• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Taking my wife to SF for the week and we are going to see the Santa Clara Dead shows.

The new Muse is on Spotify

I remember listening to the Resistance in 09 and being kind of disappointed with it. Haven't listened since. Are you a big Muse fan? How does the latest stack up?

I remember listening to the Resistance in 09 and being kind of disappointed with it. Haven't listened since. Are you a big Muse fan? How does the latest stack up?

Wouldn't say I'm a huge Muse fan, but I've listened to everything they have. Resistance is easily my least favorite of their albums, although it did grow on me when I revisited it. Just thought it was too big of a departure for them.

I'm currently listening to the final song on Drones, and I'm happy to report that it's much closer to Origin of Symmetry/Absolution than it is to Black Holes/Resistance. The lead off track "Dead Inside" is sort of Resistance-ish with a funky electro beat, but from then on it's much more guitar oriented. There's some nice shredding on track 5 "Reapers" and a heavy crunching riff like from "Hysteria" on "The Globalist" in between some typical operatic piano (looks like it's only available on premium Spotify since it's 10 minutes long).

One of the early tracks sampled the "SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE" bit from Full Metal Jacket and it was awesome.

ETA- I totally missed The 2nd Law. Like, don't remember hearing a thing about it. I see that it's from 2012, so I'll chalk this up to being #gradschool'd

Last edited:
YOU GUYS.

I saw D'Angelo last night. Holy shit. It was easily the greatest concert that I've attended thus far in my fairly short life.

The band (the Vanguard) was unbelievably tight and definitely gave his last touring band (the legendary Soultronics) a run for their money. Chris Dave is drummer jesus, Pino is bassist jesus, and Jesse from Morris day and the Time, etc. etc. The female backup singer Kendra is probably going to blow up at some point. She's on point. But D, you guys. D was everywhere. It's kind of crazy how underrated of a guitarist he is, in large part because nobody reads liner notes and he is usually backed by two leads when he plays live.

Dude played for about 2.5 hours, which included two encores. The end of the first set and the two encores were anchored by these really long medley that incorporated a ton of classics (which is kind of par for the course for a D show) with his own material sandwiched in between.

A majority of the material came from his new record, but he threw in Chicken Grease, Left & Right, Brown Sugar, and a 17-minute long rendition of Untitled that ended the show. The song came organically out of a disgusting Chris Dave drum solo. That dude has to be the best in the game right now. As the song wound down, a member of the band would stop playing and walk off of the stage - one by one - until it was just D and Pino. Then, Pino walked off and it was just D on the keys. Fucking magical.

Most importantly, D looked like he was having a great time and the audience loved him.

If there are still tix left for this tour in your city, then go. Pay whatever. This show was just music heaven.

I'm pissed. scored free tickets to D'angelo, then had to cancel because leaving the day of for bachelor party in colorado. Things could be worse i guess.

Schiff dropped a Schubert album this year. Played on his almost 200 year old fortepiano.

1433936001_andras-schiff-franz-schubert.jpg

Easiest link to listen I could find is here: http://player.ecmrecords.com/schiff-242526

I'm pissed. scored free tickets to D'angelo, then had to cancel because leaving the day of for bachelor party in colorado. Things could be worse i guess.

I'd be pissed, too. Can you catch another date on this tour? I think he'll be back in the US for a date or two in the Fall.

Goddamn that Shakey Graves show was fun, thst dude has a ton of energy. Much louder and more uptempo than his records.

Ben Zimmerman recorded most of The Baltika Years between 1992 and 2002 with a Tandy DeskMate computer.

electronic/idm

I'd be pissed, too. Can you catch another date on this tour? I think he'll be back in the US for a date or two in the Fall.

I'll try but it would have to probably be KC or Lawrence for me to swing it and I'd be surprised if he came back through. Feel like I'm missing a big one.

Damn.

I remember the first time I listened to Free Jazz. I was taking summer classes at UNF and the jazz professor recommended I go to the library and check it out. Holy shit what a crazy record.

Gonna pour one out for Ornette tonight.

Damn. I asked for jazz recommendations a few weeks ago and gave the Shape of Jazz to Come a whirl after El Chupe mentioned him.

Back