• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TV recommendations?

redwing42

Reaction score
My old plasma is finally giving out, so I'm in the market for a new TV. Space constraints limit me to around a 43" screen. I'm leaning towards a Samsung (maybe a QLED if I can talk my wife into it), but does anyone have any particular suggestions?

I'm no expert, but at that size I think I'd just get a 4k ultraHD with HDR. Then pick a leading high-quality brand. And look at the features you want or don't (number of HDMI inputs, analog audio out, etc.).

I've been really happy with my Sony that's not even 4k or HDR. When friends/neighbors come by they think it looks better than theirs (which are fancier in some ways). I've read that Sony puts a fair amount of effort/expense into their processors. I can tell you there's definitely more to it than the headline specifications. I recently bought a cheap brand "4k ultraHD with HDR" (for a basement room) and it does not have near as good a picture as my older regular HD Sony.

OLED is all the rage (or maybe the Samsung QLED). You'd have to decide for yourself if the extra cost is worth it.

Good luck, enjoy.

I’ve had several Samsung TVs and always been very pleased.

I've been reading great reviews about the TCL Roku TVs. A lot of bang for the buck apparently.

I've been reading great reviews about the TCL Roku TVs. A lot of bang for the buck apparently.

I'll second this...got one a few months ago and its great. The setup is so easy to go from cable to roku to video games, etc.

We have a Roku stick that we use on the current TV, so I was curious about the quality on those TCLs.

I'll second this...got one a few months ago and its great. The setup is so easy to go from cable to roku to video games, etc.

What size did you get? One review I read said that the 45 and unders aren't as good as the larger ones, and I need a smaller model due to space.

Looking quickly, I don't see any OLED tv's smaller than 55 inches. Samsung does make a 43 inch QLED.

For me, the extra cost compared to regular LED wasn't worth OLED/QLED. But the cost is coming down some.

And, again, all "LED"s are not equal, even if the specs indicate they might be.

What size did you get? One review I read said that the 45 and unders aren't as good as the larger ones, and I need a smaller model due to space.

i got the 55" from Costco and it has been great

brother loves his 50"

I second the Roku TCLs. I’ve got two 55’, one for gaming and one for a patio.

You would have to be sitting at like 6" away from screen to notice difference in 4k and 1080p at that size.

TCL is a Chinese brand that is something like 3rd in worldwide sales. They are not a new company, previously marketed in the US as RCA. They do get good reviews as far as "bang for the buck." I just bought a 49" 4K TCL tonight for $130. It was on clearance and then marked down again as someone returned it right on front of me (box was never opened).

The TCL models are on sale on Amazon right now. Just got a 49” for $219

Prices like that you just want to buy one just because.

It's worth mentioning that I think the model folks are referring to as being well reviewed for value is the TCL 6 series, which retails for $600 for 55" and $900 for 65". I just picked up the 65" myself, and it's great. The QA isn't *great*... I definitely noticed dark corners on both of the sets I got (returned the first one because it went on sale for March Madness and Amazon wouldn't do a price adjustment, so returned + reordered), and I've read reviews where folks had issues with vertical banding. Still, for the price, the picture quality is insane, and it has a lot of bells and whistles (4K + HDR w/ local dimming zones). I'm really happy with my purchase.

All of them are on sale except the 43", which is the size I'd be looking for.

Prices like that you just want to buy one just because.

prices2-1.png

At 43" it doesn't matter - just get the cheapest TV you can.

Back