• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Two soccer questions

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
The first one is: It seems celebrations often take 30-90 seconds. Is this added to the injury time at the end of a half or the end of the game?

Why doesn't the person who is fouled take the penalty kick in the box? It seems unfair that the worst guy on the team can get fouled and then the best guy gets to take the penalty kick.

The first one is: It seems celebrations often take 30-90 seconds. Is this added to the injury time at the end of a half or the end of the game?

Why doesn't the person who is fouled take the penalty kick in the box? It seems unfair that the worst guy on the team can get fouled and then the best guy gets to take the penalty kick.

1) Yes
2) It is like a technical foul in basketball -- let your best shooter take it.

I think it's unfair, because the guy who got fouled is the guy who should shoot it. He's the person who was in the play.

I understand that in a shootout you should be able pick the shooters like shooting a T, but in the game, the person who is actually fouled should shoot it.

Thanks about extra time. Regarding this, can a team get a card or a penalty for taking to long for their celebration?

But for something like a hand ball there isn't a direct "foulee"

How often does the worst guy on the team get fouled in the box?

I think it's unfair, because the guy who got fouled is the guy who should shoot it. He's the person who was in the play.

I understand that in a shootout you should be able pick the shooters like shooting a T, but in the game, the person who is actually fouled should shoot it.

Thanks about extra time. Regarding this, can a team get a card or a penalty for taking to long for their celebration?

Refs will tell the players to get back on their side of the pitch if the celebration is taking too long, if they ignore him they can get booked. Players will automatically get a yellow card if they remove their shirt to celebrate -- probably my least favorite rule in football.

Your point about penalties is an odd one. Do you think all free kicks should be taken by the player that was fouled as well? What about corner kicks? Should those only be taken by the person that was the last offensive player to touch the ball before a defender put it over the end line?

But for something like a hand ball there isn't a direct "foulee"

I understand that should be the choice of the team.

I was specifically talking a foul like the one in the Costa Rica game. The guy from Uruguay was tackled. He should have taken the free.

Just because it's a "rule" doesn't mean it has to be fair or shouldn't be changed.

This reminds me of the time RJ tried to lecture golf fans about what rules of golf needed to be changed.

Well we've got almost a whole year to come up with some stupid horse racing changes.

A penalty kick is unlike any other play. It almost always leads to a goal. I think the person involved in the play should be the one who participates.

I was watching the game with two other people who are casual viewers of soccer. Each of us was surprised that the person who was directly involved didn't take the penalty.

A corner is like an out of bounds play. Anyone can throw the ball into play. Anyone can kick it in.

You know if soccer really wants to have worldwide appeal, FIFA should have a focus group of people who never watch the game, and have them come up with new rules to improve the sport.

What if the "foulee" is hurt? Can someone else take the kicks for him in that case? If so, couldn't the player just fake an injury every time if he's not the best PK taker? This is soccer after all.

A penalty kick is unlike any other play. It almost always leads to a goal. I think the person involved in the play should be the one who participates.

I was watching the game with two other people who are casual viewers of soccer. Each of us was surprised that the person who was directly involved didn't take the penalty.

A corner is like an out of bounds play. Anyone can throw the ball into play. Anyone can kick it in.

With that logic, the player who commits the foul should play keeper for the penalty kick.

Then what about free kicks for foul outside of the penalty area? Should those be taken by the "foulee" as well?

Back