was cool but I was always walking over to Old Town to do stuff. I did the castle and saw the one o'clock gun, the scotch whiskey experience, greyfriars kirk, hiked to Arthur's Seat (awesome), Holyrood Palace (meh), the Royal Mile, and the National Museum, which I could have spent all day in. I was there for four nights and spent two of them at an awesome pub on the mile called The Tass, which had really good folk music both nights. I also took a tour one day to Loch Lomond and Stirling Castle. Lomond was a disappointment because it was snowing and you couldn't see anything, but Stirling was pretty cool. I spent half the time looking down on the Stirling Bridge battlefield and imagining what it was like.

Overall a very satisfying trip. I'd really like to go back in the warmer months and see St. Andrews and more of the highlands. I was also pleasantly surprised by the number of quality women I saw while I was there. Thanks Pit!

ETA: I also did a ghost tour that was highly disappointing. Want my money back.

Happy Burns Night, everyone. Hope you drank your scotch.

Went in high school, I liked the haggis, but I questioned my trip that one night we had to stay at a bates motel in the middle of nowhere with the largest dude of our group strongly suggesting we needed to run up the mountain and wrestle some sheep.

Back