• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US News 2024 Rankings (Wake #47)

We're #1 now if people are not paying close attention:

2024 Top Performers on Social Mobility: National Liberal Arts Colleges – Top 3
1. Lake Forest College (IL)
2. Agnes Scott College (GA) (tie)
2. Salem College (NC) (tie)
2. Spelman College (GA)

Good on Salem. I know they have one of the highest Pell Grant students percentage in the nation.

Good on Salem. I know they have one of the highest Pell Grant students percentage in the nation.
They do - second highest % Pell grant in the country. But, they only enrolled 45 new students two years ago (though that's up to 179 students this year). And I have heard rumblings that they are in major trouble financially.

My daughter is college hunting and will apply to Wake, I think. Whether ranked 24 or 47 she knows she is not going without a scholarship. I cannot justify the price or loan debt.

Do public universities hand out lots of scholarships to out of state students? I know people here in Texas who have had kids go to Oregon, Colorado, Arizona State, etc. I just cannot see why my daughter would go to those places at a premium if she can go to Texas or Texas A&M.

They do - second highest % Pell grant in the country. But, they only enrolled 45 new students two years ago (though that's up to 179 students this year). And I have heard rumblings that they are in major trouble financially.

Evidence of Go Woke Go Broke.

My daughter is college hunting and will apply to Wake, I think. Whether ranked 24 or 47 she knows she is not going without a scholarship. I cannot justify the price or loan debt.

Do public universities hand out lots of scholarships to out of state students? I know people here in Texas who have had kids go to Oregon, Colorado, Arizona State, etc. I just cannot see why my daughter would go to those places at a premium if she can go to Texas or Texas A&M.

Yes. A lot will adjust the tuition cost to be competitive with in-state options.

We're #1 now if people are not paying close attention:

2024 Top Performers on Social Mobility: National Liberal Arts Colleges – Top 3
1. Lake Forest College (IL)
2. Agnes Scott College (GA) (tie)
2. Salem College (NC) (tie)
2. Spelman College (GA)

We just have to take one more L.

i wonder when the last time there was a WFU-Salem hetero marriage was
My mom went to Salem undergrad and married my law school graduating Wake dad. Pfeiffer undergrad though, so may not fit the bill!

They also got married in 1980, so probably not making the best case.

My mom went to Salem undergrad and married my law school graduating Wake dad. Pfeiffer undergrad though, so may not fit the bill!

They also got married in 1980, so probably not making the best case.
my mom is a Salem grad and married my dad (WFU med + residency) in 1980 but my mom did get her Master's from Wake. my aunt also went to Salem and my uncle did undergrad at Wake and they probably got married around 82/83.

Back