• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

USMNT for 2018 WC

cville deac

Reaction score
Was thinking of starting a thread on this topic and Screamin suggested it, so here goes. I looked up the ages of our field players, and here they are:

Altidore 24 - should have 1 or 2 left
Beasley 32 - done and thanks for playing as well as he did at left back at his age
Beckerman 32 - see Beasley
Bedoya 27 - maybe 1 more left, but didn't do that much at this WC
Besler 27 - better than expected but overmatched at the end by Belgium, maybe 1 more
Bradley 26 - had his best game against Belgium by far, 1 more
Brooks 21 - if he improves, maybe 2 more
Cameron 29 - pretty horrible WC and done
Chandler 25 - young enough but good enough?
Davis 32 - done and have no idea why he was there instead of Donovan
Dempsey 31 - maybe 1 more?
Diskerud 23 - young enough
Gonzalez 25 - played much better than I expected, 1 or 2 left if improves?
Green 19 - could be a mainstay for a while if he improves
Johannsson 23 - hope he improves
Fabian 26 - played well, should be around next time
Jones 32 - played well but age will prolly get him for the next one
Wondo 31 - done and have no idea why he was there instead of EJ
Yedlin 20 - exciting fast kid
Zusi 27 - maybe 1 more, thought he was ok

All of our keepers are getting up there in age, but at least 1 or 2 should be back for 1 more. Altidore, Bradley, Green, Fabian and Yedlin will hopefully be good for the next time or 2. For those of y'all who follow soccer closer, who else do we have coming down the pike? It'd be great to have a guy like Kompany in the back and some big strikers with more speed guys like Yedlin and Green. Any chances of that?

Edited to add Mix.

Last edited:
"Official US Soccer / World Cup 2018 Thread"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Left off Mix

No way Dempsey plays in another WC

Gedion Zelalem on Arsenal is supposed to be the (next) second-coming for American soccer. He's 17. Unsurprisingly, he's German-American and needs to be naturalized first.

Last edited:
Was thinking of starting a thread on this topic and Screamin suggested it, so here goes. I looked up the ages of our field players, and here they are:

Beasley 32 - done and thanks for playing as well as he did at left back at his age
Besler 27 - better than expected but overmatched at the end by Belgium, maybe 1 more
Diskrud- Weird that he was the only field play to not get off the bench

All of our keepers are getting up there in age, but at least 1 or 2 should be back for 1 more. Altidore, Bradley, Green, Fabian and Yedlin will hopefully be good for the next time or 2. For those of y'all who follow soccer closer, who else do we have coming down the pike? It'd be great to have a guy like Kompany in the back and some big strikers with more speed guys like Yedlin and Green. Any chances of that?

Altidore- 2 world cups left, sucks so hard that we had to play this one without him. Altered everything
Beasley- Went down in glory, surprised everyone
Beckerman- Proved everyone wrong, but he's finished now
Bedoya- Didn't impress me, will be here in 2018
Besler- Favorite to start in Russia 2018
Bradley- Captain for the next 8 years, IMO.
Brooks- Very promising from the little we saw of him
Cameron- Will probably be around in 2018, very disappointing WC though
Chandler- Who knows, not a fan
Davis- Done, head scratcher, Landon Donovan...
Dempsey- Will probably call it quits after the next Gold Cup, don't expect to see him in Russia
Gonzalez- Impressed, the upside is there
Green- Lol did he really have to score that goal?
Johannsson- Disappointed but with Altidore out we do not suit his style of play. Will replace Dempsey in Russia
Johnson- Starter in 2018, one of the top 3 field players, IMO
Jones- USMNT MVP over the four games, and that says a lot because I don't really like him. Will be difficult to replace his engine
Wondo- Sad way to come in and go out at the same time
Yedlin- Bright spot and very encouraging
Zusi- I'm a fan but was extremely disappointed this tournament

Names to watch for 2018 are: Agudelo, Boyd, Zelalam (If he commits), Gil, Holden (long shot to any type of recovery), Palmer-Brown, Gyau, and many more that I'm forgetting

Thanks M&C, forgot about Mix and was wondering why Jurgen didn't play him because he's better than Davis and I thought looked good in pre-WC friendlies. As for Dempsey, if he stays in great shape, I was thinking he could make it as a 2nd half offensive sub. But then again, I think of what Xavi and Forlan looked like this time around at that age, and it wasn't pretty.

Was listening to some "expert" on ESPN radio say that goalie depth is a serious issue for US

This year has really shown the importance of winning the group and getting seeded for the draw.

Hope we have a baller next 3 1/2 years. We have a chance with the Copa America on home soil

sd3 loves making up random John Brooks chants and cheers

sd3 loves making up random John Brooks chants and cheers

Bro I dont think that was me. Wait, maybe it was. But I wasnt on the bus for when the guy said he would give him a beej, so that definitely wasnt me!

Was listening to some "expert" on ESPN radio say that goalie depth is a serious issue for US

Yeah definitely not true. Both of our keepers on the bench could have started for 60-80% of the teams in the world cup. Guzan is still relatively young for a keeper as well

This is the last WC for Beasley, Beckerman, Dempsey, Jones and Howard. Wondo better not fucking suit up in a USMNT national team jersey ever again. He is officially in the Robbie Findley/Ricardo Clark zone.

I would love to see Bradley shift into more of a regista, as he's better suited for that role, and he'll be four years older in 2018. However that would require one or two of our younger guys to step up and take over the attacking CM position. As of right now the only viable option for that would be Mix. I also would like to see us give Zusi and Bedoya some run in that role, as I'd prefer us look to younger, quicker options on the wing. Or run a 4-2-2-2 with Zusi and Bedoya as your wingers and AJ and Jozy playing off each other.

Also I think Copa 2016 is going to be another tourney that this nation really gets into. Especially with the emergence of fun, traditional B-level sides such as Colombia, Chile and Costa Rica in this WC. Hopefully ESPN has the rights to it.

I imagine the GK depth comment was looking forward four years. Rimando will be retired and Howard at 39 will probably be as well and if not his skills will be diminishing. Which leaves us with Guzan as the starter and a bunch of question marks. Guys like Cropper, Hamid and Johnson have potential but are far from being certainties on the international level. I think questioning the depth behind Guzan is perfectly fair when looking 3-4 years down the road. It's definitely not as solid as we are used to.

BrivZcyCcAA8iMN.jpg:large

Also I think Copa 2016 is going to be another tourney that this nation really gets into. Especially with the emergence of fun, traditional B-level sides such as Colombia, Chile and Costa Rica in this WC. Hopefully ESPN has the rights to it.

Can't wait for that

This year has really shown the importance of winning the group and getting seeded for the draw.

Hope we have a baller next 3 1/2 years. We have a chance with the Copa America on home soil

Can you explain why the Copa America is played in 2015 and then again in 2016? I thought it was every four years. Also, isn't the Gold Cup next year as well?

Can you explain why the Copa America is played in 2015 and then again in 2016? I thought it was every four years. Also, isn't the Gold Cup next year as well?

Yes, Gold Cup in 2015. If the US wins it, they go to the 2017 Confederations Cup in Russia. If they lose, there will be a one match playoff to see who represents CONCACAF in the Confed Cup between the US (2013 champions) and the 2015 champion.

Back