• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unimportant PC question

Skydog Deac

Reaction score
My Lenovo PC is five years old. I don't do much more than web stuff, email, Excel and Word, so I'm not interested in upgrading at this time. I usually leave it on. After about 10 days, it slows down a lot. I was wondering if anyone knew any diagnostics to run to keep this from happening so fast. I defrag regularly, and use CCleaner to delete files, clean the registry, and remove unneeded start up files. Anything else I should do on a regular basis?

Guess I just have just cut to the chase and asked if others use any diagnostic tools on their PC's beyond something like CCleaner and defragging.

I'm the exact same boat, Skydog - same computer type and age, same precautionary measures. I also use an ad-blocker and run spybot search and destroy when I get around to CCleaner and defragging.

I'll start restarting my laptop more. That's good advice.

You're already doing pretty much everything you can to keep a 5 year old PC running smoothly. Possibly a silly question, but do you have a ton of files stored on your desktop? If so, archive them into folders - that will give your speed a boost.

You're already doing pretty much everything you can to keep a 5 year old PC running smoothly. Possibly a silly question, but do you have a ton of files stored on your desktop? If so, archive them into folders - that will give your speed a boost.

True, too many pictures. Thanks for the advice.

Don't use the registry cleaner on CCleaner. It doesn't delete any files that would improve performance, but it can delete necessary system files.

Back