• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ukraine is game to you?

Former NATO commander Wesley Clark is advocating heavily for us to establish a no fly zone over Ukraine at their invitation. He, more than most, knows the risks involved. He seems to think Putin has, or will very soon, order the complete clearing of Kyiv.

I get the desire for a no fly zone but that’s basically going all in with war. To establish a no fly zone means you shoot down things flying in said airspace which means Russian planes and helicopters. It’s not like you just declare no fly zone and Russia packs up, you would have to actually enforce it meaning engagements.

I get the desire for a no fly zone but that’s basically going all in with war. To establish a no fly zone means you shoot down things flying in said airspace which means Russian planes and helicopters. It’s not like you just declare no fly zone and Russia packs up, you would have to actually enforce it meaning engagements.

This.

Y'all notice how the American public is almost united against Russia but there's no outbreak of anti-Russian violence? People are against Putin but not against the Russian people. But a virus started in China and anti-Chinese violence and rhetoric increased.

This.

Y'all notice how the American public is almost united against Russia but there's no outbreak of anti-Russian violence? People are against Putin but not against the Russian people. But a virus started in China and anti-Chinese violence and rhetoric increased.

If you are going to fight a typical Russian guy or a typical Chinese guy, which one are you choosing? Plus, it is not like Russia is attacking the US (yet). White people killing white people doesn't move the needle, right?

This.

I don't disagree, but we're working with radically different temporalities and proximities between those two cases.

I don't disagree, but we're working with radically different temporalities and proximities between those two cases.

Huh? Would it help I said we also aren’t seeing violence against Eastern Europeans more broadly?

This.

The Russian people are bravely protesting their own government in the streets. The Chinese government is committing genocide and how much pushback do we see? Maybe the difference in reaction has something to do with the difference in circumstances and not everything is about race.

This must make Trump and his cronies pucker up

The Russian people are bravely protesting their own government in the streets. The Chinese government is committing genocide. Maybe the difference in reaction has something to do with the difference in circumstances and not everything is about race.

You may want to read this again. You’re either blaming Chinese people for the Chinese government’s actions or calling Chinese people weak because Chinese social movements don’t get publicized in the West. You’re basically blaming them for being more oppressed. You’re also claiming a few protests are representative of all Russian people even though we know Putin has a strong base of support. It’s an ugly post regardless.

Next you’ll claim that putting Japanese-Americans in concentration camps instead of German-Americans and American Nazis wasn’t about race either.

I am simply offering a reason why we aren’t hearing about anti Russian attacks in the US. It also probably has something to do with it being harder to identify someone as Russian. I sure as hell don’t condone discrimination of either group and think it’s incredibly stupid to hate someone for something a government they don’t support or are not a citizen of is doing.

We're three days (temporal) into this direct invasion of a democratic state that hasn't clearly impacted American lives (proximity/sense of immediacy).

I'm saying those are things you have to consider when you try to draw a line between this invasion and the Coronavirus pandemic as it pertains to racial violence.

And I wasn't disagreeing with you, just adding context that might explain why people aren't assaulting Russians in American streets.

If (god forbid) Russia shot down a Delta flight or something, it'd be a lot more immediate to Americans - and I'd wager racial violence would rear its head.

LCBO in Ontario (state owned booze like NC) pulls all Russian vodka from shelves. Let’s get on board with this please Roy.

I am simply offering a reason why we aren’t hearing about anti Russian attacks in the US. It also probably has something to do with it being harder to identify someone as Russian. I sure as hell don’t condone discrimination of either group and think it’s incredibly stupid to hate someone for something a government they don’t support or are not a citizen of is doing.

You're contradicting yourself now. You just said it was a difference in circumstances, not about race. And plenty of people who aren't Chinese were victims of anti-China backlash as well because Americans have trouble identifying some as Chinese rather than of many other Asian ethnicities.

274814284_10227349850471962_7664787691406121648_n.jpg

speaking of

Back