• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

heading to copper this weekend with 2 sons, moving one into employee housing. honestly he doesn't need my help but whatever i'm going.
Nice!

I have never been to Copper but I hear it is less crowded than the neighboring resorts with just as good conditions

General ski notes

Tier 1

If I could pick one spot to go for a 4 day trip I’d stay at Breck and ski Summit County. Breck is my favorite combo of great conditions and great town. Vail back bowls are so much fun. I’ve never fit in Beaver Creek or Copper to the itinerary but I’d like to check them out. A-Basin is OK.

Snowbird / Alta are the best resorts I’ve ever been to in terms of overall conditions. It’s a shame the town stinks. Park City / Canyons town is great, maybe the merger has made it better but I was never impressed compared to the other UT / CO resorts, although skiing over and under bridges is pretty cool. Deer Valley is great but boujee.

Jackson Hole is where I really want to go (only with advanced skiers). I’ve heard Whistler and Banff are amazing.

Tier 2

Mont Tremblant really impressed me. Being in a French speaking pocket of a foreign country adds to the appeal. Now when people say east coast skiing sucks I’ll ask them if they’ve been here.

I went to Stowe in brutally cold wind chill weather so I can’t really comment on it. I wasn’t that impressed, but I’ve also never felt that level of cold before.

Skiing in Japan would be awesome for the cultural experience.

Tier 3

WV (favorite is Timberline / Canaan Valley - great spot for a long weekend drive)

Mid Atlantic (favorite is Whitetail)

Tier 4

NC: Sugar and Beech have some nice runs. App Ski is fine for beginners.

No matter the Tier:

Doesn’t get much better than post ski hot tub with a beer and good company!

Heading out to Sun Valley.

Sounds like they’ve had a ton of snow. Lots of avalanches. We stay out warm springs road, a very long dirt road where there have been avalanches in unusual numbers and locations, in a home at the foot of a mountain.

Hopefully we’ll be OK. If not, it’s been nice y’all.

@freakadeac have you ever done Telluride? That is S-Tier.

Also, comparing East Coast skiing to West skiing is apples and oranges. Stowe is probably the best we have when it comes to amenities, but the skiing is the same tier as most places in Vermont.

Yeah, I'll probably never go back to Stowe unless it's free or something. Maybe I'll just go drink and stuff.

Yeah, I'll probably never go back to Stowe unless it's free or something. Maybe I'll just go drink and stuff.
Right, because you are flying anyways, so why not just fly somewhere out West. The way flights, accommodations, and passes are now, its not that different a price, especially if you have Ikon or epic.

Right, because you are flying anyways, so why not just fly somewhere out West. The way flights, accommodations, and passes are now, its not that different a price, especially if you have Ikon or epic.

Nonstop flight from Charlotte to Burlington is cheap and only two hours with no time zone change. Then, it's less than an hour drive to Stowe.

It's a lot easier than going out west on an almost four hour flight to Denver across two time zones and then having a two hour drive to Breckenridge.

Stowe's not a bad option for a long weekend. Definitely better skiing than NC. But as mentioned before, it can be cold as hell up there.

So come to SLC where the drive is 30min to the resorts

I was there last month and caught Covid. But yeah, Utah is good but needs dispensaries. Also, it's a 4-hour flight, but we all know that.

Anybody hit up Tahoe or Mammoth this season? They literally have too much snow. It's gotten to the point where some lift cables/chairs that are normally 10+ feet off the ground are being buried and having to be dug out or are just inoperable. And they're getting smoked again this week.

Anybody hit up Tahoe or Mammoth this season? They literally have too much snow. It's gotten to the point where some lift cables/chairs that are normally 10+ feet off the ground are being buried and having to be dug out or are just inoperable. And they're getting smoked again this week.
my step brother who lives in San Diego went to Tahoe last weekend with his family. Pictures looked amazing. kids are 7 and 5 and they did awesome skiing.

@freakadeac have you ever done Telluride? That is S-Tier.

Also, comparing East Coast skiing to West skiing is apples and oranges. Stowe is probably the best we have when it comes to amenities, but the skiing is the same tier as most places in Vermont.
I’ve never done Telluride. The travel logistics always seemed like a headache compared to Denver or SLC, although Montrose does have a direct flight from CLT and a few other places, so that’s huge.

Mont Tremblant checks a lot of the West boxes (gondola, high speed lifts, long runs, glades, very little ice, good restaurants) but it doesn’t have bowls or the West elevation. Stowe doesn’t have a gondola or glades.

Back