• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tricks to Buying an International Plane Ticket

DEACisGO

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Hello friends! As I begin to prepare for my Germany/Scandinavia journey this July, I am finding that tickets from Charlotte to Munich are quite pricey (as expected). For those of you with significant travel/plane ticket buying experience, are there any tricks of the trade as far as getting the best price? Not just talking about which is the best website to use, but also what days of the week are the best to buy, how long before my trip I should wait in search of deals, whether hiring a travel agent is worthwhile. Any help would be greatly appreciated by me and my wallet!

go to www.kayak.com - it will show you the prices for each day.

I'm not sure if Priceline will let you do this trip, but if your travel time isn't set, try it. Start by offering 30-40% less than the price.

The flight might suck, but if you save 30+%, you can spend the money for a nicer hotel the first night.

Where do you want to fly into/out of? Swiss Air has some unreal deals right now that are nearly half anything else around. You might have to fly out of JFK, but you're looking at $600 roundtrip to a number of destinations including Berlin.

You almost always want to fly on Tuesdays. Usually prices can drop until 4-6 weeks beforehand, but with flights in the summer that isn't as likely to happen. If you find something that seems really good, book it. I've never used travel agents, but it never hurts to try. Look around on your own and see if they can beat it.

That reminds me, someone was talking about going to Turkey. I don't remember who it was or on which thread, but in case they look at this; Swiss Air's flights to Istanbul are under $600 right now for certain dates. That's an awesome deal.

Not specific to international flights, but I heard some "expert" on the radio today say that airlines start releasing cheaper seats about 3 months out to see what kind of market is out there.

Back