• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Updates to the Joel?

Cassell is another relic that needs to be torn down (60 years old). While a great, loud atmosphere for home fans, the seats above the portals are tiny, and the steps are hard to navigate (the steps are also uneven with a short step followed by a ridiculously tall step).
The section- and seat-numbering system is not intuitive

Cameron is a shit hole if they didn't have a winning team in there.

As I've said 100 times, it's not ONLY the arena that results in win. Of course, the Coach is huge. To win in this world over the long haul, you have to be firing on all cylinders. A++ coach, facility, AD. Any weakness makes it very hard, though not impossible, to win. Of course, landing miracles like Tim Duncan and Alondes Williams, whom no one else was recruiting, helps a great deal. And those flash in the pans will always happen on occassion.

22 likes to say "but Duke has better players." Yes, of course they do, and as K will tell you, the proper venue was one of the critical cogs in getting them there.

Those who think Duke's success is ALL because of Coach K, forget that in the 20 years before K, Duke accomplished more than we have in over 100 years of basketball.

I hope we don’t end up having 8 coaches over the next 40 years.

We’ve had 8 head coaches over the last 50 years.

So Forbes success this year is a flash in the pan, he was just lucky to get Alondes.

Jesus Christ fuck off dude.

The exterior of Gore Gym would work if it’s on campus.

Gore Gym is the last time we built our own arena. It is and was awesome.

I promise you all that literally no one wants to copy the shitty derelict outdated aesthetic of Cameron Indoor - we just want a similar seating plan that’s going to lend itself to a more intense game experience. None of us want Wake to build a 70yo decrepit gymnasium.

Now can you all please drop the stupid strawman argument with Donald Ross?

Last edited:
No matter where we play, when you have a good home crowd you can't crap the bed by throwing the game away with TO's. :mad:

So you’re proposing we settle for less than optimal in one aspect of the program…

I’m sure that will turn out well—just like the last 6 disastrous decades.

This is one place you lose people. Sure, we haven't made a final 4 in 60 years or won a title, but, we have had a lot of successful periods during those 6 decades. Perennial top 3 conference finishes, top 20 (and higher) rankings, making the tournament year after year, etc. - For 20 or 30 years we were easily one of the top 20-25 programs in the country. We were, in two words, relevant and respected. Do we want better? Absolutely. Were those years disastrous - No.

...We aren't even close to 14,000 for most games. Covid, Monday makeup, fertilizer explosions... point remains. Will be curious to see Miami and ND, but I bet its closer to 8K than 14K....

Reported attendance was 7,698 for a matchup between two top-5 ACC teams. My quote is from a few days before the game.

Previously mentioned a starting range of 7500-9000 seating. Maybe we adjust that down to 7000-8500. Only Duke, State or Carolina is going to draw over 8K consistently in this era of college sports live viewing for basketball. And why fill up your home arena with a few thousand visiting fans? The extra revenue for 2-3 games is probably not much different to the bottom line (could be way off on this, but guessing most are getting on secondary market anyways).

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure you can justify pouring $100 million into an arena for a sport declining as quickly as college basketball.

$170 million for 5000 seats. My gosh the debt that little school has to pay off for decades.

$170 million for 5000 seats. My gosh the debt that little school has to pay off for decades.

High Point is notorious for never borrowing money. Their debt is outweighed vastly by their assets. I believe their asset to debt ratio is nearly 10:1. Which is truly remarkable. HPU is so rich they scoff at a 170 million dollar project.

Last edited:
Back