• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Viable Strategy for Thursday

one4theroad

Reaction score
OK, students of the game and basketball gurus: Maryland seems like a really bad matchup for us. What SHOULD our team do to try to produce a different result from our two regular season meetings? What line-up gives us the best chance to win?

Any line-up that doesn't include [Redacted] as our head coach?

I'll bite: Against Maryland, I think you have to let their guards get looks early. Once Faust and Howard get into scoring mode, there's no looking back. Their bigs will destroy ours, but if you can contain those guards once their tunnel vision is activated, then I think there's a chance. That being said, all of this is contingent on our game plan changing on the offensive end of the court, which has not happened much this season. If CJ and CMM can't create anything, then stagnation will ensue and this one goes to the Terps.

Leave Moto on the baseline in a larger number of offensive sets, close to the basket. He's most effective when he's within five feet of the basket, no matter what else is going on on the court. He doesn't have a large set of offensive moves yet but he's athletic and he gets fouled when he takes it to the basket a large number of times. Set him up opposite of Devin and let them screen a bit for each other down low while running CJ off some screens on some pick and pop plays. Devin is good at roaming out a little bit further and setting picks to open up shots. We also need to make sure that we play a tempo we're comfortable in but not a tempo that's too frenetic that we're just totally out of control.

One thing which I think cannot be understated though is that [Redacted] absolutely needs to make sure that he maximizes lineups. Teams make a large number of runs when [Redacted] chooses to take CJ and Devin out of the game at the same time around the 12 minute mark (second media timeout). This, plus his well-mentioned affinity for playing Chase and Cav together, infuriates me to no end. Madison should get the start again with CMM coming off the bench. These two guys bring different styles and CMM looked more confident when he was coming off the bench yesterday. Devin should get as many touches as possible down low.

On defense we have to stop the ball when they try and penetrate. In the last meeting against them we just let Wells waltz down the lane and didn't even attempt to prevent their fast break drives. Devin has to stay out of foul trouble while trying to pick up fouls on Maryland's bigs, which he is very good at doing. Len is a great defender but he's overly aggressive and if Dev can give him a couple good pump fakes early he may be able to get Len thinking too much/draw a couple early fouls on him.

This is a pretty bad matchup due to their athleticism, but Wake can win this game if they have good production out of Devin, CJ, and at least one other guy on the team. Wake has a tendency to have two guys having pretty good games, but it's hard to win if only two guys do this, we have to have a third guy.

Maryland is probably going to win, but this is a winnable one for the Deacs and if Devin, CJ, and Moto play like they did on Sunday we could steal this one.

Okay, here's what we do. I assume we're busing over to G-boro for the game due to the proximity. As we loading the bus, have one of the equipment managers tell Bzzz they need him to look at something in the equipment room. The equipment manager points to something, Bzzz walks in the room, the equipment manager chains the door and the team takes off without him.

Terrible matchup. Its not that MD is a good team, its just that we do not match up well. I actually think we have a better chance to beat any other team in the ACC.

Our best bet is to get off to a great start, hit some shots early. This may get them to start chucking and take them away from the inside where they will destroy us if they so choose.

Would also help if Wells picks up some early fouls or otherwise gets thrown off his game.

Maybe CJ will put us on his back and Devin will stay out of foul trouble and Chase will make like four threes off the bench. But we need a perfect storm type scenario to come away with a victory.

MD played like crap in Winston and they still beat us. This is going to be ugly.

So does this being the Twerps last ACC tourney make them more determined or make them play tight?

Just let Alex Len get the ball as much as he wants and then watch the biggest pussy to ever play in the ACC win the game for you.

Contract

Tonya-Harding-9542583-1-402.jpg

[sorry, that's all i got]

I'd start by playing CJ 40 minutes. And if we were to build up a lead resist the urge to take him out. Tell Moto if he shoots from further than nine feet from the basket he will walk home. Put in the pack line defense this week just to screw with Maryland's mind. Tell CMM that attacking the basket is never a bad option and pray that Travis has a good night. Devin takes care of his own shit. I'm not worried about him. He played his ass off in both meetings. As for the rest of the guys... get the socks right and remember you are representing the proud tradition of Wake Forest basketball. And smile. Smile a lot. This is national television not ESPN3. Do all that and we lock in for a couple more years of Bzzball.

Back