• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Used Car Help

ellisat2

Reaction score
Pit Bosses:

I'm in the market for a used car, and have to do it pretty quickly. I'm looking for a car with low miles and as new a model year as I can get for the money the insurance company gave me to replace my car. But I don't even know where to start, really.

I had an '05 Toyota Camry LE with 130K miles that I'm convinced would have gone 200K. In looking at used cars, I'm looking mostly at Toyotas and Hondas (which I have experience with) and Fords and Chevys (which I have no experience with). I am wondering if anyone has advice on models and model years that I should look for/avoid.

I want a car, not an SUV, if that helps.

thanks, and let me know if more info would help with the advice.

ellis

Pit Bosses:

I'm in the market for a used car, and have to do it pretty quickly. I'm looking for a car with low miles and as new a model year as I can get for the money the insurance company gave me to replace my car. But I don't even know where to start, really.

I had an '05 Toyota Camry LE with 130K miles that I'm convinced would have gone 200K. In looking at used cars, I'm looking mostly at Toyotas and Hondas (which I have experience with) and Fords and Chevys (which I have no experience with). I am wondering if anyone has advice on models and model years that I should look for/avoid.

I want a car, not an SUV, if that helps.

thanks, and let me know if more info would help with the advice.

ellis

Concerned about the danger of rollovers?

I personally don't know much about cars other than to say most of my experience has been with Toyota and Honda. I really don't like any of the cars that Ford or Chevy makes.

I've only ever owned trucks and SUVs and plan on keeping it that way.

Try Carmax, I'm also in the market for a used vehicle and have been surprised with their selection.

Oh and I still hate your stupid fantasy team.

Carmax is good if you don't want to put any effort into buying a car and you don't mind spending a significant premium for the car.
If you go the Carmax route you'll have a better chance of getting a car that is in good shape and less likely to have significant problems or need significant repairs (at least in the short run, as you really don't know about the long run) but make no doubt about it, you're paying a significant premium for that peace of mind, probably something along the lines of at least 2 or 3 grand on a $15k car

Carmax is good if you don't want to put any effort into buying a car and you don't mind spending a significant premium for the car.
If you go the Carmax route you'll have a better chance of getting a car that is in good shape and less likely to have significant problems or need significant repairs (at least in the short run, as you really don't know about the long run) but make no doubt about it, you're paying a significant premium for that peace of mind, probably something along the lines of at least 2 or 3 grand on a $15k car

this is very true. you WILL pay more at carmax. but apparently people like their no-haggle deal because they are still the number 1 used car retailer.

For a lower-cost value vehicle, I would at least look at the Hyundai. I have never had one but I know plenty of people that drive them.

redirector.corda

Bear in mind that American cars depreciate faster than Japanese, and nowadays are just as reliable. If you're looking for the best deal, grab a low-mileage, recent model Ford or Chevy.

I echo the above sentiments about Carmax, and you should use the prices you find at Carmax as your price ceiling. If you shop around, you can find the same cars elsewhere for much less.

I bought a used Altima from some random used car dealer two years ago. Like smallbigtall said, Honda's and Toyota's really hold their value. So Altima's while bigger than civics/corollas can be found for a few grand less. Downside I guess is that the Altima is probably less reliable.

My advice would be pick up the consumer reports car buying guide and check carfax on whatever you start seriously looking at.

what's the ballpark on price range?

i need to make a similar decision around xmas time.

I would look at getting a 2010+ Ford Fusion. It won Motortrend Car of year in 2010. It has tested better then the Camry and Accord and you can probably get one for cheaper than a Camry or Accord.

You can get a pretty well equipped 2010 Fusion for around 16-18g. They are also everywhere so you won't have a hard time finding one. You could look at getting one from like Hertz or another rental company since you can get a good deal on a car that was a rental.

Last edited:
Hmmm...don't see the Camaro in the garage, and know she doesn't have one. Sorry that I misread the terms of the auction...I might think of buying it if it stays at $10K ;-)

Hmmm...don't see the Camaro in the garage, and know she doesn't have one. Sorry that I misread the terms of the auction...I might think of buying it if it stays at $10K ;-)

Go to the 2nd picture. The one where you see the rear of the car and the house is in the background. The garage is on the left and there is a white camaro in the garage. The new one, not the old one.

Back